Nyingma Kama Wangs Started Today!

Yudron

Nyingma Kama Wangs Started Today!

Post by Yudron »

Yangthang Tulku Rinpoche started the bestowal of the Kama Empowerments today at Orgyen Dorje Den in Alameda, California.

He started by giving refuge and bodhisattva vows. Then he gave the kriyayoga Medicine Buddha empowerment... quite short, with no empowerment substances. Of the classes of Kriyayoga tantras, this is from the Tathagatha tantras. Historically, this was given to King Trisong Detsun as his main medicine practice. It was then practiced by his princes and subsequent kings for several generations.

Then, he gave the tagon for the Drimed Ozer--Stainless Light Rays--empowerment he will give tomorrow. This is another kriyayoga tantra. I don't know what deity for sure, but I heard Rinpoche say the word "Vajrasattva" while he was talking in Tibetan, but this was untranslated.

Rinpoche was born in 1923.

Here is a list of the order he he gave these wangs in on another occasion... looks like he may go in a similar order. It has been said that the Guhyagarbha may be given on March 22-24.
http://nyingma-kater.blogspot.se/2012/0 ... nding.html
conebeckham

Re: Nyingma Kama Wangs Started Today!

Post by conebeckham »

I think Vajravidarana comes soon...there are several forms/colors. Dorje nam job or nam par home in Tibetan.

Any idea when Mayajala /guhyagarbha will happen..?
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

conebeckham wrote:I think Vajravidarana comes soon...there are several forms/colors. Dorje nam job or nam par home in Tibetan.

http://www.berotsana.org/light-of-berot ... ments.html

[Says Guhyagarbha may be 3/22 - 3/24.]
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

conebeckham wrote:I think Vajravidarana comes soon...there are several forms/colors. Dorje nam job or nam par home in Tibetan.

It maybe the 22nd, but they also say they are not absolutely sure of the
date for Guyagarbha. By the way, the video interview is quite good:

...in this video interview, Lama Chonam and lotsawa Sangye Khandro talk about the meaning and importance of the Nyingma Kama Empowerments:

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si-F5kws ... e=youtu.be

Guyagarbha Tantra or Secret Essence

http://www.berotsana.org/light-of-berot ... ments.html

"Many of you have been asking about the Peaceful-Wrathful cycle of empowerments so we wanted to give everyone this information. In order to read, contemplate and practice the Guyagarbha Tantra or Secret Essence, the individual must have the corresponding empowerment. That empowerment is the Kama empowerment for the Peaceful and Wrathful pantheon of deities that lasts approximately two to three days. It very extensive because one is empowered for and blessed by each of the one hundred deities in these combined mandalas. The three higher empowerments are also given."
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Rinpoche will also bestow the Nyingthig Yabshi in France this year. Anyone going? If so, anyone know how to get in without being a student of Sogyal Rinpoche?
Pero

Post by Pero »

Clarence wrote:Rinpoche will also bestow the Nyingthig Yabshi in France this year. Anyone going? If so, anyone know how to get in without being a student of Sogyal Rinpoche?
Whaaaaaaaaat? :jawdrop:
When is it? Are there any more details available somewhere? You have to be a student of Sogyal Rinpoche?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Clarence wrote:Rinpoche will also bestow the Nyingthig Yabshi in France this year. Anyone going? If so, anyone know how to get in without being a student of Sogyal Rinpoche?
Two month Dzogchen retreat at Lerab Ling in 2012 was probably a requisite, as it is open to "Dzogchen Mandala" or open to Rigpa Ngondro students, however if you have the equivalent with another teacher, maybe that experience would be taken under consideration; perhaps that experience would be accepted as meeting one of these requisites. Seems worth contacting them to find out if you are seriously drawn to go:

email: [email protected]" target="_blank" target="_blank general email: [email protected]" target="_blank" target="_blank

tel: +33 4 67 88 46 09 from 9am to 1pm (according to the time in France)

Fax +33 (0)4 67 88 46 01
Last edited by T. Chokyi on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Pero wrote:
When is it? Are there any more details available somewhere? You have to be a student of Sogyal Rinpoche?
http://www.lerabling.org/index.php/lang ... g-rinpoche
Pero

Post by Pero »

T. Chokyi wrote:
Pero wrote:
http://www.lerabling.org/index.php/lang ... g-rinpoche
Thank you! OMG!!!! It's right during the time we have hollidays at work! Problem for me is money but more importantly getting in if you're not Sogyal Rinpoche's student. :crying:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

Regarding the sequence of empowerments, Changling Rinpoche told me that Kyabje Trulshik Rinpoche would often not tell him which empowerment he was giving in the series until that actual morning, it could be out of sequence. Changling Rinpoche choponed the Nyingma Kahma and other empowerments at Shechen. He said he got a break during the Yabshi because the 5 empowerments pretty much were similar with minor changes.

