The Third Eye

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

The Third Eye

Postby Motova » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:56 pm

When I decided to investigate spirituality more in depth two years ago, I wanted to be sure of the validity of the world beyond our five senses. I've always been very skeptical, but I have also had the opportunity to experience many psychic happenings throughout my life. I had always had a magnetic attraction towards the paranormal, specifically psychics from a very early age which never went away. So I decided that to be completely sure of the "spiritual world" (for lack of a better term) I would try and open my third eye. After a few sessions of mindfulness meditation and concentrating on an eye between my two physical eyes, I started seeing orbs (of various colours and sizes), masses (coloured clouds or smoke), auras, and visual snow. Moreover, I noticed the frequency of psychic happenings increased dramatically and my ability to see what I visualize had increased.

My questions are:

Have any of you experienced or read anything close to what I am describing?

What is Vajrayana's perspective on the third eye?

Does an opened third eye mean some kind of spiritual attainment? Or can someone on any level of spiritual development open it?

Thanks.
Motova
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: The Third Eye

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:06 pm

Dear Motova,

Already I can hear people groaning but here it goes anyway:

Standard Vajrayana question #1: who is the teacher that gave you this practice?
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
User avatar
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9292
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: The Third Eye

Postby Motova » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:23 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:Dear Motova,

Already I can hear people groaning but here it goes anyway:

Standard Vajrayana question #1: who is the teacher that gave you this practice?
:namaste:

Aha sorry.
I found it somewhere on the internet, it was years ago. The practice was simply visualizing an indigo eye opening between the eyes. :shrug:
Motova
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: The Third Eye

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:35 pm

Standard Vajrayana answwer #1: Don't mess around with practices you find on the internet, they can cause you immense harm, find a qualified teacher to give you some real practices before you screw up your mental health. This is not a game.
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
User avatar
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9292
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: The Third Eye

Postby Motova » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:45 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:Standard Vajrayana answwer #1: Don't mess around with practices you find on the internet, they can cause you immense harm, find a qualified teacher to give you some real practices before you screw up your mental health. This is not a game.


I totally agree with you. But what done is done. I do want to find a teacher ASAP, until then I'll continue to restrict myself to various mantras, prostrations, mindfulness meditation, and contemplating teachings.

Thanks,

:namaste:
Motova
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: The Third Eye

Postby Andrew108 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:22 am

You are not restricting yourself by doing those practices. They are the highest practices you can do. Sadly there is no third eye.It was just an experience that took you away somewhere. What Greg has said here is correct. Coming down to the ground is quite difficult but necessary. Ego wants you to fly. This is the problem all genuine practitioners face. So you are not alone. But I think all will be o.k.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
Andrew108
 
Posts: 1502
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: The Third Eye

Postby Pema_Nyizer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:31 am

Andrew108 wrote:You are not restricting yourself by doing those practices. They are the highest practices you can do. Sadly there is no third eye.It was just an experience that took you away somewhere. What Greg has said here is correct. Coming down to the ground is quite difficult but necessary. Ego wants you to fly. This is the problem all genuine practitioners face. So you are not alone. But I think all will be o.k.


Surprisingly enough, I needed to hear that myself tonight. Thanks
"Mind is the energy display of awareness." ~The Venerable Khenchen Palden Sherab Rinpoche
User avatar
Pema_Nyizer
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: The Third Eye

Postby Motova » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:34 pm

Andrew108 wrote:You are not restricting yourself by doing those practices. They are the highest practices you can do. Sadly there is no third eye.It was just an experience that took you away somewhere. What Greg has said here is correct. Coming down to the ground is quite difficult but necessary. Ego wants you to fly. This is the problem all genuine practitioners face. So you are not alone. But I think all will be o.k.


So you're suggesting that all my experiences have been my imagination or bouts of psychosis? :crazy:
Motova
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: The Third Eye

Postby Sherab Dorje » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:44 pm

Motova wrote:
Andrew108 wrote:You are not restricting yourself by doing those practices. They are the highest practices you can do. Sadly there is no third eye.It was just an experience that took you away somewhere. What Greg has said here is correct. Coming down to the ground is quite difficult but necessary. Ego wants you to fly. This is the problem all genuine practitioners face. So you are not alone. But I think all will be o.k.


So you're suggesting that all my experiences have been my imagination or bouts of psychosis? :crazy:
He is saying that your experiences (visual and mental effects) were just experiences and nothing else. Everything else (spiritual advancement/attainment) is what you are imputing onto your experiences. This is nothing new. We do it every day for all our experiences, whether they be mundane/banal or extraordinary. It's just the way we are habituated to function.
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
User avatar
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9292
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: The Third Eye

Postby Adamantine » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Motova wrote:
Andrew108 wrote:You are not restricting yourself by doing those practices. They are the highest practices you can do. Sadly there is no third eye.It was just an experience that took you away somewhere. What Greg has said here is correct. Coming down to the ground is quite difficult but necessary. Ego wants you to fly. This is the problem all genuine practitioners face. So you are not alone. But I think all will be o.k.


