YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Absorption of a thoroughbred man - Dhamma Wheel

Absorption of a thoroughbred man

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
ground

Absorption of a thoroughbred man

Postby ground » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:35 am

Hi

would you think that the absorption (other translations may call it "concentration") referred to in the is the same as the "concentration on the signless" discussed and also referred to as "theme-less concentration" by B. Thanissaro in his translation of the ?

Kind regards

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Absorption of a thoroughbred man

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:10 am

Greetings TMingyur,

Yes. As I read these suttas, the emphasis is absorption into the signless, rather than absorption into a fabricated object (sankhata dhamma).

How do you interpret the teaching presented?

:meditate:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

ground

Postby ground » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:24 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:52 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:29 pm

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:23 pm

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:32 pm

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:04 am

chownah

Postby chownah » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:56 am

I'm probably not understanding much here but it seems to me that the jhana progression seems to be a progression to more and more refinement of the sign.....there isn't going to be much of a sign when you get to neither perception nor non-perception for example.

Or maybe my understanding of the term "sign" is wrong.
chownah

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:51 am

ground

Postby ground » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:59 am

chownah

Postby chownah » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:49 am

Nana,
Thanks for your reply. I read all of MN 121 and frankly I don't see what all of this uncertainty is about. Could it be that what is going on is that a different times the process of refinement of sign (all the way to signlessness) is posed in different terms perhaps for the reason of giving a different emphasis and that people are getting so attatched to the analysis and its variations that they are losing sight of the meaning of the process overall?....I don't know...I just don't see a discrepency of any significance.
chownah
P.S. Having looked around a bit more I see that probably this post should have been made over on the "concentration on the signless" thread.....sorry if this is in the wrong thread.
chownah

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:47 am

chownah

Postby chownah » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:59 am

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”