venting

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

venting

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

From a Buddhist perspective is "venting" ever justified, is it ever actually cathartic or healthy, or is it always negative?

When others vent, how should we react, what is the best way for instance to react to someone venting about their job, where is the line between being supportive/understanding of someone's problems, and supporting their obsessive thinking?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Huseng
Former staff member

Re: venting

Post by Huseng »

Speaking in anger, even if what you say is true, is unwholesome karma, the result of which is always suffering. I'm guilty of this sin a lot.

If something needs to be addressed and discussed, then ideally it should be discussed without any anger or ill-will present in the mind. If one's problems with others or a situation are not addressed, then naturally it can build up and lead to further issues.

Open communication can resolve a lot of problems before they become predicaments.

Listening to someone's problems can be therapeutic for them, though affirming their neurotic tendencies will only add fuel to the fire.

I think complaining about work is inevitable, especially when you work in a closed environment with people who fail to respect the needs of others (like relative quiet). In my experience the complaining only makes me feel worse unless it is followed up by decisive action aimed at resolving the problem(s).
gordtheseeker

Post by gordtheseeker »

Huseng wrote:Listening to someone's problems can be therapeutic for them, though affirming their neurotic tendencies will only add fuel to the fire.
Isn't that the truth!
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

I recall Bardor Tulku Rinpoche once telling a friend of mind that it is better to calm the mind,
rather than to get everything all stirred up.

Aside from that great advice,
it seems to me
Sometimes it seems you just have to let out a lot of "emotional pressure"
so make sure you are mindful and not just exploding, and then go back
and look at all the things that were part of what you had to vent about
and see that much of what angers us
is that things are going contrary to some
fixed idea we have about ourselves.
Then, you can see what you can let go of.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
randomseb

Post by randomseb »

While outwardly pouring out your neuroses may not be an adequate response, it was explained to me recently that suppressing these negative feelings is also not an adequate response, but rather one should accept them, examine them for their originating conditions, let them flow through and do their thing, and they will depart. Whereas suppressing them from some ill conceived idea that one should avoid these sorts of things only deepens the neurosis by having them take root and nest in what our shrinks would call the subconscious, and failing to discover and address their causes, yes?

Apparently "negative things" can be your greatest aid along the road to awakening

:techproblem: :applause:
Disclaimer: If I have posted about something, then I obviously have no idea what I am talking about!
dude

Post by dude »

randomseb wrote:While outwardly pouring out your neuroses may not be an adequate response, it was explained to me recently that suppressing these negative feelings is also not an adequate response, but rather one should accept them, examine them for their originating conditions, let them flow through and do their thing, and they will depart. Whereas suppressing them from some ill conceived idea that one should avoid these sorts of things only deepens the neurosis by having them take root and nest in what our shrinks would call the subconscious, and failing to discover and address their causes, yes?

Apparently "negative things" can be your greatest aid along the road to awakening

:techproblem: :applause:

I very much concur.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Some great answers here, but I am really less concerned ( well maybe it would be more accurate to say it's less complicated) for myself and venting than I am when I am around someone else doing it, it's hard to know what the right track to take is.

It seems like there is such a fine line between being a shoulder to cry on, and just allowing someone else to get carried away on the roller coaster of "why, why, why".

-Khunu Lama
greentara

Post by greentara »

Dear ones.. does someone need to hear this right now?

Remember not to take anything too personally.

Remember that when someone reacts it is usually because they are triggered by something personal in them and not at all about you. In this way you will not engage in aggression that is not useful. You do not not have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Sometimes people have a lot of battles going inside them, and though it seems unfair that they take it out on others - they are the only ones who need to deal with things and be responsible for their thoughts, choices and actions. It has nothing to do with you. You can try and choose to not react. Simply disengage and walk away.

Do not let any one drain away your positive energy and your power. You can help people... but you cannot be a door mat to other people's whims and moods all the time.

Unconditional loving means sometimes to back away a few paces and let the other person realize and learn their own lessons.

Love, be there, be compassionate, be kind, but always know and understand when it is quite all right to say, 'Enough is enough.'

Sometimes all you can do is Love - and let it be.

anonymous
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Huseng wrote:Speaking in anger, even if what you say is true, is unwholesome karma, the result of which is always suffering. I'm guilty of this sin a lot.

If something needs to be addressed and discussed, then ideally it should be discussed without any anger or ill-will present in the mind. If one's problems with others or a situation are not addressed, then naturally it can build up and lead to further issues.

Open communication can resolve a lot of problems before they become predicaments.

Listening to someone's problems can be therapeutic for them, though affirming their neurotic tendencies will only add fuel to the fire.

I think complaining about work is inevitable, especially when you work in a closed environment with people who fail to respect the needs of others (like relative quiet). In my experience the complaining only makes me feel worse unless it is followed up by decisive action aimed at resolving the problem(s).
:good:
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Some great answers here, but I am really less concerned ( well maybe it would be more accurate to say it's less complicated) for myself and venting than I am when I am around someone else doing it, it's hard to know what the right track to take is. It seems like there is such a fine line between being a shoulder to cry on, and just allowing someone else to get carried away on the roller coaster of "why, why, why".
Well, you can either listen to them or tell them to shut up.
Listening is a good thing to do.
What experience has told me is that most people who vent...in whatever style,
really do not want your opinion anyway, they just want to complain about things.
So, the question is, after the venting is over, then what?
What experience has told me is that most people who vent
will not take your advice or helpful suggestions.
They only want to be reassured that they are in the right,
that their feelings are important, and that what they think and do matters.
So, here is my suggestion.
The venting has to be a little more challenging.
I know a young woman who always brings the conversation around
to something she can complain about.
ALWAYS!
So, I told her, "you have a lot of good opinions! I think what you have to say is important.
Why don't you start a blog? That way, you'd have a constructive way to express yourself,
and you might make a real difference!"

So now, whenever she vents, I just ask her how her blog is coming along
and she usually changes the subject to something less "ventful".
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Heh, nice. I think i'm gonna try that one out.

-Khunu Lama
gordtheseeker

Post by gordtheseeker »

I wonder if telling them some truth, even if you knew it would offend them, would be considered a form of compassion? I know of some people who just can't get over certain issues, and are always venting about it. Sometimes I think they just need some cold hard truth to get woken up. Is it doing someone a disservice to let them wallow in their misery? As Huseng said " affirming their neurotic tendencies will only add fuel to the fire.
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

Hit a bag, join a mixed martial arts gym. Many things out there to manage stress.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I think he problem with "venting" (something I suffer from) is that it sets up (bad) habits based on reacting with anger, rather than forming (good) habits based on acting to deal with the cause of the issue in an intelligent/wise manner.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
dude

Post by dude »

gordtheseeker wrote:I wonder if telling them some truth, even if you knew it would offend them, would be considered a form of compassion? I know of some people who just can't get over certain issues, and are always venting about it. Sometimes I think they just need some cold hard truth to get woken up. Is it doing someone a disservice to let them wallow in their misery? As Huseng said " affirming their neurotic tendencies will only add fuel to the fire.
Yes indeed.
Compassionate listening as a first step is important. One who is suffering may need to get it off their chest and will be encouraged just to know someone understands.
As the saying goes, however, good medicine tastes bitter, and a good teacher, a good parent, or a good friend administers discipline at times.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”