short simhamukha dokpa

heart

short simhamukha dokpa

Post by heart »

I got, many years ago, "lung" for a very short simhamukha practice with dokpa. It is probably from the Dudjom tradition but I am not sure. I have lost my copy, anybody can help me?

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
conebeckham

Re: short simhamukha dokpa

Post by conebeckham »

I am wondering if it's the one Karma Kagyupas do near the end of Mahakala practice--if it is, I can get you a copy. Don't think that's from Dudjom Tersar, though.....but I'd bet the short "dokpa" is pretty similar across lineages.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

You mean this one:
Prayer To Sengdongma
The Lion-Faced Dakini

Glorious adamantine Goddess,
Wrathful female with lion’s face,
Whose fire of Gnosis emanates light-rays,
Lion-faced Goddess – to You I bow.
Mantra:
AH KHA SAMA-RANZA SHANDA-RASA MARAYA PHET

Lion-faced Dakini!
Because of the force and power of the recitation of Your Mantra,
Let enemies who torment us teachers, pupils and attendants,
hindering spirits who harm us, obstructive conditions, and in short,
every enduring inauspiciousness, be turned back!
Host of blazing wrathful females!
Smash into dust-motes the body and speech
Of all the nature of hindering foes,
And release their consciousness in Dharma-Dhatu!
Through recitation of Your mantra,
Let me quell all injury,
Achieve my aims just as I wish,
And spread the Doctrine in teaching and practice!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

I have a Dudjom one, I can get it for you if you want it.
heart

Post by heart »

gregkavarnos wrote:You mean this one:
Prayer To Sengdongma
The Lion-Faced Dakini

Glorious adamantine Goddess,
Wrathful female with lion’s face,
Whose fire of Gnosis emanates light-rays,
Lion-faced Goddess – to You I bow.
Mantra:
AH KHA SAMA-RANZA SHANDA-RASA MARAYA PHET

Lion-faced Dakini!
Because of the force and power of the recitation of Your Mantra,
Let enemies who torment us teachers, pupils and attendants,
hindering spirits who harm us, obstructive conditions, and in short,
every enduring inauspiciousness, be turned back!
Host of blazing wrathful females!
Smash into dust-motes the body and speech
Of all the nature of hindering foes,
And release their consciousness in Dharma-Dhatu!
Through recitation of Your mantra,
Let me quell all injury,
Achieve my aims just as I wish,
And spread the Doctrine in teaching and practice!
It certainly look like it. Thank you Greg!

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
heart

Post by heart »

Yudron wrote:I have a Dudjom one, I can get it for you if you want it.
Sent you a PM Yudron.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Magnus, let me know if you want the Tibetan and/or phonetics for the one Greg posted.......

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
LOTUSBORN

Post by LOTUSBORN »

I see ongoing thread regarding Simhamukha, so I will post my question here, if that's ok. Can someone please explain reasons to be reciting her mantra backwards. Is this used as a last resort, or can one use this everyday day for protection. Is there a negative karma that is generated by one who is reciting it?
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

LOTUSBORN wrote:I see ongoing thread regarding Simhamukha, so I will post my question here, if that's ok. Can someone please explain reasons to be reciting her mantra backwards. Is this used as a last resort, or can one use this everyday day for protection. Is there a negative karma that is generated by one who is reciting it?
Since the Simhamukha retreat is an open retreat, and CHNNR let all who listened know about that today, and I noticed
you are asking a question about the white AH and tigle facing outside while practicing in the other thread you posted in, I take it you maybe listening to the webcasts, if this is so, you probably also received the lung for this mantra today, perhaps for the first time, although I'm not "assuming" that...so it's always best to really ask your teacher, however, as you may have heard today, the only reason to do this and to do this only a few times if you need to, is because it sends back the negative energy of the provocation. Or to quote Rinpoche: "if you don't send back then you must be in these negativties". When you send it back you are not "you", remember you are Simhamukha, how can Simhamukha have negative karma generated (this is me talking now, not specifically what Rinpoche said)....my advice is to be careful that you are not just in ordinary mind when you utilize this mantra this way.

Hope this advice helped, it is advice, I am not "teaching" you anything, just advising according to my experience.