When Changling Rinpoche gave a series of empowerments in AU, he would often not tell us the full list of substances and materials required until a few hours before the self empowerment was to begin. This was the protocol to see if there were the right circumstances or difficulties for everything to come together were there. One time, for one important empowerment, it was a very tight timeline, and I was to meet my VB at a street corner after both doing shopping. I went there and couldn't find him. It wasn't crowded. In the end I had to go back with the substances I had to give to Rinpoche, then come back and look for my VB. I still couldn't find him. Eventually he rang my mobile phone from a shop. He told me he had been standing on that corner for one and a half hours. I completely believe him. But even though I had stood there and looked around as clearly as possible I saw no one at all. Everything went well for that empowerment though.

My VB and I had prepared as best as possible for these series of empowerments by assembling the best collection of empowerment ritual implements and substances into two medium size fold out plastic tool boxes with compartments, which we called the chopon's tool box. It really helps being very organised in this manner.
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Pero wrote: Thank you! OMG!!!! It's right during the time we have hollidays at work! Problem for me is money but more importantly getting in if you're not Sogyal Rinpoche's student. :crying:
...you're welcome...they have this consideration for people who don't have funds, I read that on the site, and also some kind of work arrangement practitioners can make, they mention that on the site too...well, like I said, maybe there is some flexibility about prerequisites if there is some kind of equivalent experience...it does not hurt to ask... :shrug:
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Yeti wrote:Regarding the sequence of empowerments, Changling Rinpoche told me that Kyabje Trulshik Rinpoche would often not tell him which empowerment he was giving in the series until that actual morning, it could be out of sequence. Changling Rinpoche choponed the Nyingma Kahma and other empowerments at Shechen. He said he got a break during the Yabshi because the 5 empowerments pretty much were similar with minor changes.

When Changling Rinpoche gave a series of empowerments in AU, he would often not tell us the full list of substances and materials required until a few hours before the self empowerment was to begin. This was the protocol to see if there were the right circumstances or difficulties for everything to come together were there. One time, for one important empowerment, it was a very tight timeline, and I was to meet my VB at a street corner after both doing shopping. I went there and couldn't find him. It wasn't crowded. In the end I had to go back with the substances I had to give to Rinpoche, then come back and look for my VB. I still couldn't find him. Eventually he rang my mobile phone from a shop. He told me he had been standing on that corner for one and a half hours. I completely believe him. But even though I had stood there and looked around as clearly as possible I saw no one at all. Everything went well for that empowerment though.

My VB and I had prepared as best as possible for these series of empowerments by assembling the best collection of empowerment ritual implements and substances into two medium size fold out plastic tool boxes with compartments, which we called the chopon's tool box. It really helps being very organised in this manner.
Hi Yeti : ) Yes, it does, thank you for sharing.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

On the second day Rinpoche finished the wang he started yesterday, gave four additional wangs and the tagon for the one tomorrow. He is going blazingly fast, which means the translators only interject occasionally--as quickly and unobtrusively as they can--the background talk he gives. I miss about 30%.

The room has more western monastics than I thought yesterday--I think about 10. Combined with the Tibetan monks and lamas up front, and Gyaltrul Rinpoche's (appropriately) strict rules governing our conduct, combined to create a decidedly monastic atmosphere.

I'd guess there are 150 people there. I don't know most of them. So, it is a delight to hear on both sides of me, and all around the room, the sounds of people who have memorized many more standard prayers in Tibetan than I have. I feel like turning to the person next to me and saying "I've been doing this for 20 years and I still haven't memorized that as well as you have," but the rules prevent chit-chat. Then "Du sum Sangyey" starts, and then even I know that one.

