YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

I feel like giving up - Dhamma Wheel

I feel like giving up

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
BlueLotus

I feel like giving up

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:26 pm

I try to meditate but I cannot even stay in the present moment. I don't even know when I slip. All I know is when I wake up from my long mental journeys around the universe, so much time has passed that my back is aching and I want to lie down. Then I lie down and naturally have a good sleep. :(

I'm a SLOB. :( This has been going on for months. Am I doing something wrong? I try real hard to stay in the present but I always think think and think all kinds of stuff... :(

Do you have any advice for me please?

Jhana4

Re: I feel like giving up

Postby Jhana4 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:39 pm

In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:43 pm

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:53 pm

My meditation object is the breath. Before I come to the breath I try to be in the present moment for a while. Just listening to sounds and just being. When I am not sitting I try to be mindful too. Most of the time I fail miserably.

I don't have a teacher yet as I changed my location recently. Looking for one at the moment.

Thanks for the replies :anjali:

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:57 pm

I sometimes try the metta meditation too but I end up doing this...

1) When I breathe in I read one phase
2) When I breathe out I read the other

lol :rofl:

So it's like I'm doing the breath meditation again. that is why i usually stick to the breath... walking meditation is distracting for me as I don't know where on the floor I should focus on as I am moving. I end up counting the floor tiles lol

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:19 pm

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:26 pm

David2

Postby David2 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:29 pm

santa100

Postby santa100 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:06 pm

Breath meditation is a great method so keep up the effort and you'll see improvements soon. I'd like to add just a few points:

1. Do not force your breaths. Breathe as naturally as you can.
2. Maintain your focus on the nostrils where you could feel the breaths coming in and out. It's important to maintain this "point of contact" just like a lumberjack focusing on the cutting mark on a log while moving his saw back and forth.
3. When distracting thoughts arise, use the counting method for each in-and-out breath from 1 to 10 and then back to 1 to 10 again and again.

Good luck..

Kenshou

Postby Kenshou » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:39 pm

If I were a Zen master I'd say, "Yes, give it up, give it all up! Katsu!"

But no really, practice makes perfect. With a lot of skills there is a stage where you come to realize what you don't know yet, where before you didn't even know what you don't know, and awareness of that gap makes you feel like you're actually doing worse, but it's all part of the learning.

manas

Postby manas » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:24 pm

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

Ben

Postby Ben » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:55 pm

The manifestation of the hindrance of sloth and torpor when one begins meditation is probably universal.
We have all gone through it, or are going through it, or will go through it.
Its just essenceless impersonal phenomena rising and falling. Its a mistake to identify with it.

Instead, return your attention to the object as soon as you notice it is elsewhere. Its completely understandable that the mind will wander. Its just the nature of an untrained mind that has long been fed on sensual objects. Just accept it with patience and equanimity and return to the object.
This publication you might find useful:

The Five Mental Hindrances and Their Conquest: Selected Texts from the Pali Canon and the Commentaries
compiled and translated by Nyanaponika Thera

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el026.html
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

chownah

Postby chownah » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:00 am

ground

Postby ground » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:43 am

pegembara

Postby pegembara » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:58 am

Have you tried listening to a most beautiful piece of music? If you truly enjoy it your mind will not wander to the past or future. That is one way you can train.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

acinteyyo

Postby acinteyyo » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:07 am

Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:01 pm

Thank you. Some great advice here. I really appreciate all your replies and PMs.

:namaste:

manas

Postby manas » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:05 pm

Last edited by manas on Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

manas

Postby manas » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi BlueLotus,
I thought of one more thing. Because sloth and torpor is my biggest challenge too, I have a 'system' in place whereby I time the 'main meditation sit' for the day to be at a time when I know that I will be as alert as possible. For me, that is in the morning, before breakfast, but after a strong caffeinated beverage...(everything has it's proper use, so long as it's allowable ;)). One day I aspire to be able to do it even at night, even without the caffeine...but in the meantime, part of my 'creating the right conditions for practice' is doing (the main sit) in the morning, and before eating (the mind is sharper when the stomach is empty of food). Finding your own 'best time of day for alertness' (and if need be the aid of a cup of tea or coffee) might help you also. Just a thought...

:namaste:

Zom

Postby Zom » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:48 pm

There's one more thing good to remember - meditation is only a part of practice. Much more to do even without meditation.
This is good to start with "rectifying your views" as Buddha advised. And then to read a lot of suttas to get a detailed map not only of meditation, but of the practice as a whole. :idea:

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”