Crisis at KPC in Maryland

DGA
Former staff member

Crisis at KPC in Maryland

Post by DGA »

from an email sent to Kunzang Palyul Choling's mailing list:
After almost 30 years of being open and available as a supreme place of Spiritual
Refuge and Pilgrimage, as of March 1, 2013, Montgomery County has closed the Temple,
effectively shutting the doors, until the building can meet compliance requirements
with the current Montgomery County Building Use and Occupancy Code. This is an extremely
urgent situation, and the Temple itself is at risk and may no longer be in existence
if we cannot raise the funds to comply, as soon as possible. We are sending this
urgent appeal to everyone.

How can you help?

Our goal is to begin the mandatory building renovations immediately, so that we
can comply with the County Code, save the Temple and re-open our doors as soon as
possible. This will require immediate funds. Our preliminary estimate is that it
will take over $1,000,000 dollars to begin the massive interior upgrades to all
systems, including drywall, electrical and plumbing work, and the installation
of extensive sprinkler systems throughout the building, and much more.
I'm not sure what else to say. I think the significance of this grave situation should be evident.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Crisis at KPC in Maryland

Post by Grigoris »

It would probably be cheaper for them to find a new building to move into.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

I think with the new elaborate property in Sedona, unless Jetsunma can spend more time in Maryland, it will be hard to attract people to keep it vibrant. Most of the very dedicated followers seem to have moved to Sedona to be closer to their teacher.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

gregkavarnos wrote:It would probably be cheaper for them to find a new building to move into.
There is a stupa next to the building and across the road opposite the building is an extensive stupa park. Because HHPR and others have taught there, they should turn it into a pilgrimage site and this might help with the finances. I have a difficult time believing that the building retrofit requires $1M to *begin*. The building isn't shabby.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

It's a beautiful building. I've never attended a teaching there, but I have spent time at the stupa park on several occasions. The Mingyur Dorje stupa is exceptional.

I wonder what has motivated Montgomery County to inspect the site and evaluate it in this way. Has there been a change in code? A sprinkler system was not required before, but is required now...?
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Jikan wrote:It's a beautiful building. I've never attended a teaching there, but I have spent time at the stupa park on several occasions. The Mingyur Dorje stupa is exceptional.

I wonder what has motivated Montgomery County to inspect the site and evaluate it in this way. Has there been a change in code? A sprinkler system was not required before, but is required now...?
The code may have change, I don't know. There have been up to 100 people, maybe more, inside the building at the height of HHPR's teachings and although I have not been there since 2003, many people attend Khenpo Norgay's teachings there.

If they have to retrofit the building for a sprinkler system then that would be a real problem and that may be where this figure comes from.

Kirt

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Yudron

Post by Yudron »

JKhedrup wrote:I think with the new elaborate property in Sedona, unless Jetsunma can spend more time in Maryland, it will be hard to attract people to keep it vibrant. Most of the very dedicated followers seem to have moved to Sedona to be closer to their teacher.
I thought she had abandoned the Sedona project and gone back to live near Poolesville--or am I out of date?
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Maybe I'm out of the loop... Do any of her students post here?
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

In the past she has gone back and forth between Sedona and KPC. It may say on her website where she is.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

arsent

Post by arsent »

It is very controversial..
Some sources at a first search and look shows that it is looks like a scam, so be careful:
http://friendofpadma.blogspot.com/2010/ ... neral.html
A telephone call to the M&T Bank Legal Department would have saved everyone a lot of panic. They refused to confirm the "Temple seizure" story.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Interesting.

arsent, the material on that blog posting dates back to April of 2010. Are you saying that this is a sequel to that event or a repetition of the same three years on?

You're right, it's certainly controversial.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

arsent wrote:It is very controversial..
Some sources at a first search and look shows that it is looks like a scam, so be careful:
A telephone call to the M&T Bank Legal Department would have saved everyone a lot of panic. They refused to confirm the "Temple seizure" story.
Oh, be careful about things you read against Akhon Lhamo. An aggressive con artist, and convicted arsonist, named Cassidy has been out to get her for some years. He makes posts and blogs under a wide variety of pseudonyms. I'm not saying it is a wonderful center or a horrible center, just do your own investigations and don't rely on anonymous internet sources.
arsent

Post by arsent »

Jikan wrote:Interesting.

arsent, the material on that blog posting dates back to April of 2010. Are you saying that this is a sequel to that event or a repetition of the same three years on?

I don't think that this is scam, I told - it could and that it is controversal.. Why, because those articles was in first rows in google, when I've tried to search about this temple..
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

arsent wrote:
Jikan wrote:Interesting.

I don't think that this is scam, I told - it could and that it is controversal.. Why, because those articles was in first rows in google, when I've tried to search about this temple..
Well, certainly the Google King knows all and sees all. :?
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

arsent,

Please let me clarify my earlier post a bit. The blog post you cited appears to be about an event that happened in 2010. This thread is about something going on right now (2013). Are you certain the two events are related? If so, how are they related?

thanks
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Yudron wrote:
arsent wrote:It is very controversial..
Oh, be careful about things you read against Akhon Lhamo. An aggressive con artist, and convicted arsonist, named Cassidy has been out to get her for some years. He makes posts and blogs under a wide variety of pseudonyms. I'm not saying it is a wonderful center or a horrible center, just do your own investigations and don't rely on anonymous internet sources.
Yudron, I am not sure but maybe your period in retreat caused you to not be totally up-to-date on the drama between Cassidy and AL. There was much nastiness on both sides, and while we may expect it from the resumé of Cassidy, it didn't look too good from the other camp. Anyway, Cassidy had a bout of time in prison for virtual harassment, but if you look at the back-and-forth via twitter you'd be shocked to see what so-called Buddhist monks and nuns had been involved in.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Adamantine wrote:
Yudron, I am not sure but maybe your period in retreat caused you to not be totally up-to-date on the drama between Cassidy and AL. There was much nastiness on both sides, and while we may expect it from the resumé of Cassidy, it didn't look too good from the other camp. Anyway, Cassidy had a bout of time in prison for virtual harassment, but if you look at the back-and-forth via twitter you'd be shocked to see what so-called Buddhist monks and nuns had been involved in.
I heard afterwards, and I don't care to get involved in it. I warned one of her monks about Cassidy publicly on E-sangha before he was invited to meet her, but he chose not to believe me, and instead to believe a sweet talking snake-oil salesman. There was obviously some karma there in order for the whole thing to go forward. You may remember he harassed me briefly with homophobic posts under various sock puppets on my own blog.
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

I sincerely hope that if people are going to donate USD $1 000 000, they will do it directly to the Palyul lineage and not to a lady that has been an unmitigated disaster from day one.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Karma Dorje wrote:I sincerely hope that if people are going to donate USD $1 000 000, they will do it directly to the Palyul lineage and not to a lady that has been an unmitigated disaster from day one.
The tulkus from Namdroling, and any other monastery, have also had their share of dramas and intrigue. Maybe better to use the Catholic system and confer sainthood posthumously.
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Yudron wrote:
Karma Dorje wrote:I sincerely hope that if people are going to donate USD $1 000 000, they will do it directly to the Palyul lineage and not to a lady that has been an unmitigated disaster from day one.
The tulkus from Namdroling, and any other monastery, have also had their share of dramas and intrigue. Maybe better to use the Catholic system and confer sainthood posthumously.
Or at least based on track record in this life! That seems relatively safe.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava

Return to “Nyingma”