YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Dhamma ending age? - Dhamma Wheel

Dhamma ending age?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
chris98e

Dhamma ending age?

Postby chris98e » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:20 pm

Is there such a thing as a Dhamma ending age? I heard of a Dharma ending age. But is there such a thing as a Dhamma ending age? (please no posts telling me that Dhamma and Dharma are the same thing) :candle:

cooran

Re: Dhamma ending age?

Postby cooran » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:37 pm

Hello chris98e,

There have been previous threads on this topic:
Dharma-ending age
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2733
Dhamma ending in the future
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10029

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:41 pm

manas

Postby manas » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:33 pm

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:52 pm

manas

Postby manas » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:50 am

Tilt I've been wondering lately if you have done one of those 'dhamma degrees', or are you just very widely read across a wide range of Buddhist subjects? Anyway thanks for the clarification.

When you say "the seeds of it are there" (in the Canon) are you referring to that sutta where there is a mention of the Dhamma only lasting 500 years (which I've heard is slightly suspect in any case...)?
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:10 am

Greetings manasikara,

One of the "seeds" may be the following...

SN 20.7: Ani Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Anything specifying timeframes in numbers of years is (I believe) commentarial, even though different commentaries provide different timeframes.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

manas

Postby manas » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:56 am

Tilt, Retro or anyone - it appears (from my side, anyway) that Tilt's latest reply to me is coming from my account... Is there some 'crossed wires' here, or some kind of 'bug'...?

from manas...i think :thinking:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:06 am

Greetings,

It would seem that Tilt accidentally edited, rather than responded to your post.

:computerproblem:

Metta,
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

manas

Postby manas » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:57 am

Last edited by manas on Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:04 am

Greetings,

He doesn't have access to your count - but moderators can edit posts.

It's quite an easy thing to accidentally do, because the edit button is close to the quote button.

:focus:

Metta,

manas

Postby manas » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:15 am

Ahh, ok, now I understand...thanks, Retro. I just needed to put my mind at rest...

If I got anxious it is because of some bad experiences with another forum (not a Buddhist one), where a friend and I began to suspect that our 'private messages' were not really private...we both ended up leaving that place...I got a bit 'burned' at that time

:focus: agreed, all good now.

:anjali:

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:31 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:36 am

manas

Postby manas » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:22 am

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”