YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Near death experiences - Dhamma Wheel

Near death experiences

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
greggorious

Near death experiences

Postby greggorious » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:06 pm

Anyone here in the theravada have any opinion on near death experiences? I know the Tibetan book of the dead thinks it has it all worked out, i.e when we see that unconditional loving light that's it's a glimpse into Nirvana, though because we get too attached to it during death we're then subject to another re birth. What about those who are absolutely certain they've seen God? Are they completely delusional? It's it all just mind states? I've had an obsession with near death experiences for amny years, would love to know if any of you have an opinion on the matter.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah

David2

Re: Near death experiences

Postby David2 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:12 pm

greggorious

Postby greggorious » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:50 pm

I've taken many drugs. I've never met God, entered heaven or seent eh universe while high or hallucinating.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah

chownah

Postby chownah » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:11 am

DarwidHalim

Postby DarwidHalim » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:59 am

This is the topic I want to find out as well.

Are there teaching about near death experience in Theravada?

------
As a note, Tibetan book of dead is actually a wrong translation. This translation bring an image that this teaching is actually from Tibetan tradition. In fact, the teaching has nothing to do with Tibetab culture.

The title is actually called Natural Liberation, which was taught by Nalanda master named Padmashambava.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:54 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

DarwidHalim

Postby DarwidHalim » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:13 am

Ehmm, basically what we need to do in the Natural Liberation is similar with what you describe Ben.

In terms of what we need to do, I don't see a difference.

However, is there a teaching in Theravada saying what will you see or what will you face during the death time.

This teaching is useful in the sense that it prepares us in advance by knowing what are we going to face.

It is like we want to go to Iraq.

If I know the map about Iraq, the culture there, and the people there, I will not shock when I am in Iraq. In this way, I can practice what I need to do smoothly.

But if I don't know Iraq, I can be shock when I experience that.

If in our daily life we have fail to be mindful, to do like what you have describe, it is almost 99% certain that during death, we will also fail. Because the situation is completely different.

If we cannot be mindful, calm and quite Himalaya, it is very unlikely we can be mindful, calm, and quite in the Wall Street.

In this way, the teaching of Natural Liberation is useful. It teaches us and prepare us, what are you going to face there.

Do you see my point?

It is this one, that I want to ask. Are there teachings in Theravada, which explain the situation near death?
I am not here nor there.
I am not I nor non-I.

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:32 am

If you are looking for a Theravadin version of the Tibetan book of the dead, and descriptions of the "bardo" then I think you'll be disappointed. I haven't encountered anything like that.
The Theravadin point of view I am most familiar with is to pay attention regardless of what is going on.

Be aware!
Be equanimous!
Every moment aware!
Every moment equanimous!

A guidebook is useless when facing death. What one needs is a depth of equanimity and awareness that has been developed through samatha and vipassana practices.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

DarwidHalim

Postby DarwidHalim » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:31 am

I am not here nor there.
I am not I nor non-I.

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:24 am

DarwidHalim

Postby DarwidHalim » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:05 am

Oh Thank you Mizens,

I read that one, but I don't really get it. :(

May be someone here can explain that part to us.
I am not here nor there.
I am not I nor non-I.

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”