Independent Nichiren Buddhists?

Independent Nichiren Buddhists?

Postby dyanaprajna2011 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:30 pm

I've recently been considering changing my school from Zen to Nichiren Buddhism, for a variety of reasons. I'm not really thrilled with the sectarianism of the various schools, but I've been hearing of independent practitioners. Does anyone here know anything about them, or have any information on them?
"If you want to travel the Way of Buddhas and Zen masters, then expect nothing, seek nothing, and grasp nothing." -Dogen
dyanaprajna2011

Re: Independent Nichiren Buddhists?

Postby dude » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:05 am

dyanaprajna2011 wrote:I've recently been considering changing my school from Zen to Nichiren Buddhism, for a variety of reasons. I'm not really thrilled with the sectarianism of the various schools, but I've been hearing of independent practitioners. Does anyone here know anything about them, or have any information on them?

I don't, What have you heard? Or are you talking about the groups who split from Nichiren Shoshu?
dude

Postby Jikan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:06 am

I can verify that independent practitioners exist, and that they practice. It's hard to generalize further than that.

I know of some persons who practice regularly at home, and occasionally with a temple or group that may be some distance away. Geography is a factor here. People practice on their own as best they can when they can't practice with others (this is true across Buddhist traditions).

What to do then? Find a way to practice that speaks to you, inspires you, and that you have the means to practice... practice it as best you can with all your heart.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby illarraza » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:22 pm

In the USA, there are nearly as many independent Nichiren practitioners as there are members of organized groups, save for the Soka Gakkai [if you can call them Nichiren Buddhists]. You can check out and communicate with Independent "Nichiren" Buddhists at the Independent Sangha on yahoo groups.

illarraza
illarraza

Postby dyanaprajna2011 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:29 pm

[quote=dude]I don't, What have you heard? Or are you talking about the groups who split from Nichiren Shoshu?

[/quote]
I don't think they split from any one group, they just decided that they didn't want to be part of any of the groups, like Soka Gakkai, Nichiren Shu, or Nicheren Shoshu.

[quote=illarraza]In the USA, there are nearly as many independent Nichiren practitioners as there are members of organized groups, save for the Soka Gakkai [if you can call them Nichiren Buddhists]. You can check out and communicate with Independent "Nichiren" Buddhists at the Independent Sangha on yahoo groups.

[/quote]
Thank you for that info.
"If you want to travel the Way of Buddhas and Zen masters, then expect nothing, seek nothing, and grasp nothing." -Dogen
dyanaprajna2011

Postby rory » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:27 am

Here we go the Independent Nichiren Buddhist locater:) You have to register first. But it's very helpful. http://nblocater.org/
as a Nichiren Buddhist it's very easy to be Independent as there are so many Indy Nbuddhists out there.
gassho
Rory
Honmon Butsuryu Shu USA http://www.beikokuhbs.com/about-us.html

NamuMyohoRengeKyo
rory

Postby Dharma Bum » Mon May 20, 2013 5:06 pm

Hello all

By way of introduction, I have been in times past a member of both SGI and Nichiren Shoshu temple. Kicked the tires with a small Nichiren Shu sangha that didn't last long (or maybe I just lost track of them).

Went independent some years ago. It gets lonely sometimes, and makes it easy to be lazy toward practice, but in some ways it's a better path for an old dharma bum. And nobody complains when I let the Telecaster do the chanting.

cheers,
an old bum
Entering through the Telecaster Dharma Gate
Dharma Bum

Postby robby » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:58 am

Dharma Bum wrote:Hello all

By way of introduction, I have been in times past a member of both SGI and Nichiren Shoshu temple. Kicked the tires with a small Nichiren Shu sangha that didn't last long (or maybe I just lost track of them).

Went independent some years ago. It gets lonely sometimes, and makes it easy to be lazy toward practice, but in some ways it's a better path for an old dharma bum. And nobody complains when I let the Telecaster do the chanting.

cheers,
an old bum

Where's the like button?
robby

Return to Nichiren