im new to Buddhism and need help...

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Phoebee

im new to Buddhism and need help...

Post by Phoebee »

Hi i'm 13 and i really like the idea of Buddhism and want to be a part of it but i don't really learn about it in school and what ever i search never gives me the right information i need, i want to know the origin of Buddhism, how to meditate and meditation chants that there might be and everything else. Any information will be great but not were to buy books about it.
Jesse

Re: im new to Buddhism and need help...

Post by Jesse »

Most of these questions can be easily answered with a google search, but many people here should have plenty of information for you.

Breathing meditation is probably the most simple way to start. You simply relax somewhere comfortable, sitting or lying down, then you become aware of your breathing, as you breath in, gently feel the air enter your nose, and gently follow it as you exhale. You can count each breath if you'd like. In-out 1, in-out 2, and so on until you reach 10, then start again at 1.

Once you become aware that your attention has shifted to something else, other than following your breath, gently go back to the exercise above.. try this for 5 minutes or so a day. I would recommend starting with this meditation, and then moving on to chanting, but it's up to you. It's really about relaxation, focus, attention and concentration. Breath and chants are exactly the same. It's a preference.

I hope you find what your looking for, and I wish you luck on your search. :smile:
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Phoebee wrote:... i want to know the origin of Buddhism,...
Hello Phobee - you should read the life story of Shakyamuni Buddha. Although not the best movie (it's also not the worst movie) "Little Buddha" has an accessible presentation of the life and enlightenment of Shakyamuni Buddha and is available on Youtube.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
randomseb

Post by randomseb »

If you are into reading, Thich Nhat Hanh's biography "Old Path White Clouds: Walking in the Footsteps of the Buddha" is a really fine read, straightforward and without much of the stretch belief kind of stuff you find in many buddhist texts.. Just a nice presentation of his life..

There are a few decent movies on the subject,like Little Buddha, with Kenu Reeves, is not bad.. Here's some online ones:

The Buddha - Filmmaker David Grubin presents the story of the Buddha's life and teachings
http://video.pbs.org/video/1461557530/

The Legend of Buddha (animation) - I haven't seen this, let us know if it's any good heh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdUJrtCbZqM

edit: i started watching this animation, it's pretty entertaining, though it's dubbed.. I haven't heard of this version of buddha's life story before (there are many variations to the basic theme)
Disclaimer: If I have posted about something, then I obviously have no idea what I am talking about!
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Hi Phoebee - best starting point by far is http://www.buddhanet.net/

Have a careful look through the menus on that site - there are lots of 'e-books' and also a good presentation of 'the outline of Buddhism' specially written for the Australian school system.

All the best.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Hi Phoebee,

Welcome to the forum :smile: have you talked to your parents about your interest in Buddhism? What are their thoughts? Are they willing to take you to a Temple or local Buddhist group?

Gassho,
Seishin
dyanaprajna2011

Post by dyanaprajna2011 »

"If you want to travel the Way of Buddhas and Zen masters, then expect nothing, seek nothing, and grasp nothing." -Dogen
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

I would look into the different sutta and sutra collections in conjunction with all else, and you might want to keep the eyes peeled for a respectable practitioner of some sort to interact with offline.
Punya

Post by Punya »

Hi Phoebee. I'm not sure what you mean about books - is it the cost? If so, you can read a very well regarded introductory book What the Buddha Taught here http://www.quangduc.com/English/basic/6 ... ht-01.html. I wish you well with your explorations.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
randomseb

Post by randomseb »

I translated that as: don't try to sell some book to me or attempt to profit off me in some way :techproblem:
Disclaimer: If I have posted about something, then I obviously have no idea what I am talking about!
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

Unfortunately, Wikipedia is not very good with general Buddhist topics, since a few opinionated people come in and dominate those pages. A number of good introductory books exist, and any good school library ought to have something--if nothing else, encyclopedia articles. Since someone mentioned the Keanu Reeves movie Little Buddha, I recall that there was a very good tie-in volume called Entering the Stream, which is a book of representative introductory essays from different Buddhist traditions. You'll find a lot of relatively narrow books like What the Buddha Taught or The Buddhist Bible . Ideally, the OP can find a way to visit some temples and dharma centers, preferably of several different kinds. This is really the best way to learn.

How do your parents feel about your interest in Buddhism? Do you think they would visit temples with you? If they are opposed to Buddhism--perhaps they belong to some other religion--then this is an important consideration.
(no longer participating on this board)
randomseb

Post by randomseb »

Personally I think it's none of his/her parent's business what legitimate spiritual path he/she is interested in, and why would it be? Many parents are not very open to things not of their own belief system, and why should that limit one's awakening?
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

Because she's 13, and her parents need to know what she's doing, particularly if she's going to be visiting strange temples and dharma centers. If they are opposed to Buddhism for some reason (as sometimes happens), then their wishes should be respected.
(no longer participating on this board)
randomseb

Post by randomseb »

Whiles I agree that his or her parents ought to know where she may be going if she goes to strange places, it's not any of their business what religion she chooses to explore.. Their own selfish needs should not limit the growth of their own children, and I find that forcing one's religion onto one's children is pretty a disgusting indoctrination process :shrug:
MaitriYNOD

Post by MaitriYNOD »

Hi Phoebee, It's wonderful that you have developed such an interest at such a young age, that's a remarkable sign of maturity. I would recommend learning about the Buddhist centers in your area and visiting those places with a friend. Personal advice given one on one is usually more helpful than anything you might stumble across on the internet, and you can ask questions more directly. Do you have any idea what variety of Buddhism you'd like to explore? Tibetan? Zen? Theravada? If you don't know the difference that's ok, just explore all of them and see what you're drawn to.
I am a lustful, angry dullard with no power of realization. Do not put anything I say into practice without first confirming it with a qualified teacher.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”