The Third Eye

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Motova

The Third Eye

Post by Motova »

When I decided to investigate spirituality more in depth two years ago, I wanted to be sure of the validity of the world beyond our five senses. I've always been very skeptical, but I have also had the opportunity to experience many psychic happenings throughout my life. I had always had a magnetic attraction towards the paranormal, specifically psychics from a very early age which never went away. So I decided that to be completely sure of the "spiritual world" (for lack of a better term) I would try and open my third eye. After a few sessions of mindfulness meditation and concentrating on an eye between my two physical eyes, I started seeing orbs (of various colours and sizes), masses (coloured clouds or smoke), auras, and visual snow. Moreover, I noticed the frequency of psychic happenings increased dramatically and my ability to see what I visualize had increased.

My questions are:

Have any of you experienced or read anything close to what I am describing?

What is Vajrayana's perspective on the third eye?

Does an opened third eye mean some kind of spiritual attainment? Or can someone on any level of spiritual development open it?

Thanks.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: The Third Eye

Post by Grigoris »

Dear Motova,

Already I can hear people groaning but here it goes anyway:

Standard Vajrayana question #1: who is the teacher that gave you this practice?
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Motova

Post by Motova »

gregkavarnos wrote:Dear Motova,

Already I can hear people groaning but here it goes anyway:

Standard Vajrayana question #1: who is the teacher that gave you this practice?
Aha sorry.
I found it somewhere on the internet, it was years ago. The practice was simply visualizing an indigo eye opening between the eyes. :shrug:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Standard Vajrayana answwer #1: Don't mess around with practices you find on the internet, they can cause you immense harm, find a qualified teacher to give you some real practices before you screw up your mental health. This is not a game.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Motova

Post by Motova »

gregkavarnos wrote:Standard Vajrayana answwer #1: Don't mess around with practices you find on the internet, they can cause you immense harm, find a qualified teacher to give you some real practices before you screw up your mental health. This is not a game.
I totally agree with you. But what done is done. I do want to find a teacher ASAP, until then I'll continue to restrict myself to various mantras, prostrations, mindfulness meditation, and contemplating teachings.

Thanks,

Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

You are not restricting yourself by doing those practices. They are the highest practices you can do. Sadly there is no third eye.It was just an experience that took you away somewhere. What Greg has said here is correct. Coming down to the ground is quite difficult but necessary. Ego wants you to fly. This is the problem all genuine practitioners face. So you are not alone. But I think all will be o.k.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
Pema_Nyizer

Post by Pema_Nyizer »

Andrew108 wrote:You are not restricting yourself by doing those practices. They are the highest practices you can do. Sadly there is no third eye.It was just an experience that took you away somewhere. What Greg has said here is correct. Coming down to the ground is quite difficult but necessary. Ego wants you to fly. This is the problem all genuine practitioners face. So you are not alone. But I think all will be o.k.
Surprisingly enough, I needed to hear that myself tonight. Thanks
"Mind is the energy display of awareness." ~The Venerable Khenchen Palden Sherab Rinpoche
Motova

Post by Motova »

Andrew108 wrote:You are not restricting yourself by doing those practices. They are the highest practices you can do. Sadly there is no third eye.It was just an experience that took you away somewhere. What Greg has said here is correct. Coming down to the ground is quite difficult but necessary. Ego wants you to fly. This is the problem all genuine practitioners face. So you are not alone. But I think all will be o.k.
So you're suggesting that all my experiences have been my imagination or bouts of psychosis? :crazy:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Motova wrote:
So you're suggesting that all my experiences have been my imagination or bouts of psychosis? :crazy:
He is saying that your experiences (visual and mental effects) were just experiences and nothing else. Everything else (spiritual advancement/attainment) is what you are imputing onto your experiences. This is nothing new. We do it every day for all our experiences, whether they be mundane/banal or extraordinary. It's just the way we are habituated to function.

Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Motova wrote:
Hi Motova, I am not sure what Andrew's view is but in my experience and according to the authentic traditional lineage teachings I have received there is certainly a basis for what you could label the "third eye". However, Greg is right it is not to be dallied with casually on your own... that could create problems. As for your own experiences, it would be best for a teacher to interpret for you. It may have been imagination, or noticing the cellular play of light through the nerves of the visual cortex, etc. Or you may have activated subtle nerves in that center. There is a quite detailed map of the different psychic nervous centers, or "chakras" which are like hubs of these thousands of subtle nerves. They align with the central channel. In sanskrit the channels are Uma Kyangma and Roma. http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... e_channelsThe central and the two side channels. These are related to extensively in the higher yogas, specifically Anu-yoga which works with Tsa lung practices directly. You absolutely need a teacher who has mastered these practices to train you in them.
So maybe what we could do collectively is try to point you towards a teacher.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

