Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Dronma

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Dronma »

Xango wrote:Hi,

I don't want to distract the discussion with technical issues, but this
Dronma wrote: The real problem is that there is no replay of the teaching that oldbob is talking about. :shrug:
you can also fix partially. There is the possibility to record the teaching from the webcast while running, for example with a sound recording program like Audacity (free download, easy to use). You can then later listen to the file again and again.

Of course, in this case you should at least be online at the beginning of the teaching to start the recording.

Greetings
Thank you, Xango. :smile:
But, 1) now it is too late, and 2) it is not legal, nor ethical..... ;)
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Dronma wrote:
Xango wrote:Hi,

I don't want to distract the discussion with technical issues, but this
Dronma wrote: The real problem is that there is no replay of the teaching that oldbob is talking about. :shrug:
you can also fix partially. There is the possibility to record the teaching from the webcast while running, for example with a sound recording program like Audacity (free download, easy to use). You can then later listen to the file again and again.

Of course, in this case you should at least be online at the beginning of the teaching to start the recording.

Greetings
Thank you, Xango. :smile:
But, 1) now it is too late, and 2) it is not legal, nor ethical..... ;)
How is it not legal?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

It is perfectly legal.
Regarding ethics, I guess what we should do is get to know what ChNN thinks of such a solution...
It is too late for sure, though.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

treehuggingoctopus wrote:It is perfectly legal.
Regarding ethics, I guess what we should do is get to know what ChNN thinks of such a solution...
It is too late for sure, though.
I think its possible to run the risk of over regulating ourselves and also not thinking for ourselves for fear of doing something wrong. I don't see anything wrong with recording for personal use. In my local gars operating procedures for retreats there was(haven't looked at it for 7 or so years) even a section at one time pointing out it was fine for people attending teachings to record a copy for themselves via portable recorders. I don't see it being any different for webcasts.
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

treehuggingoctopus wrote:It is perfectly legal.
Why don't you ask first International Shang Shung Institute and International Dzogchen Gakyil?
I know that they keep all copyrights for all teachings material inside the Dzogchen Community.
mañjughoṣamaṇi

Post by mañjughoṣamaṇi »

simhanada wrote:In my local gars operating procedures for retreats there was(haven't looked at it for 7 or so years) even a section at one time pointing out it was fine for people attending teachings to record a copy for themselves via portable recorders. I don't see it being any different for webcasts.
This is how things have always been to my knowledge. It is what I was told when I first joined the community as well.
སེམས་རྣམ་པར་གྲོལ་བར་བྱའི་ཕྱིར་བྱམས་པ་བསྒོམ་པར་བྱའོ།
“In order to completely liberate the mind, cultivate loving kindness.” -- Maitribhāvana Sūtra

"The bottom always falls out of the quest for the elementary. The irreducibly individual recedes like the horizon, as our analysis advances." -- Genesis, Michel Serres
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

@Dronma:

I won't ask because I don't record anything, as simple as that.
If you record a webcast for strictly personal use, you're certainly not breaking any laws, though.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Dronma wrote:2) it is not legal, nor ethical..... ;)
It seems to me that there is neither an ethical nor a legal issue involved if the recordings are made for personal use. Of course a recording renders the wangs and lungs. Neither do I believe there is a legal or ethical issue involved for the closed webcasts, again though, if the recording is made strictly for personal use...

Anyway, considering some of the bizzare hours that the webcasts are made, or due to a students personal and professional responsibilities, do you think it is better for them to miss out on a teaching or to record it and watch it at a later hour?

As for copyright, that only applies if you try to sell the recordings or claim them as you own.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

I think it is best to do what the Guru says to do. No recordings means no recordings.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

And where exactly does "the Guru" say "No recordings!"?

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

gregkavarnos wrote:And where exactly does "the Guru" say "No recordings!"?
Exactly, and why would he? It makes no sense. Rinpoche shouldn't have to micromanage all our collective neurosis. Sometimes we should just use our common sense and get on with things.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Guess I misread something. Would have sworn someone said he said no recordings.
BTW, there are Lamas who prohibit any recording so I wouldnt judge too fast.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I am not judging, I am asking for clarification. If there is a "no recordings" policy then I will have to edit some of the posts in this thread, if there is not...

Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

No worries Greg. I thought Simhananda came across a little judgy.

Anyway, I hope the teachings were beneficial to all.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I don't know if there's a no recordings policy. I do know that ChNN discourages students from discussing and especially debating the teachings in public. I've read this in his books intended for private distribution, and heard it first hand, in person. The example he often gives is of a DC student encountering a practitioner in another tradition, maybe a Gelugpa. There are likely to be differences in view and practice. Do you debate with the person to convince him or her that the DC way is better? NO. Better to keep a low profile.

I think it's worthwhile to reflect on this one. How much of what kind of chatter is useful or helpful? *particularly* among students of the same master?

I mean that as an open-ended question, not as a rhetorical one. I'd like to know what DC people in particular think on this one.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

No chatter, of any kind, is useful in this context. I.M.O.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

Clarence wrote:No worries Greg. I thought Simhananda came across a little judgy.
sorry about that Clarance, one of my many foibles.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

I think in some cases on this thread, there has been a little too much chatter, I myself am guilty of some of that. I think it is most important not to post any specifics of the teaching such as techniques, mantras and visualizations, even some more general teachings of our teachers, beyond that which is found in the sutras, we should try not to speak too much about in public.
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

treehuggingoctopus wrote:@Dronma:

I won't ask because I don't record anything, as simple as that.
If you record a webcast for strictly personal use, you're certainly not breaking any laws, though.
Thank you for the reply, treehuggingoctopus! :smile:
However, it is different what you are just saying than your previous statement: "It is perfectly legal".
Because it is not! ;)
As we can read in all materials which are related with the teachings and they are distributed inside DC:
"All rights of translation, reproduction and partial or total use in any form whatsoever are reserved in all countries" by Shang Shung Institute, of course.
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

gregkavarnos wrote:
Dronma wrote:2) it is not legal, nor ethical..... ;)
It seems to me that there is neither an ethical nor a legal issue involved if the recordings are made for personal use. Of course a recording renders the wangs and lungs. Neither do I believe there is a legal or ethical issue involved for the closed webcasts, again though, if the recording is made strictly for personal use...

Anyway, considering some of the bizzare hours that the webcasts are made, or due to a students personal and professional responsibilities, do you think it is better for them to miss out on a teaching or to record it and watch it at a later hour?

As for copyright, that only applies if you try to sell the recordings or claim them as you own.
Dear Greg,
first of all I am not the one who is responsible to reply in any of your questions.
As I already said, Shang Shung Institute keeps all copyrights inside DC, since the only income of SSI is by donations and by selling this teaching materials to students.
So, everybody who is interested has to ask for permission directly from SSI.
However, it is not ethical, nor legal somebody to exhort publicly other people for applying such methods.
It is simple as that.... :smile:

Return to “Dzogchen”