Hell Beings

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Motova

Hell Beings

Post by Motova »

What exactly are the beings who supposedly torture those unfortunate beings who are born into the realms of Hell? Is that a "role" anyone can be born into? Do they enjoy torturing people? If a hell being enjoys killing endless beings in Hell, then will they be reborn to suffer the same torture they inflicted?

:namaste:

/Dylan
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
randomseb

Re: Hell Beings

Post by randomseb »

Are they perhaps, emanations of your own mind, a sort of personification of the neuroses you build up and carry along with you where ever you go like a huge mountain on your back?
Disclaimer: If I have posted about something, then I obviously have no idea what I am talking about!
Motova

Post by Motova »

randomseb wrote:Are they perhaps, emanations of your own mind, a sort of personification of the neuroses you build up and carry along with you where ever you go like a huge mountain on your back?
Perhaps, but isn't it said that one is tortured amongst others? So wouldn't that suggest that a Hell being would torture those around you as well?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Where exactly is that said?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Motova

Post by Motova »

gregkavarnos wrote:Where exactly is that said?
I couldn't tell you... I remember I read somewhere that beings are boiled together in a pot of oil. Are you implying that each hell being has a personalized entourage of torturers?

/Dylan
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

Hell, like all of samsara, is a product of your mind's delusion. Your hell is yours alone.

Om mani padme hum
Keith
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Mythology is to truth what notation and theory is to music, a way of describing truth. The notes themselves h ave no meaning though outside the context of describing music. They definitely aren't music itself.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
dude

Post by dude »

Motova wrote:What exactly are the beings who supposedly torture those unfortunate beings who are born into the realms of Hell? Is that a "role" anyone can be born into? Do they enjoy torturing people? If a hell being enjoys killing endless beings in Hell, then will they be reborn to suffer the same torture they inflicted?

/Dylan

Of course
randomseb

Post by randomseb »

Motova wrote:
randomseb wrote:Are they perhaps, emanations of your own mind, a sort of personification of the neuroses you build up and carry along with you where ever you go like a huge mountain on your back?
Perhaps, but isn't it said that one is tortured amongst others? So wouldn't that suggest that a Hell being would torture those around you as well?
The Tibetan book of the dead interpretations I've seen suggest emenations of your own mind, not sure why there'd be something as specific and westernized as everyone burning together in some pot, though!
Disclaimer: If I have posted about something, then I obviously have no idea what I am talking about!
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

They're creations of your own mind. There is traditional reasoning for it, but I forgot.

Hopefully, someone else remembers.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Motova

Post by Motova »

dude wrote:
Motova wrote:What exactly are the beings who supposedly torture those unfortunate beings who are born into the realms of Hell? Is that a "role" anyone can be born into? Do they enjoy torturing people? If a hell being enjoys killing endless beings in Hell, then will they be reborn to suffer the same torture they inflicted?

/Dylan

Of course
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

They're ectoplasmic demons, made from semen ejaculated by hanged men. (Wait, no, that's incubi.)

The worst fate in hell is reserved for masochists, who will cry "Beat me! Beat me!" And the demons will answer, "No!"
(no longer participating on this board)
treefairy

Post by treefairy »

well, if i remember correctly, one is faced with their wrongs upon hitting the consciousness field in chikai, where you become aware of all. Then based on that, if you did something terribly wrong, you would probably condemn yourself to something terrible.......
muni

Post by muni »

Motova wrote:
So wouldn't that suggest that a Hell being would torture those around you as well?
Grasping/clinging tortures grasping/clinging.

dude

Post by dude »

Are you serious?

Here's just one quick example

""Then the hell-wardens torture [the evil-doer] with what's called a five-fold imprisonment. They drive a red-hot iron stake through one hand, they drive a red-hot iron stake through the other hand, they drive a red-hot iron stake through one foot, they drive a red-hot iron stake through the other foot, they drive a red-hot iron stake through the middle of his chest. There he feels painful, racking, piercing feelings, yet he does not die as long as his evil kamma is not exhausted."
Devaduta Sutra
dude

Post by dude »

/Dylan

"What exactly are the beings who supposedly torture those unfortunate beings who are born into the realms of Hell? "
They're living beings. Living beings appear in the world in accordance with their karma. Whether, they're rich, poor, tall, short, smart, stupid, have power over others, others have power over them; all that is karma. What form we are born with also karma; we could be born as humans, animals, insects....

"Is that a "role" anyone can be born into?"
Of course, if they make the cause; it's all karma.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

dude wrote:Are you serious?

""Then the hell-wardens torture [the evil-doer] with what's called a five-fold imprisonment. They drive a red-hot iron stake through one hand, they drive a red-hot iron stake through the other hand, they drive a red-hot iron stake through one foot, they drive a red-hot iron stake through the other foot, they drive a red-hot iron stake through the middle of his chest. There he feels painful, racking, piercing feelings, yet he does not die as long as his evil kamma is not exhausted."
Devaduta Sutra
Not exactly the answer I was looking for but really, I currently fail to see why I asked the question anyway... :shrug: I think I may have misread Motovas statement.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
dude

Post by dude »

gregkavarnos wrote:
dude wrote:Are you serious?

Devaduta Sutra
Not exactly the answer I was looking for but really, I currently fail to say why I asked the question anyway... :shrug: I think I may have misread Motovas statement.

Oh, okay, in that case I'm sure I didn't understand the question either. But thanks for asking, it got me thinking about how to answer the opening question better.
dude

Post by dude »

Motova wrote:
I couldn't tell you... I remember I read somewhere that beings are boiled together in a pot of oil. Are you implying that each hell being has a personalized entourage of torturers?

/Dylan

Oh yeah. There's karma even in hell. Some people made the cause to be tortured, others made the cause to be torturers. There's even a King of Hell. He's in hell with everybody else, but he can do what he wants and tell everybody else what to do. Same as things are in this world. Which is to say : the conditions of Hell exist in the here and now, as do all the other realms.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Did not read this all - too scary. But the Hell Wardens are projections from the minds of those being tortured. Sort of a subconscious knowledge of wrongs done and suffering due.

http://www.khandro.net/doctrine_hells.htm
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”