Yes what Greg said. Also:
My view is that if you conceptualize a third eye or the channels, then you are not really a suitable student for higher tantras. Until you can let go of the contents of experience, and understand that wisdom is not an object to conceive of, 'achieving' a 'wisdom body' will be very far away. If students concretize the channels then they will cause endless problems for themselves and others.
If you meet a teacher who says 'yes' there is a third eye and who praises your experences then you are very very unlucky. If you meet a teacher who has realization then you will be very disappointed and this disappointent will be a blessing and means you are very lucky indeed.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Hi Motova,

Experiences like yours are very common. In some traditions, what you describe would be described as the beginning of astral perceptions. There is no harm with playing around with it, but the danger is that one becomes "attached" to what they see. Looking for more and more similar experiences. The "astral" is an aspect of universal (subconscious) mind. Best to treat it as a "confidence" builder that there is more beyond conscious mind, but not something to chase or worry about.

Best regards, Jeff
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Jeff wrote:Hi Motova,

Experiences like yours are very common. In some traditions, what you describe would be described as the beginning of astral perceptions. There is no harm with playing around with it, but the danger is that one becomes "attached" to what they see. Looking for more and more similar experiences. The "astral" is an aspect of universal (subconscious) mind. Best to treat it as a "confidence" builder that there is more beyond conscious mind, but not something to chase or worry about.

Best regards, Jeff
Dear Jeff, you are posting in the Tibetan Buddhism section of the forum, is this information from a particualr Tibetan Buddhist Tradition as it is the first time I have heard of Tibetan Buddhism using terms like "astral perception" and "universal (subconscious mind)"?

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

gregkavarnos wrote:
Jeff wrote:Hi Motova,

Best regards, Jeff
Dear Jeff, you are posting in the Tibetan Buddhism section of the forum, is this information from a particualr Tibetan Buddhist Tradition as it is the first time I have heard of Tibetan Buddhism using terms like "astral perception" and "universal (subconscious mind)"?
You are correct. My apologies to the group, I had just been responding to Motova's post.

By "some traditions", I had meant "other traditions". Sorry about the confusion.

Regards, Jeff
Motova

Post by Motova »

I appreciate the feedback. I'm not attached to the phenomena. I just see pretty colours and experience some extra sensory happenings, which is undeniably interesting. I would absolutely love to have a teacher, but I'm finding it hard to find one. There are Dharma centers within Toronto, but I lack the funds to travel there to continually investigate various centers/teachers. Although I have many books on Tibetan Buddhism, it's very frustrating being deprived of a teacher within a tradition where Gurus are absolutely essential. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Motova wrote:I appreciate the feedback. I'm not attached to the phenomena. I just see pretty colours and experience some extra sensory happenings, which is undeniably interesting. I would absolutely love to have a teacher, but I'm finding it hard to find one. There are Dharma centers within Toronto, but I lack the funds to travel there to continually investigate various centers/teachers. Although I have many books on Tibetan Buddhism, it's very frustrating being deprived of a teacher within a tradition where Gurus are absolutely essential. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Look here to Khenpo Sonam Rinpoche, try to arrange an
interview with him:

http://www.riwoche.com/sonam_rinpoche.html

http://www.riwoche.com/torontotemple.html
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Motova

Post by Motova »

Adamantine wrote:
Motova wrote:I appreciate the feedback. I'm not attached to the phenomena. I just see pretty colours and experience some extra sensory happenings, which is undeniably interesting. I would absolutely love to have a teacher, but I'm finding it hard to find one. There are Dharma centers within Toronto, but I lack the funds to travel there to continually investigate various centers/teachers. Although I have many books on Tibetan Buddhism, it's very frustrating being deprived of a teacher within a tradition where Gurus are absolutely essential. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Look here to Khenpo Sonam Rinpoche, try to arrange an
interview with him:

http://www.riwoche.com/sonam_rinpoche.html

http://www.riwoche.com/torontotemple.html
Thank you very much. :twothumbsup:

Have you any experience with the center/lineage/teachers?

justsit

Post by justsit »

You may also want to visit Nalandabodhi Toronto. Not sure if they have a resident lama right now. Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche taught there last fall, and may be returning in fall 2013.
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

You can click here right now and then click
the M3U on the page to the right below:

http://icecast.ylon.net/" target="_blank

This is Chogyal Namkhai Rinpoche chanting live.

You don't have to do anything, but you might like to hear.

Maybe for now just listen along to the chanting?
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Thanks,
Where exactly are you located? There are many centers throughout Ontario... perhaps one is closer.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”