Tony Duff/Pema Karpo Dictionaries

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Karma Dorje

Re: Tony Duff/Pema Karpo Dictionaries

Post by Karma Dorje »

Yudron wrote:
ratna wrote:
Yudron wrote:
I just tried it. It's a PowerPC application and so does not work on recent Mac OS.
It works for me on Snow Leopard, using Rosetta software for running PowerPC apps. But this is not available for Lion (10.7) or later.
:(

I think I'll go back to trying to find a PC solution through Parallels. I really liked TibThob.
Can't you run the Windows version of Tibthob in Parallels?

http://www.xfra.net/Tibthob/download.html
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Karma Dorje wrote:

Current download didn't work for me. But I can play around with changing windows versions and see if it helps.
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Yudron wrote:
Karma Dorje wrote:

Current download didn't work for me. But I can play around with changing windows versions and see if it helps.
Looks to me to be old... maybe for Windows 95 or NT. Use XP in the VM with compatibility mode:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292533

Should do the trick.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Karma Dorje wrote:
Yudron wrote:
Karma Dorje wrote:

Looks to me to be old... maybe for Windows 95 or NT. Use XP in the VM with compatibility mode:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292533

Should do the trick.
Thank you. I am using XP, I will try to figure out what the "VM with compatibility mode" is when I get a chance.
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Yudron wrote: Thank you. I am using XP, I will try to figure out what the "VM with compatibility mode" is when I get a chance.
Sorry, Yudron...I didn't mean to be cryptic. IF you are running in the Parallels virtual machine (VM), then just follow the instructions at that link. They should work.
-Padmasambhava
yeshe_khandro

Post by yeshe_khandro »

Hi,

I'm new to the site, and have been looking at the PKTC site for the Illuminator for Mac and iPhone. Seems like the Mac version you have to run PC emulation software for the Illuminator? That isn't clear at the PKTC site the way I read it. They don't have a FAQ as far as I can tell (it's possible I didn't see it).

Also I'd found the Rangjung Yeshe 2003 dictionary for the Apple Dictionary at one site (and I don't remember where, sorry) but it plugs right into the app and you get a native dictionary.

Thanks so any info.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

yeshe_khandro wrote:Hi,

I'm new to the site, and have been looking at the PKTC site for the Illuminator for Mac and iPhone. Seems like the Mac version you have to run PC emulation software for the Illuminator? That isn't clear at the PKTC site the way I read it. They don't have a FAQ as far as I can tell (it's possible I didn't see it).

Also I'd found the Rangjung Yeshe 2003 dictionary for the Apple Dictionary at one site (and I don't remember where, sorry) but it plugs right into the app and you get a native dictionary.

Thanks so any info.
The Illuminator Mac Version works without PC emulation software. It's TibetDoc you need that for.
yeshe_khandro

Post by yeshe_khandro »

Thanks! Exactly what I needed to know! :twothumbsup:
yeshe_khandro

Post by yeshe_khandro »

I wanted to follow up as I've purchased the Illuminator dictionary for Mac OS X. I'm on a late 2011 MacBook Pro (Intel chips). I'm on OS 10.7.

The dictionary comes with the dictionary files themselves, a TibetDReader program. The installation isn't difficult. But the TibetDReader in the applications folder, put the dictionaries in another folder. There's no special emulation software to run, as the program just runs. You have to point the program to the dictionaries folder, then set the text formatting based on the fonts you select for the English and Tibetan scripts. For some unknown reason, the software did not display the Unicode Tibetan fonts that I have on my machine (Xenotype Drepung, Woodblock, and Tibetan New) in it's list, nor even the preinstalled Kailasa and Kokonor Tibetan fonts supplied by Apple. I had to go find the Microsoft Himalaya font on the web and install that.

The TibetDReader is used to display the dictionary. It is a PC port and has just the barest minimum to get to be a Mac program. There's a couple little bugs, such as the hyperlinks don't work on a page that's been scrolled, and the "back" through entries that you've looked at seems to have an "off by one error". But the functionality is sufficient to search and find the words you're looking for. Sometimes the program takes a bit to load a long entry. So it's an opportunity to practice patience. :)

The dictionary entries themselves are truly excellent. Verbs have all the tenses, the parts of speech are clearly indicated. Words that can be used in different ways (verb, noun, etc) are properly displayed so you can see their usage. Entries often have descriptions of their colloquial usage where appropriate, or the specialized meanings that crop up in practice usage, or for meditation (eg specific Dzogchen and Mahamudra meanings), or how the word is used in the philosophical texts. The description of the meaning really says what it means, and not just a list of possible English translations. Knowing the real sense of the word let's you decide how to properly phrase something in English.

There's a decent amount of front matter with a long list of references, works cited, abbreviations clearly identified, and descriptions of Tibetan grammar and verb theory. This is another really excellent part of the dictionary. It describes the Tibetan parts of speech and how the connectors/assistives (called particles in other books) really work without burdening the language into being Sanskrit or shoehorning it into a English model. I haven't ordered Lama Tony Duff's books on Tibetan grammar but the info here seems to be a foretaste of those. I can see those being very useful to anyone wishing to learn Tibetan and I'll get them once I finish paying off my US income taxes.

I would recommend the Illuminator dictionary to anyone working in the Tibetan language and am glad I have it.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Two of his Tibetan-Tibetan dictionaries are now in the IOS format: http://pktc.org/pktc/iossoftware.htm#TDC

Also Padma Karpo's Shantideva commentary, in e-book PDF is out - just the first four chapters though.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

The "Decoding Golden Mirror" looks awesome.
Punya

Post by Punya »

It's good news that the Tony Duff dictionary http://www.pktc.org/pktc/tibddiction.htm has become more affordable recently. You can now buy a one off version or a one off update for Windows or Mac. Alternatively, you can pay a yearly subscription for an online version.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche

Return to “Language”