YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Asubha Bhavana Resources - Dhamma Wheel

Asubha Bhavana Resources

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
jackson

Asubha Bhavana Resources

Postby jackson » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:05 pm

Greetings everyone,
I've decided to take up the practice of Asubha Bhavana and am looking for some good resources, such as guided talks and books on the subject, or information about the guardian meditations in general. So far my searches have turned up a few things, but not much, so can anyone help?
Thanks for your time, :smile:
Jackson
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah

Zom

Re: Asubha Bhavana Resources

Postby Zom » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:35 pm

- Grandpa, why are you so wise?
- If you'd done as much googling as I did, you'd know why ))

;)

jackson

Postby jackson » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:16 pm

Greetings Zom,
Part of the reason I started this thread was because I was having trouble finding decent resources, but also because I thought it might be of benefit to others wishing to undertake the practice as well. So far, the only book I've turned up that mentions Asubha Bhavana is "The State of Mind Called Beautiful", by Sayadaw U Pandita, and since I owned the book I took a look at it and was somewhat dismayed that it only mentions it in passing. Clearly this is not a very popular topic, at least as far as books written in English are concerned. Anyway, these are the best things on the subject I've found so far:
The first is a method of contemplation which I find appealing because it's systematic like metta phrases:
and the second is a talk on the subject by Ajahn Brahm:
Anyway, if anyone knows of any books please feel free to mention them!
Best wishes, :smile:
Jackson
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi Jackson,

Are you talking about the 32-body-part meditation or the contemplation of corpses, etc?

There's a lot of detail on both in the Visuddhimagga, PDF here: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... index.html

I recall that some of Pa Auk Sayadaw's books, which you can find here: http://buddhanet.net/ebooks_m.htm also have quite a lot of detail, but I don't remember the details...

:anjali:
Mike

jackson

Postby jackson » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:41 pm

Hi mikenz66,
I'm interested in both practices, in fact I just read chapter VI of the Visuddhimagga, which covers corpse contemplation, I'll have to find the chapter on the 32 body part meditation. I'll try and look at the Pa Auk Sayadaw books when I get a chance, thanks so much for the links!
With gratitude, :anjali:
Jackson
Edit: In the link Mike provided the book "The Practice Which Leads to Nibbana", by Pa Auk Sayadaw contains a fair bit of interesting information beginning on page 63.

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:51 pm

Hi Jackson,

The Visuddimagga section is:
Mindfulness Occupied with the Body startig at VIII.42, page 236 of the PDF.

:anjali:
Mike

jackson

Postby jackson » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:59 pm

Thanks Mike! :anjali:

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:26 pm

Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

- Theravada texts
- Translations and history of Pali texts
- Sutta translations

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:32 am

Greeings Jackson,

Take care.

A cautionary tale from the Sutta Pitaka...

SN 54.9: Vesali Sutta
http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/acces ... .than.html

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Zom

Postby Zom » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:31 am

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:45 am

With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

jackson

Postby jackson » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:49 am

Sylvester

Postby Sylvester » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:56 am

I think I will second RYB on the aversion point.

I suspect that the asubha practices, as part of satipatthana, are directed towards developing equanimity, and to fight raga, in relation to subha-nimmitta.

Where asubha is directed towards developing nibbida, I think we may need to bear in mind that practically all of the suttas that touch on nibbida contextualise it by reference to the ariyasavaka, ie one who is already at least a Stream Winner. The point about the sekha's training for nibbida would be to eradicate clinging with reference to the 5 Aggregates. I think the Buddha would not have sanctioned asubha as a method to develop revulsion in a putthujana, given that revulsion triggers the patighanusaya - the underlying tendency to aversion.

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”