Kumaradza and "pure" Dzogchen

Sherlock

Kumaradza and "pure" Dzogchen

Post by Sherlock »

On the Nyingma kama thread, Yudron mentioned that the claims that there were masters who practised Dzogchen without any deity are false. This is definitely true for probably all the masters we know anything about, i have heard however that Kumaradza apparently did practise "pure" Dzogchen without deity yoga and that was a reason Longchenpa went to him instead of the Third Karmapa to learn.

Anyway I am just mentioning what I heard I don't mean any conflict.
Stewart

Re: Kumaradza and "pure" Dzogchen

Post by Stewart »

AFAIK Longchenpa definetly received Dzogchen teachings with and from Rangjung Dorje, including RD's Karma Nyingthig Terma, which is sometimes included with the Nyingthig Yabzhi...and Rangjung Dorje was also a student of Rigdzin Kumaradza....there's a teaching by Thrangu Rinpoche somewhere if you can find it.
s.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Sherlock wrote:On the Nyingma kama thread, Yudron mentioned that the claims that there were masters who practised Dzogchen without any deity are false. This is definitely true for probably all the masters we know anything about, i have heard however that Kumaradza apparently did practise "pure" Dzogchen without deity yoga and that was a reason Longchenpa went to him instead of the Third Karmapa to learn.

Adzom Drukpa famously said he just practiced Dzogchen all his life, but he is also famous for having students who underwent great hardship doing many multiple ngondros and repeating the Dzogchen ngondro again and again for decades. So, I don't really know what he actually meant when he said he just practiced Dzogchen.

In my own life, I read the namthars of Mahasiddhas of the past and try to measure my life by their standards. What practices did they do? How did they live? I personally prefer the namthars of the great adepts of the more recent yogis and yoginis, because I feel confident that scribes have not added in embellishments over the centuries. Of course I always come up short, but it inspires me a lot to keep practicing diligently. Ultimately, though, I have to find what is uniquely suited to this body and personality that I carry around with me during this short life.

It is not uncommon among the householder students of mainstream Nyingma lamas to just do trekchod/guru yoga after they finish their first ngondro, and perhaps go to a drupchen or other intensive retreat on a deity practice once a year.
heart

Post by heart »

Sherlock wrote:On the Nyingma kama thread, Yudron mentioned that the claims that there were masters who practised Dzogchen without any deity are false. This is definitely true for probably all the masters we know anything about, i have heard however that Kumaradza apparently did practise "pure" Dzogchen without deity yoga and that was a reason Longchenpa went to him instead of the Third Karmapa to learn.

Who told you that Kumardza did practise "pure" Dzogchen? The reason I ask is that deity practice is found both in the Vima Nyingthig and the Kandro Nyinthig and also in the Longde transmission. But I think you know this, no?

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
muni

Post by muni »

Sherlock wrote:
Samsara-distraction's righteness is contageous. It is keeping mind unable to recognize itself.

Homage to Masters' guidance. :buddha1:
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Lemme just start by saying this is in no way some sort of passive aggressive dig at the OP or anyone else; this is just where I'm at these days. I'm just no longer interested in trying to condition people not to indulge in this idea and pursuit of "pure Dzogchen" practice. If they feel that works for them, then more power to em. I'll just keep doing my own thing, integrating all three inner tantras in the way I've been taught by my root lamas and which works for me, without being compelled to feel I'm "the one who's right" and they're "the ones who are wrong." Hopefully this perspective will eventually bleed into the rest of my opinions in life and I can stop being so concerned with being right in general.

But as I go on, the distinction between the three inner tantras just seems less and less concrete and real (from the perspective of integrating everything into the Dzogchen view). Sure, classifying them according to their unique features, approaches, and emphasis from their own side makes total sense from the point of view of exegesis... But eventually, from the experiential practice standpoint, it's my opinion that if we're diligent and end up hitting the mark in our Dzogchen practice, we'll all be practicing "pure Dzogchen" whether we're only doing guru yoga and the practices or Dzogchen proper or we're doing those and daily generation/completion stage sadhana, etc. too. This is, again, my opinion.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

^^^

Good post IMHO.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

I was just chatting with a scholar who is very fluent in Tibetan about Garab Dorje. Garab Dorje authored two texts in the Tengyur. The first is a Manjushri Namasangiti commentary that is full on Dzogchen without using the word. Apparently it is really interesting.

He also wrote a sadhana called nod jyin gyi gyalpo drup pa'i thab -- which I guess I would translated as the Means of Accomplishment of the Yaksha King. It's in the Tengyur, too.

