Breathing meditation in Greek Philokalia

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
lojong1

Breathing meditation in Greek Philokalia

Post by lojong1 »

A note in the English version of Philokalia (p.32 of 'Writings from the Philokalia on Prayer of the Heart') states that the russian contains only an "abreviated paraphrase because the original [Greek] instruction applies to a method of breathing which is now expounded differently."

Anyone have a copy or translation of the full Greek instructions?
dyanaprajna2011

Re: Breathing meditation in Greek Philokalia

Post by dyanaprajna2011 »

Being formerly Eastern Orthodox myself, I felt the need to answer. However, I don't have any knowledge of their being instructions for breathing exercises in either the Greek or Russian versions of the Philokalia. The practice of the Jesus Prayer didn't require, to the best of my knowledge, any specific breathing techniques.
"If you want to travel the Way of Buddhas and Zen masters, then expect nothing, seek nothing, and grasp nothing." -Dogen
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Look under Techniques in this Wiki article, but remember a spiritual guide is recommended.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Prayer#Practice
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

Will wrote:a spiritual guide is recommended
It strongly very is, in Eastern Orthodoxy as in buddhism. They say there is something that just can't be transmitted through a book.

Translations of some of this material is online, with some links at fruitofthecontemplativelife.org under charsimatic christianity.
I believe we still haven't found the full original instruction though. No rush.
GregKavarnos, you have a copy?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

lojong1 wrote:
Will wrote:a spiritual guide is recommended
It strongly very is, in Eastern Orthodoxy as in buddhism. They say there is something that just can't be transmitted through a book.

Translations of some of this material is online, with some links at fruitofthecontemplativelife.org under charsimatic christianity.
I believe we still haven't found the full original instruction though. No rush.
GregKavarnos, you have a copy?
My mother does this practice. I even made her a "mala" for her practice. :smile:

The prayer at the top of the wiki article is correct and is the short version:
"Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, Υἱὲ τοῦ Θεοῦ, ἐλέησόν με τὸν ἁμαρτωλόν."

The full version is:
"Κύριε Ιησού Χριστέ ελέησόν με τον αμαρτωλόν, Υπεραγία Θεοτόκε Σώσον ημάς, Άγιοι του Θεού πρεσβεύσατε υπέρ υμών."

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, the sinner, Holiest Mother of God Save us, God's Saints intecede on our behalf.

Transliteration: ki-ri-e i-i-soo hris-te e-le-is-on me ton a-mar-to-lon, i-per-a-gi-a the-o-to-ke so-son i-mas, a-gi-i too the-oo pres-vev-sa-te i-per i-mon

Now, as for the breathing. I must say I don't really know, but, the "stance" used would definitely effect the breathing. The practitioner sits on a chair, "slumped" forward resting their elbows on their thighs and gazing at their navel.

But again, these are instructions that are best received from a spiritual teacher (πνευματικό) as they will will give you necessary details for your practice.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

PS Why are you looking for this information on New Age Gnostic and Buddhist sites? Why not ask at a Christian Orthodox site?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
MattyNottwo

Post by MattyNottwo »

There is a book called "The Way of The Pilgrim" that is completely focused on this prayer. It is a really good book by an unknown author and his search to "pray unceasingly." Shambhala publications put out a good edition.
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

gregkavarnos wrote:PS Why are you looking for this information on New Age Gnostic and Buddhist sites? Why not ask at a Christian Orthodox site?
That says something about my previous experience with christianity! I will look insha'allah...I just found a documentary on youtube called 'the Pilgrim's Way' with a great EO gentleman in canada. Thank you for the question.
MattyNottwo wrote:There is a book called "The Way of The Pilgrim" that is completely focused on this prayer.
Enjoyed that years ago. Right now though, I'm only really into finding out what has been altered in Nicephorus the monk's teaching.
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

found an EO church near my home, yay
lobster

Post by lobster »

lojong1 wrote:yay
:twothumbsup:

Are you practicing the Jesus prayer? It would seem the answer is in the prayer.
Good luck :hug:

Return to “Lounge”