Crisis at KPC in Maryland

DGA
Former staff member

Re: Crisis at KPC in Maryland

Post by DGA »

anikunzangdrolma wrote: 5. The building that was purchased, as per HHPR instructions, was at that time a private residence. When KPC purchased it in 1985, an application was made for a Use and Occupancy permit, but there was a lapse with follow-up on some requirements. At a recent meeting with the County it was determined that the building does not comply with current standards. KPC is committed to complying with all regulations, and has already been working with an architect to determine the most cost efficient ways to upgrade the building.
6. We do not have a final figure for the entire upgrade, but the initial professional estimate exceeds $1,000,000.
The extensive renovations will have to include:
• fire separation (i understand that to mean internal firewalls),
• electrical and plumbing work,
• storm water management throughout the grounds,
• installation of extensive sprinkler systems throughout the building
• fire truck access.
This is very helpful indeed. Thank you!
Namgyal

Post by Namgyal »

Adamantine wrote: Penor Rinpoche was not one of my own Gurus...He also recognized Steven Seagal. My pure vision would struggle with that.
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

As any Buddhist might suspect, if they are honest with themselves,
"Seagal Rinpoche" is quite a different person, that his public persona.

Hollywood manufactures 'personalities.'

I do not question HHPR's wisdom mind, even if he may have
questioned his own choices after the fact. Just because someone
is a tulku, it doesn't follow that they must be recognized or enthroned.
Real tulkus benefit beings no matter what the do.

There are some sanghas full of unrecognized tulkus.
mgrissom

Post by mgrissom »

Jikan wrote:
anikunzangdrolma wrote: 5. The building that was purchased, as per HHPR instructions, was at that time a private residence. When KPC purchased it in 1985, an application was made for a Use and Occupancy permit, but there was a lapse with follow-up on some requirements. At a recent meeting with the County it was determined that the building does not comply with current standards. KPC is committed to complying with all regulations, and has already been working with an architect to determine the most cost efficient ways to upgrade the building.
6. We do not have a final figure for the entire upgrade, but the initial professional estimate exceeds $1,000,000.
The extensive renovations will have to include:
• fire separation (i understand that to mean internal firewalls),
• electrical and plumbing work,
• storm water management throughout the grounds,
• installation of extensive sprinkler systems throughout the building
• fire truck access.
This is very helpful indeed. Thank you!
I've been in the process of repainting the main shrine room (started before the current crisis). The ceilings are low, only 7' high, low enough I don't even need a ladder. But the sprinkler systems I've seen elsewhere stick down several inches, which would skim our taller guests. I'm no architect and I missed the meeting about this but I think there's a minimum ceiling height of 72", which we're at now, but if they count the sprinkler heads, then we'd have to raise the shrine room ceiling. It's messing up my painting project because at the very least they're going to be putting holes in what I'm trying to paint. I've already postponed the project over a year because the sprinkler system's been in the works for years, pending money.

We've replaced the roof, have replaced the windows, have done a lot of major work. I thought we would be able to do this in small pieces, one project at a time, but we're being forced to do it all at once before we can reopen our classes.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

I don't understand this fascination with Tulkus, I really don't.
"Don’t worry.

You’re all tulkus. incarnations of beings who have taken the bodhisattva vow to raise all sentient beings to the level of complete enlightenment.

Just because you don’t have an important title attached to your name doesn’t mean that you haven’t appeared in this life to fulfill your bodhisattva vow.

Historically, the term “Rinpoche” referred to a person who is born with a “wealth” or “precious inheritance” of knowledge, whereas nowadays, it often refers to a person born into a wealthy family.

Be grateful that you don’t have a title and rest assured that you entered this life and have the opportunity to continue in the stream of Buddhist teachings as a result of the vows and practices you engaged in during previous lives."

-Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

I know where you got that quote I dare you to post the photo. Hehe.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Konchog1, Excellent quote.

:namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

kirtu wrote:An example would be HH Dilgo Khytense who was recognized as a tulku as a young boy (perhaps at birth, I don't remember) and was not considered a high tulku but attained accomplishment through his own efforts, his own diligent practice.
He was recognised as a being of special potential at birth by Mipham Rinpoche, but was never recognised as a particular incarnation until he was ready to enact his activity. He was called Saga Tulku as he was born in the Saga Dawa month, and according to Sogyal Rinpoche the other tulkus around Jamyang Khyentse Chokyi Lodro would often comment "Why is JKCL giving so much attention to Saga Tulku, what is so special about him?"

I heard that in the mid 80s there was a general assembly in Bhutan under HHDKR to discuss whether to continue the tradition of recognising tulkus. I don't know if this was true or not, but I never questioned it.

Shechen has chronicled all of HHDKR's proclamations, and Changling Rinpoche told me; "Actually HHDKR didn't recognise that many tulkus".

