Around the World in 80 Faiths: India

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Luke

Around the World in 80 Faiths: India

Post by Luke »

Here is an interesting series called "Around the World in 80 Faiths" which is hosted by an Anglican priest who is well-meaning and open-minded, but he pretty much messes up all his explanations of eastern religions.

For example, the first religion featured is Tibetan Buddhism. The narrator says, "The goal of Tibetan Buddhism is union with god,"--this is totally wrong. Also, the subtitles when a Tibetan lama is speaking include phrases like "doing god's will" which I doubt the lama really said in Tibetan. You will probably find many other obvious mistakes.

Despite these major flaws in the explanations, I think the program is interesting simply as a travel video. The host of the show is kind-hearted, even though he's not too bright.

phpBB [video]

His episode about Japan is probably very interesting, but unfortunately it's not on YouTube.
Last edited by Luke on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke

Re: Around the World in 80 Faiths: India

Post by Luke »

I also wanted to mention that Sikhism is featured in the video at about 41:00.

And Jainism is featured at 48:00.
Luke

Post by Luke »

The Nath firewalkers are featured at about 32:00.
DharmaChela

Post by DharmaChela »

For some reason, he thinks Hinduism grew out of Tibetan Buddhism. Admittedly, Hinduism saw major reform because of Buddhism, but the entire tradition certainly wasn't born as a response to Tibetan Buddhism.
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

Luke wrote:Here is an interesting series called "Around the World in 80 Faiths" which is hosted by an Anglican priest who is well-meaning and open-minded, but he pretty much messes up all his explanations of eastern religions.

Despite these major flaws in the explanations, I think the program is interesting simply as a travel video. The host of the show is kind-hearted, even though he's not too bright.
I watched the whole series recently and your analysis is pretty accurate. It was interesting but his exploration of other faiths was a quite shallow. It could have been much better.

Return to “Media”