:namaste:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

LOTUSBORN wrote:I see ongoing thread regarding Simhamukha, so I will post my question here, if that's ok. Can someone please explain reasons to be reciting her mantra backwards. Is this used as a last resort, or can one use this everyday day for protection. Is there a negative karma that is generated by one who is reciting it?
I would recommend just doing the mantra in the "forward" direction for now, it is more than capable of affording protection this way and there is less chance of (unintentionally) causing harm.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
heart

Post by heart »

Thank you everyone for your help, Yudron sent me the text that I got "lung" for and it was from the Dudjom Tersar.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Cool, Magnus. Greg's post contains the one common amongst Karma Kagyupas. I'd still like to know where it's extracted from...my guess is Chogling Tersar, but I could be wrong. For that matter, there's a short Yamantaka Dokpa in daily use, related to the Yamantaka Tsedak Nagpo--I wonder if that is also from Chogling Tersar?

As an FYI, I think that some traditions feel this SengeDongChen is a very restricted practice....while obviously others are less restrictive.

Dronma

Post by Dronma »

T. Chokyi wrote:
Since the Simhamukha retreat is an open retreat, and CHNNR let all who listened know about that today, and I noticed
you are asking a question about the white AH and tigle facing outside while practicing in the other thread you posted in, I take it you maybe listening to the webcasts, if this is so, you probably also received the lung for this mantra today, perhaps for the first time, although I'm not "assuming" that...so it's always best to really ask your teacher, however, as you may have heard today, the only reason to do this and to do this only a few times if you need to, is because it sends back the negative energy of the provocation. Or to quote Rinpoche: "if you don't send back then you must be in these negativties". When you send it back you are not "you", remember you are Simhamukha, how can Simhamukha have negative karma generated (this is me talking now, not specifically what Rinpoche said)....my advice is to be careful that you are not just in ordinary mind when you utilize this mantra this way.

Hope this advice helped, it is advice, I am not "teaching" you anything, just advising according to my experience.

:namaste:

My understanding is similar with T. Chokyi's.
If you follow ChNN Rinpoche teachings, then he explains everything clearly and in details.

PS. We never recite mantras for accumulating negative karma..... ;)
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

conebeckham wrote:Cool, Magnus. Greg's post contains the one common amongst Karma Kagyupas. I'd still like to know where it's extracted from...my guess is Chogling Tersar, but I could be wrong. For that matter, there's a short Yamantaka Dokpa in daily use, related to the Yamantaka Tsedak Nagpo--I wonder if that is also from Chogling Tersar?

As an FYI, I think that some traditions feel this SengeDongChen is a very restricted practice....while obviously others are less restrictive.
The version I posted is freely and publicly available here. There is other (more) stuff here my lamas would have a fit over if they saw it publicly available.

heart

Post by heart »

conebeckham wrote:Cool, Magnus. Greg's post contains the one common amongst Karma Kagyupas. I'd still like to know where it's extracted from...my guess is Chogling Tersar, but I could be wrong. For that matter, there's a short Yamantaka Dokpa in daily use, related to the Yamantaka Tsedak Nagpo--I wonder if that is also from Chogling Tersar?

I really don't know if they are from Chokling Tersar Cone, CNR don't put much emphasis on this kind of things. I on other hand love this stuff and I get it mainly from ChNNR these days. :smile:

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

pema tsultrim

Post by pema tsultrim »

My understanding is that one would recite one mala of the mantra forwards, holding the mala in the RIGHT hand and pushing the beads away from you, rather than pulling the beads toward you (also as a symbol of reversing the oncoming harm). Then one would recite a single, backwards, mantra at the end. I was told this by a translator friend of mine, and I also read this from Lama Zopa Rinpoche, the Gelugpa lama (for them Sengdong is an enlightened protector, I believe, but is sometimes given as a powerful practice in itself).

As a side point of interest, I translated a short Sengdong daily practice from the terma of Domang Terchen Dorje Dechen Lingpa (the previous incarnation of Ven. Yangthang Tulku Rinpoche). If anyone here has received the empowerment for the practice (you would have received it if you attended the final day of the Rinchen Terdzod at ODD a couple years back, that is, the day he bestowed the RT poti wang, OR if you attended the Domang Tercho Wangchen after the Kama Wangs this year), and if you would like to have a copy of the translation, you may PM me. I've just been holding on to it for a couple of years now, but want to share it with vajra bros and sisses who could benefit from the text. To be clear, this particular practice was given as part of the Outer, Inner and Secret Vimalamitra aspects from Domang DDL's terma (I believe it is the secret aspect). Also note that in this version, the Ah Ka Sa Ma mantra, which is usually the mantra of approach, is given as the activity mantra. One of my lamas said that in this case, unless one has already gained a significant level of attainment though the mantras of approach and accomplishment, one should only recite the activity mantra 7 times. I would seek further instructions from your own lama before you start practicing this text. I can say, though, from my limited experience, that it seems to be very swift and very effective.

Return to “Nyingma”