YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Great Sutta on How to Give a Gift - Dhamma Wheel

Great Sutta on How to Give a Gift

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
jackson

Great Sutta on How to Give a Gift

Postby jackson » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:46 pm

"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah

daverupa

Re: Great Sutta on How to Give a Gift

Postby daverupa » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:58 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:39 pm

An interesting discourse in that it lists the different types of giving as giving fruits in successive higher celestial realms, with progressively longer life-spans.

In the CSCD it is called the "" but unfortunately the elisions miss out the names of the deva realms so one would have to guess what Ajahn Thanissaro is translating Yāma devas as the "Devas of the Hours." The logical order is: Cātumahārājika, Tāvatiṃsa, Yāma, Tusita, Nimmānarati, Paranimmitavasavatī, and Pārisajja Brahma (Brahma's Retinue).

I also wonder why he translates this section: "api ca kho ‘Ahaṃ pacāmi, ime na pacanti, nārahāmi pacanto apacantānaṃ dānaṃ adātu’nti dānaṃ deti" as ...

... he gives a gift with the thought, 'I am well-off. These are not well-off. It would not be right for me, being well-off, not to give a gift to those who are not well-off'... on the break-up of the body, after death, he reappears in the company of the Contented Devas.

Mettalanka.net gives the translation "I cook, these do not cook ... "
• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:24 pm

Slightly off-topic, but since *that* time of year is coming I thought I might remind you of the Christmas gift-giving suggestions I posted here a year ago: .

:namaste:
Kim

chownah

Postby chownah » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:42 am

Bhikkhu Pesala,
Can you provide a link to an English translation of this sutta which you feel is more appropriate?
chownah

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”