Vimalamitra apparently also wrote a commentary on the Manjushri Namasangiti-- that is not quite as Dzogchen flavored as the one by Garab Dorje, but in places uses a dzogchen approach replete with standard phrases from the Menagde, but again does not use the word Dzogchen.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have translations of these texts?
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

I don't think there is a single Vajrayana practitioner alive this day who has never done a deity practice, so this is just purely theoretical. I heard the story from a fairly famous published translator, but I don't know which namthar he was referring to. In Nyoshul Khenpo's A Marvelous Garland of Rare Gems, it is written that Kumaradza did actually practise some deity yogas at least when he was younger. Maybe he was referring to a portion corresponding to this excerpt in another namthar:
At that time, the definitive points of the Nyingtik teachings had been diluted by the intellectual faults of various teachers. Kumaradza clearly distinguished himself from those who behaved erroneously by blurring the distinction between these points and the view and meditation of the Mahamudra approach, the Zhije school, the Six Techniques of Union of the Kalachakra cycle, and so forth.
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

Thank you, Pema Rigdzin! :namaste:

Even the notion of "pure Dzogchen" is one more intellectual fabrication of the human mind, which implies and includes the existence of "non pure", hence more "Dzogchenistic dualism".
Even if we are talking about totally Enlightened Buddhas, Mahamudra or Dzogchen, essentially dualism has always the same bitter taste.
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have translations of these texts?
Both have been translated into French by Patrick Carré, and the one by Garab Dorje was also translated by JLA.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

Just as an observation; I don't know if it means anything, but it made an impact on me; I noticed Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche's mala when I first meet him, then a year later, what seemed to be that same bodhiseed mala was much more worn than usual, leading me to reflect he wasn't just doing "pure" dzogchen practice, but a lot of recitations. (just my own observation and reflection... don't know if it has any meaning at all)
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

My impression is, take it or leave it, that a lot of these great lineage holder enlightened beings practice Vajrasattva until the end of their lives. Dilgo Khyentse's namthar mentions his ongoing practice on Mindroling Vajrasattva, and I know other great lamas who continued VS practice to the end, although for some it might be one mala of the short mantra or 21 100 syllable mantras.

Vajrasattva has been with the Dzogchen lineages from the beginning.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

Yudron wrote:My impression is, take it or leave it, that a lot of these great lineage holder enlightened beings practice Vajrasattva until the end of their lives. Dilgo Khyentse's namthar mentions his ongoing practice on Mindroling Vajrasattva, and I know other great lamas who continued VS practice to the end, although for some it might be one mala of the short mantra or 21 100 syllable mantras.

Vajrasattva has been with the Dzogchen lineages from the beginning.
HH Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche did a lot of daily practices and annual retreats. I was told he'd do his dzogchen practices before dawn and around dawn. If you were fortunate enough to sit with him during his morning practices he would have quite a large sadhana collection and a variety of malas he would use and interchange. He would also not speak with anyone until he finished all these practices, usually late morning. Didn't matter which tulku came into the room and spoke with him, he wouldn't speak until he'd finished his morning practices. He'd also do annual retreats and drupchens on Kalachakra, etc, etc. The extensive Dharmapala practices on the 29th would take around 5 hours, and Shechen Rabjam Rinpoche and other tulkus could recite all these by heart, they wouldn't refer to the texts.

IMHO He didn't do these practices out of personal need or requirement, but to pass on the maximum blessings to others and to fulfil his activity.
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

HH Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
HH Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
HHDKRLaSonnerie.small.jpg (267.82 KiB) Viewed 4621 times
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Just for the record... I want to be like that. :twothumbsup:
heart

Post by heart »

Yeti wrote:IMHO He didn't do these practices out of personal need or requirement, but to pass on the maximum blessings to others and to fulfil his activity.
I think that depends on what you mean with "personal need". For example ChNNR says he would not be alive today if he didn't do Mandarava practice. His death would be very bad for his students. So what was beneficial for Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche certainly benefited infinite other sentient beings as well.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

heart wrote:
Yeti wrote:IMHO He didn't do these practices out of personal need or requirement, but to pass on the maximum blessings to others and to fulfil his activity.
I think that depends on what you mean with "personal need". For example ChNNR says he would not be alive today if he didn't do Mandarava practice. His death would be very bad for his students. So what was beneficial for Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche certainly benefited infinite other sentient beings as well.

/magnus
I don't dispute that at all.

But, for instance, Guru Rinpoche did heaps of retreats and practices. He didn't need too. He didn't hang out in villages, but regardless of his attainment, he kept on practising in retreat. I don't think he needed to do those practices at all, but they were done to conscecrate them further, for our benefit IMHO (could be wrong). AFAIK it was all done to bless the practices that where transmitted. I'd put the 60 odd years Kyabje Trulshik Rinpoche spent in retreat, of which 35 years was spent on the Nyingthik Yabshi into that category too.
heart

Post by heart »

Yeti wrote:
heart wrote:

/magnus
I don't dispute that at all.

But, for instance, Guru Rinpoche did heaps of retreats and practices. He didn't need too. He didn't hang out in villages, but regardless of his attainment, he kept on practising in retreat. I don't think he needed to do those practices at all, but they were done to conscecrate them further, for our benefit IMHO (could be wrong). AFAIK it was all done to bless the practices that where transmitted. I'd put the 60 odd years Kyabje Trulshik Rinpoche spent in retreat, of which 35 years was spent on the Nyingthik Yabshi into that category too.
My only point was that at their level of attainment the line between "personal need" and "for the benefit of all sentient beings" becomes a little hazy. If we are serious about this path it goes on until we die, no vacations. :smile:

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Dronma

Post by Dronma »

heart wrote: My only point was that at their level of attainment the line between "personal need" and "for the benefit of all sentient beings" becomes a little hazy. If we are serious about this path it goes on until we die, no vacations. :smile:

/magnus
:twothumbsup:
There is no separation in between "me" and "others" for the Awakened Ones.
The sound of s i l e n c e.....

Return to “Dzogchen”