Diversity and Harmony

Post sayings or stories from Buddhist traditions which you find interesting, inspiring or useful. (Your own stories are welcome on DW, but in the Creative Writing or Personal Experience forums rather than here.)
BFS

Diversity and Harmony

Post by BFS »

"We should have total confidence in our own spiritual path along with perfect respect toward other truths" His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"While pointing out the fundamental similarities between world religions, I do not advocate one particular religion at the expense of all others, nor do I seek a new 'world religion'. All the different religions of the world are needed to enrich human experience and world civilization.

Our human minds, being of different calibre and disposition, need different approaches to peace and happiness.

Thus, the point is clear: humanity needs all the world's religions to suit the ways of life, diverse spiritual needs, and inherited national traditions of individual human beings.

It is from this perspective that I welcome efforts being made in various parts of the world for better understanding among religions.

The need for this is particularly urgent now.

If all religions make the betterment of humanity their main concern, then they can easily work together in harmony for world peace. Interfaith understanding will bring about the unity necessary for all religions to work together. However, although this is indeed an important step, we must remember that there are no quick or easy solutions. We cannot hide the doctrinal differences that exist among various faiths, nor can we hope to replace the existing religions by a new universal belief. Each religion has its own distinctive contributions to make, and each in its own way is suitable to a particular group of people as they understand life. The world needs them all."

His Holiness the Dalai Lama - A Human Approach to World Peace.

http://www.dalailama.com/messages/world ... h-to-peace
ronnewmexico

Re: Diversity and Harmony

Post by ronnewmexico »

In certain parts of africa it is a common practice to take the skin and organ parts of albino peoples, after killing them, and make them into religious charms to ward aff evil and inspire the prosperous. It is part of the shaminstic culture and religion.
Quite a few albinos have been killed thusly and investigations are ongoing to determine the perpetrators of the crimes. Albinos in this area are thusly living in fear and many will not go in public places.

This may be found true by quary on internet, though the news was current about 6 months ago. It is a continual situaion.

So all religions are seemingly not equal. Native new guineans did indeed incorporate the eating of the brains of those they killed or others who died by natural means into their native religion. Such was eventually outlawed by government as cetain diseases were spread by this practice.

I do agree with the sentiment. I have to remind myself I do not have HHDL's fortunate circumstance of life nor can I conduct myself as he does, as certainly I have not provided such cause.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
BFS

Post by BFS »

If you read more from the link in the OP - it is clear that His Holiness was speaking about major world religions and paths that lead away from negative deeds caused by ignorance.

I maintain that every major religion of the world - Buddhism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Jainism, Judaism, Sikhism, Taoism, Zoroastrianism - has similar ideals of love, the same goal of benefiting humanity through spiritual practice, and the same effect of making their followers into better human beings.
The great teachers wanted to lead their followers away from the paths of negative deeds caused by ignorance and to introduce them to paths of goodness.
neverdowell

Post by neverdowell »

Thanks, good topic. I especially agree with the part about people having full faith in their own religion and not giving way to a New World Religion. I read that quote in HHDL's book How To See Yourself As You Really Are, and it was a significant factor in my taking refuge in the Triple Gem.

To develop bodhichitta, which is the actual practice, you need to develop such compassion that you simply cannot bear others being tormented by suffering. But in order to develop this compassion, you must know exactly how you yourself are plagued by suffering. And you must understand that the whole of samsara is by nature suffering. But first you must fear the lower realms, for without this you will have no repudiation of celestial and human happiness. You must therefore train your mind in the small- and medium- scope parts of the path. -- Pabongka Rinpoche
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

I state.."I do agree with the sentiment"

However how can we discuss in a religious context only the major religions of the world.
The religions of the native americans for instance the Aztecs, INcas and hundreds of others are not major due majorly to conquest and surpression. So why this context only of major. They were major by population, globally, prior to such conquest.

So are they also not major now? Is strict population the only issue?

I again do agree with the sentiment... but there are many nuances to this thing of religion and what constitutes such a thing even in majority.

Tibet was likewise a victim of surpression and removal and now in Tibet, Tibetans are not the majority by population. Should then Tibetan Buddhism be disallowed from a conversation on ethics and morality as they no longer hold a majority?

HHDl is a great man and leader, but the title states diversity and harmony...this issue if a bit more complex than as represented. A simple statement on such...yes I agree with the sentiment.
If however diversity and harmony are so implied as stated...why then only certain religions by populations consideration? Why that? Are other religious leaders not great because they hold no majority. And why the term great....are all religions determinations by size? I personally find such arbitrary assigned designations not reflective of diversity nor particularly producers of harmony.

So with no discussion and as this is not a story I'd suggest it should be in a school specific site.
Otherwise I would not be surprised by what one may get in responsse.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
BFS

Post by BFS »

You can discuss whatever you wish to discuss, with whoever is inclined to discuss with you, Ron. The intention of my post is merely to clarify and put into context the OP, nothing more..
BFS

Post by BFS »

neverdowell wrote:Thanks, good topic. I especially agree with the part about people having full faith in their own religion and not giving way to a New World Religion. I read that quote in HHDL's book How To See Yourself As You Really Are, and it was a significant factor in my taking refuge in the Triple Gem.
It really sits well with me, too. Attachment to labels, or aversion to labels is much of a muchness imo. I see no sense in trying to blend them all into a soup we approve of, or just pretend that differences do not exist. I much prefer celebrating differences - just rejoicing and being happy for others that they have found something that works for them, something that leads them away from paths of negativity, makes good sense, to me.
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Well...."The intention of my post is merely to clarify and put into context the OP, nothing more.."

your intention does not fit the reality.
If diversity and harmony in a religious context is intended all religions must be considered not just large world relgiions. Diversity implies such. So the content conflicts with the subject matter.

Perhaps a more appropriate title would be.....large world religions or HHDL's statements on large world religions, pr some such. Or as I mention perhaps this put in a school specific site.
BFS

Post by BFS »

ronnewmexico wrote:Well...."The intention of my post is merely to clarify and put into context the OP, nothing more.."

your intention does not fit the reality.
If diversity and harmony in a religious context is intended all religions must be considered not just large world relgiions. Diversity implies such. So the content conflicts with the subject matter.

Perhaps a more appropriate title would be.....large world religions or HHDL's statements on large world religions, pr some such. Or as I mention perhaps this put in a school specific site.
Ron, the intention given fits my reality - being one that encourages respect, end of story.

No one is being deliberately ignored here.

Please, if you are unhappy with the thread, or the label it has been given, you are always free to begin another thread, I have nothing further to add..
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Yes

I am also free to comment upon this thread. Unless I deviate from point or otherwise violate board rules, both of which I do not.

First is brought up religions and religious practices that are not necessarily considered in harmony with others.
Second that is found faulted as it is explained only certain religions that are refered to.
Third I then propose that is not then reflective of diversity as not all religions are included.
Forth I am then told my comments are not welcome as the only intent is to encourage respect.

That is humerous to me. Especially the encourageing respect part. Ignoring...I know not what you reference I mention nothing about ignoring, nor care if a comment I make is ignored. I have now concluded that some diversity is acceptable. However diversity of opinion is not one of the accepted kinds.
So yes..our communication is over on this thread.

I will add one carevat:
If you do not desire comments about a thread you post or want to only have positive comments please advise me in the initial post and I will comply to such a request. If not stated I will give my honest opinion if I find it interesting and worth commenting upon. Board rules do not require only positive comments.

Return to “Dharma Stories”