Question about how to translate sutras

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Nosta

Question about how to translate sutras

Post by Nosta »

I am almost finishing my translation to portuguese (from the english version) of the Pratyutpanna Sutra. Now I am reviewing it but I am not sure what to do about certain words.

For example: " At one time the Bhagavān was in the Karaṇḍa Bamboo Garden." Should I replace the "Bhagavan" word for its meaning ("World Honored One") or let it there? I think that replacing the word would avoid the use of a Buddhism Glossary, specially to the people not used to buddhism terms.

The same question goes for other words, like "asura" (demigods for all the purposes) and the like. Even so, some words one should avoid translation I think, like "Bodhisattva", since the whole word itself is filled with a deep meaning.

Whats your opinion on these questions?

Thank you a lot.
Huseng
Former staff member

Re: Question about how to translate sutras

Post by Huseng »

Keep the Buddhist Indic terms as much as possible because there are multiple versions of the same lexical items and hence people are more confused.

Asura, titan, goblin, demon, etc... I mean just keep the Indic term. In time readers will figure it out or, failing that, look it up in an instant online.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Keep the original words that do not easily translate, and offer a glossary or footnotes.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Thank you both.

I think I will do as you said.

A glossary in the end is a good idea.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Keep the originals and offer detailed footnotes. That's what I do for Greek translations. Sometimes it is even better to leave the English transliteration, like the term Bhagavan, (I imagine you are translating from English?) and give a transliteration into Portugese in the footnotes. That way if somebody wishes to look for terms/texts in English (I imagine many Portugese are fluent in English too) it will make it easier for them to find them on the internet.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

As others have said, footnotes. But please put footnotes longer than a sentence in the back of the book. I've struggled through translations with most of the page taken up by footnotes.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Greg and Konchog, thanks for your useful tips.

Many portuguese - specially young adults - dominate the english language.

Instead of long footnotes I think I will choose instead some quick translations between [ ], so people can catch the meaning of the word and keep reading and understanding the text. For example, in a sentence where it reads "... well as gods, dragons, asuras, yakṣas, garuḍas, kiṁnaras, and mahoragas." I would add this: "...well as gods, dragons, asuras, yakṣas, garuḍas, kiṁnaras, and mahoragas [celestial and/or demonic beeings]." Then, if someone wishes to get a deep knowledge on such beings, he or she can go to the internet and seek specific explanations.

My only doubt know is: should I translate bhiksus or upasakas, since their meaning is just about the same as monks and laymen?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Nosta wrote:Greg and Konchog, thanks for your useful tips.

Many portuguese - specially young adults - dominate the english language.

Instead of long footnotes I think I will choose instead some quick translations between [ ], so people can catch the meaning of the word and keep reading and understanding the text. For example, in a sentence where it reads "... well as gods, dragons, asuras, yakṣas, garuḍas, kiṁnaras, and mahoragas." I would add this: "...well as gods, dragons, asuras, yakṣas, garuḍas, kiṁnaras, and mahoragas [celestial and/or demonic beeings]." Then, if someone wishes to get a deep knowledge on such beings, he or she can go to the internet and seek specific explanations.

My only doubt know is: should I translate bhiksus or upasakas, since their meaning is just about the same as monks and laymen?
Again, I would use footnotes the first time for the term and then leave it untranslated.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Language”