We received two Kriyayoga wangs from Vimalamitra, from Yanthang Rinpoche who is regarded as an emanation of Vima. One empowerment came down from Nubchen Sangye Yeshe... he who brought us the nine yana system and planted the early the seeds of anuyoga. It was a wrathful kriya practice. So I learned that there are wrathful practices in Kriyayoga.

Some of the kriya practices we received were practical, such as an empowerment that grants permission for us to recite certain dharanis that prevent one from going to the lower realms. Another was a white wrathful deity that clears away sickness and obstacles.

Anyway, if any of you are thinking about coming out for the Guhyagarbha empowerment--a darn good idea if you can--I hear it may start a day earlier than they were thinking. It may be the 21st, 22nd, 23rd.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Yudron la,

I am guessing Hayagriva is included somewhere within this? Is the complelte Shi Tro part of this transmission?
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

JKhedrup wrote:Yudron la,

I am guessing Hayagriva is included somewhere within this? Is the complete Shi Tro part of this transmission?

Here is a list of wangs from a past Kama event:

http://nyingma-kater.blogspot.com.au/

Hayagriva will be in the Kagye empowerment.

In case any of us ever thought the Gelugpas have a corner on Yamantaka... take a look. It is one of the yidams most well represented in the ancient translations.

Notable in their absence is the dakini practices, as well as peaceful Manjushri and Chenresi. My guess is that Tara and Vajrayogini et all are represented in the Kagye as the consorts. But, a White Umbrella (Sitatapatra) Kriya empowerment was given.

We will receive the Guhyagarbha and the Sutra that Gathers All Intentions--but I'm surprised not to see the Guhyasamaja as well.
Terma

Post by Terma »

Yudron wrote: In case any of us ever thought the Gelugpas have a corner on Yamantaka... take a look. It is one of the yidams most well represented in the ancient translations.
Good point, as I am finding out more now too. You previously mentioned Nupchen Sangye Yeshe, well I beleive his main practice which he received from Guru Rinpoche was indeed Yamantaka- not surprisingly so as he is said to have been an emanation of Manjushri. Just a little interesting aside...

Sounds like quite an event, you are very fortunate to attend! :twothumbsup:
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

The Rinchen Ter Dzod is packed with Yamantaka-- the Body.
Hayagriva -- the speech.
That these are also Kama is no surprise.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Terma wrote:
Yudron wrote: In case any of us ever thought the Gelugpas have a corner on Yamantaka... take a look. It is one of the yidams most well represented in the ancient translations.
Good point, as I am finding out more now too. You previously mentioned Nupchen Sangye Yeshe, well I beleive his main practice which he received from Guru Rinpoche was indeed Yamantaka- not surprisingly so as he is said to have been an emanation of Manjushri. Just a little interesting aside...

Sounds like quite an event, you are very fortunate to attend! :twothumbsup:
If it wasn't Nubchen, who was the siddha who had the famous Phurba siddha who had a competition with a Yamantaka siddha and won? I don't remember that tale very well. If I am I recall it correctly, it may be a representation of how Vajrakilaya came to be more widely practiced in the Nyingma.

Although Nubchen was one of Guru Rinpoche's disciples in his heart--from a historical perspective it has been established that he was born well after Guru Rinpoche died. Even if you add up the dates of GR's like and Nub's birth in the Big Red Book, they don't correspond.

Wasn't Vima a famed Yamataka practitioner?
heart

Post by heart »

"I am Manjusrimitra,
Who has obtained the siddhi of Yamanataka,
Having understood the complete equality of samsara and nirvana,
The wisdom of omniscience have arisen in me."

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Terma

Post by Terma »

Yudron wrote:
Although Nubchen was one of Guru Rinpoche's disciples in his heart--from a historical perspective it has been established that he was born well after Guru Rinpoche died. Even if you add up the dates of GR's like and Nub's birth in the Big Red Book, they don't correspond
Though I know little about Tibetan history, dates, times frames, etc., I thought that Nubchen Sangye Yeshe was one of the "25 disciples" of GR?

Dates, recorded years of lifespans and the sort within Tibetan history and the classic tales always seem to throw me off...hee hee.

Return to “Nyingma”