Evam me sutam

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
practitioner

Evam me sutam

Post by practitioner »

I have been looking for the phrase "Evam me sutam" rendered in both Pali and Sanskrit. If anyone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva
Khalil Bodhi

Re: Evam me sutam

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

It means "Thus have I heard." Is that what you were looking for?

Mettaya,

KB

EDIT: Upon considering this, I think I may have misunderstood. Do you mean you want to see it in something like the Brahmi script?
Looking for a true, virtual community to support your practice? Visit http://dharmapaths.com/
practitioner

Post by practitioner »

Khalil Bodhi wrote: EDIT: Upon considering this, I think I may have misunderstood. Do you mean you want to see it in something like the Brahmi script?
Yes, I would like to see it in Brahmi or Devanagari, etc. I should have been more specific.
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva
Tom

Post by Tom »

practitioner wrote:
Khalil Bodhi wrote: EDIT: Upon considering this, I think I may have misunderstood. Do you mean you want to see it in something like the Brahmi script?
Yes, I would like to see it in Brahmi or Devanagari, etc. I should have been more specific.
The sanskrit in devanagari = एवं मया श्रुतम्

# the first person pronoun in the instrumental in sanskrit is mayā (used since śrutam is a past passive participle).
practitioner

Post by practitioner »

Thank you very much Tom. :namaste:
practitioner

Post by practitioner »

Tom wrote:
practitioner wrote:
The sanskrit in devanagari = एवं मया श्रुतम्

# the first person pronoun in the instrumental in sanskrit is mayā (used since śrutam is a past passive participle).
On this site http://www.drbachinese.org/vbs/1_100/vbs26/26_4.html. The rendering is slightly different. Is this just a matter of slightly different fonts or is one version incorrect?
Tom

Post by Tom »

practitioner wrote: On this site http://www.drbachinese.org/vbs/1_100/vbs26/26_4.html. The rendering is slightly different. Is this just a matter of slightly different fonts or is one version incorrect?
Yes, although they read the same there is a variation in the scripts (1) the first letter "e" has been written differently, and (2) the consonant cluster ś + r / श + र has also been joined differently - it is usually written as "श्र".

The way I wrote it is the usual way you will see it typed in devanagari.

Hope that helps.
practitioner

Post by practitioner »

It does, thank you.

Return to “Language”