In regards to the negativity that is generated towards various Dharma holders, Changling Rinpoche also said to a few of us that after HHDKR passed away his sangyum, Khandro Lhamo's health suddenly improved markedly. He said it was only then that they realised she had been doing practices to absorb any negativity generated towards HHDKR Dharma activities. I have noticed she takes an equal place on Changling Rinpoche's shrine. I have also heard of other practitioners in various mandalas who proxy to absorb the negativity generated towards the main Dharma throne holder. This is usually a hidden activity, and what coincides is there is no manifestation outwardly to counter that negative energy, it is all dealt with quietly with practice.

As one of my VB says; "Who would want to be a recognised tulku? Better to remain a hidden practitioner through the blessings of one's guru". At the same time, I do have a fascination with the tulkus I know, as I feel all of them exemplify the Dharma. But being a tulku in the west has proved to be difficult. And I see most people on this board understand that in the vajrayana, regardless of title, you have to go through the various practices, accumulations, retreats, and receive some of the signs of accomplishments before you enact the role of vajra master.

I heard that HHDKR advised one tulku to not give empowerments until they had the necessary realisation.

I think a lot of westerners jump the gun, and with the best of intention start teaching vajrayana and dzogchen before they actually should. For example, I was assisting a tulku outside my own tradition by choponing an empowerment he was giving. As we were disassembling the mandala he said to me; "You should be giving this empowerment to many people". Fortunately I have the self knowledge and teachings to know I'm unripe to do this (completely). What I hear in the hidden subtext of this statement is; "For the benefit of sbs, and Dharma in the West, pls get your shit together and stop loafing around and take full responsibility for the Dharma you have inherited, do the practices and get the signs of accomplishment PLEEEAASE." It's a virtual kick up the bum for my laziness. A lot of Tibetan lama's want us Westerners to inherit the lineage fully, but most practitioners here realise they need to do a lot of study and practice to be able to the holders of vajrayana who can transmit it.
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:I know where you got that quote I dare you to post the photo. Hehe.
Alrighty then. :tongue:
Attachments
trungpa_confidence.jpg
trungpa_confidence.jpg (112.91 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Hehe props. Yeti interesting - I thought Tibetans may be jealous of tulku system. Or at least think - look this has been the way things have been done for hundreds of years and post diaspora you Westerners suddenly think you know what's best for dharma. But there may be many stories like yours. You say the opposite - hurry up and get on with it yourselves dang it!
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

I asked His Holiness Penor Rinpoche
"Who recognizes tulkus?"
His answer: "The head of the specifc lineage, or in my case,
as head of the Nyingmapas, I can, in addition to the Palyul,
recognize any Nyingma Tulku."
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

ngodrup wrote:I asked His Holiness Penor Rinpoche
"Who recognizes tulkus?"
His answer: "The head of the specifc lineage, or in my case,
as head of the Nyingmapas, I can, in addition to the Palyul,
recognize any Nyingma Tulku."
I wonder what they did before the Head of the Nyingma Lineage thing was created in the 60's. Probably monastery abbots and high tulkus did it. As you know, Dungsey Thinley Norbu Rinpoche definitely recognized and enthroned tulkus of some ngakpa lamas outside of the monastic systems.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:Hehe props. Yeti interesting - I thought Tibetans may be jealous of tulku system. Or at least think - look this has been the way things have been done for hundreds of years and post diaspora you Westerners suddenly think you know what's best for dharma. But there may be many stories like yours. You say the opposite - hurry up and get on with it yourselves dang it!
Actually, I think there are many practitioners out there who have stories like that. You know, I highly suspect this amongst some of my older sangha, but they never say anything, they just know to keep their heads down and practice. They are all better practitioners than myself. Such practitioners just shut up and get on with it, no fuss, but they are trying very hard to fulfil their guru's potential in themselves.

And I think some of my other teachers would just encourage one to be a hidden yogi/yogini and surprise everyone at the time of death with the signs of accomplishment.

I can't find it now, but there is the background behind Khandro Kunzang Dechen Chodron http://saraswatibhawan.org/lamas/khandr ... chodron-2/ recognition and enthronement, which was deferred until she had completed all the practice requirements to hold that Dharma recognition. I think that is the problem in the west, not doing the practice requirements that comes with a Vajrayana throne holder. Also the enthronement of Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo http://www.drukpa.org/index.php/2012-10 ... -kathmandu, that makes sense. http://tenzinpalmo.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=34.
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:I know where you got that quote I dare you to post the photo. Hehe.
:lol:
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I think we've exhausted this topic. I'm closing it. If anyone would like to comment further on the building and code issues at KPC, please PM me and I'll consider re-opening it.

Tulku-related discussions can be carried on in a separate thread.

Return to “Nyingma”