Masonry: whats the purpose? Whats the buddhist view?

Anything goes (almost).

Re: Masonry: whats the purpose? Whats the buddhist view?

Postby Simon E. » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:02 pm

On reflection I would exclude Dante. :smile:
Simon E.

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:28 pm

Simon E. wrote:
lhug pa wrote:The older writings on Masonry are much better than pretty much any of the newer writings. Some examples of older writings:

Jorge Adoum, The Noble Drew Ali, Dante Alighieri, Johann Valentin-Andreae/Francis Bacon, Elias Ashmole, William Blake, H.P. Blavatsky, Jacob Boehme, J.D. Buck, Robert Burton, Cagliostro, Albert Churchward, Henry W. Coil, Malcolm C. Duncan, Robert Fludd, Dion Fortune, Fulcanelli, Jocelyn Godwin, Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe, Robert Freke Gould, Manly P. Hall, Franz Hartmann, Max Heindel, Arnold Krumm-Heller (Huiracocha), Godfrey Higgins, John Heydon, Hargrave Jennings, Athanasius Kircher, Heinrich(or Henry) Khunrath, C.W. Leadbeater, Eliphas Levi, Schwaller de Lubicz, Mario Roso de Luna, David Murray-Lyon, Edward Bulwer-Lytton, Robert Macoy, Kenneth R. H. Mackenzie, Albert G. Mackey, Michael Maier, Gerald Massey, S.L. MacGregor Mathers, G.R.S. Mead, Mirandola, The Honorable Elijah Muhammad, Isaac Myer, Isabel Cooper-Oakley, H.S. Olcott, Fabre d'Olivet, Paracelsus, Eugenius Philalethes, Albert Pike, [Proclus, Plotinus (see Thomas Taylor)], Ragon, Knorr Von Rosenroth, Ammonius Sacca, Rudolph Steiner, Thomas Vaughan, J.S.M. Ward, William Wynn Westcott, W.L. Wilmshurst, John Yarker, and a few others.

Some of the newer Moorish Science Temple, Nation of Islam, & Nation of Gods and Earths writings on Freemasonry and Masonry are interesting though.

Loonies to the last man jack of them :lol:
You'd need a wardrobe full of white extra long sleeve jackets to dress that lot!
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:29 pm

Simon E. wrote:On reflection I would exclude Dante. :smile:
And, maybe, Steiner.
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby Simon E. » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:49 pm

Maybe...I will admit to having used to some of his biodynamic gardening ideas... :smile:
Simon E.

Postby GrahamR » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:48 am

Simon E. wrote:
Lhug-Pa wrote:
Berzinarchives.com on Islamic - Buddhist Dialogue wrote:Indonesia

The older writings on Masonry are much better than pretty much any of the newer writings. Some examples of older writings:

Jorge Adoum, The Noble Drew Ali, Dante Alighieri, Johann Valentin-Andreae/Francis Bacon, Elias Ashmole, William Blake, H.P. Blavatsky, Jacob Boehme, J.D. Buck, Robert Burton, Cagliostro, Albert Churchward, Henry W. Coil, Malcolm C. Duncan, Robert Fludd, Dion Fortune, Fulcanelli, Jocelyn Godwin, Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe, Robert Freke Gould, Manly P. Hall, Franz Hartmann, Max Heindel, Arnold Krumm-Heller (Huiracocha), Godfrey Higgins, John Heydon, Hargrave Jennings, Athanasius Kircher, Heinrich(or Henry) Khunrath, C.W. Leadbeater, Eliphas Levi, Schwaller de Lubicz, Mario Roso de Luna, David Murray-Lyon, Edward Bulwer-Lytton, Robert Macoy, Kenneth R. H. Mackenzie, Albert G. Mackey, Michael Maier, Gerald Massey, S.L. MacGregor Mathers, G.R.S. Mead, Mirandola, The Honorable Elijah Muhammad, Isaac Myer, Isabel Cooper-Oakley, H.S. Olcott, Fabre d'Olivet, Paracelsus, Eugenius Philalethes, Albert Pike, [Proclus, Plotinus (see Thomas Taylor)], Ragon, Knorr Von Rosenroth, Ammonius Sacca, Rudolph Steiner, Thomas Vaughan, J.S.M. Ward, William Wynn Westcott, W.L. Wilmshurst, John Yarker, and a few others.

Some of the newer Moorish Science Temple, Nation of Islam, & Nation of Gods and Earths writings on Freemasonry and Masonry are interesting though.

Loonies to the last man jack of them :lol:

I'm afraid I think a lot of the 1800s and early 1900s works are dreadful, only surpassed in lack scholarship and credibility by the likes of Nation of Islam.

With metta

Graham
GrahamR

Postby Simon E. » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:53 pm

As one who is neutral concerning Masonry , I am relieved to hear you say so Graham.

:namaste:
Simon E.

Postby Jikan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:59 pm

Goethe wasn't a nutter either. I'd make a case for Mirandola as a serious philosopher. Apropos of Moorish Science Temple...

http://books.google.com/books?id=6jThK- ... &q&f=false

Peter Lamborn WIlson makes a historical and contextual case for taking them seriously as a spiritual and political movement.
Jikan
Site Admin

Masonry: whats the purpose? Whats the buddhist view?

Postby GrahamR » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:48 pm

Jikan wrote:Goethe wasn't a nutter either. I'd make a case for Mirandola as a serious philosopher. Apropos of Moorish Science Temple...

http://books.google.com/books?id=6jThK- ... &q&f=false

Peter Lamborn WIlson makes a historical and contextual case for taking them seriously as a spiritual and political movement.

I think The Moorish Science Temple was quite well meaning, even if concepts like all African Americans originated from Morocco are a little excentric.

The Nation of Islam is quite a different matter with clear racist overtones. :toilet:

Graham
GrahamR

Previous

Return to Lounge