So you're suggesting that all my experiences have been my imagination or bouts of psychosis? :crazy:


Hi Motova, I am not sure what Andrew's view is but in my experience and according to the authentic traditional lineage teachings I have received there is certainly a basis for what you could label the "third eye". However, Greg is right it is not to be dallied with casually on your own... that could create problems. As for your own experiences, it would be best for a teacher to interpret for you. It may have been imagination, or noticing the cellular play of light through the nerves of the visual cortex, etc. Or you may have activated subtle nerves in that center. There is a quite detailed map of the different psychic nervous centers, or "chakras" which are like hubs of these thousands of subtle nerves. They align with the central channel. In sanskrit the channels are Uma Kyangma and Roma. http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Subtle_channelsThe central and the two side channels. These are related to extensively in the higher yogas, specifically Anu-yoga which works with Tsa lung practices directly. You absolutely need a teacher who has mastered these practices to train you in them.
So maybe what we could do collectively is try to point you towards a teacher.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2954
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Re: The Third Eye

Postby Andrew108 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:17 pm

Yes what Greg said. Also:
My view is that if you conceptualize a third eye or the channels, then you are not really a suitable student for higher tantras. Until you can let go of the contents of experience, and understand that wisdom is not an object to conceive of, 'achieving' a 'wisdom body' will be very far away. If students concretize the channels then they will cause endless problems for themselves and others.
If you meet a teacher who says 'yes' there is a third eye and who praises your experences then you are very very unlucky. If you meet a teacher who has realization then you will be very disappointed and this disappointent will be a blessing and means you are very lucky indeed.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
Andrew108
 
Posts: 1502
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: The Third Eye

Postby Jeff » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Hi Motova,

Experiences like yours are very common. In some traditions, what you describe would be described as the beginning of astral perceptions. There is no harm with playing around with it, but the danger is that one becomes "attached" to what they see. Looking for more and more similar experiences. The "astral" is an aspect of universal (subconscious) mind. Best to treat it as a "confidence" builder that there is more beyond conscious mind, but not something to chase or worry about.

Best regards, Jeff
Jeff
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: The Third Eye

Postby Sherab Dorje » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:37 pm

Jeff wrote:Hi Motova,

Experiences like yours are very common. In some traditions, what you describe would be described as the beginning of astral perceptions. There is no harm with playing around with it, but the danger is that one becomes "attached" to what they see. Looking for more and more similar experiences. The "astral" is an aspect of universal (subconscious) mind. Best to treat it as a "confidence" builder that there is more beyond conscious mind, but not something to chase or worry about.

Best regards, Jeff
Dear Jeff, you are posting in the Tibetan Buddhism section of the forum, is this information from a particualr Tibetan Buddhist Tradition as it is the first time I have heard of Tibetan Buddhism using terms like "astral perception" and "universal (subconscious mind)"?
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
User avatar
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9292
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: The Third Eye

Postby Jeff » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:24 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:
Jeff wrote:Hi Motova,

Experiences like yours are very common. In some traditions, what you describe would be described as the beginning of astral perceptions. There is no harm with playing around with it, but the danger is that one becomes "attached" to what they see. Looking for more and more similar experiences. The "astral" is an aspect of universal (subconscious) mind. Best to treat it as a "confidence" builder that there is more beyond conscious mind, but not something to chase or worry about.

Best regards, Jeff
Dear Jeff, you are posting in the Tibetan Buddhism section of the forum, is this information from a particualr Tibetan Buddhist Tradition as it is the first time I have heard of Tibetan Buddhism using terms like "astral perception" and "universal (subconscious mind)"?


You are correct. My apologies to the group, I had just been responding to Motova's post.

By "some traditions", I had meant "other traditions". Sorry about the confusion.

Regards, Jeff
Jeff
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: The Third Eye

Postby Motova » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:03 pm

I appreciate the feedback. I'm not attached to the phenomena. I just see pretty colours and experience some extra sensory happenings, which is undeniably interesting. I would absolutely love to have a teacher, but I'm finding it hard to find one. There are Dharma centers within Toronto, but I lack the funds to travel there to continually investigate various centers/teachers. Although I have many books on Tibetan Buddhism, it's very frustrating being deprived of a teacher within a tradition where Gurus are absolutely essential. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
:namaste:
Motova
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: The Third Eye

Postby Adamantine » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:17 pm

Motova wrote:I appreciate the feedback. I'm not attached to the phenomena. I just see pretty colours and experience some extra sensory happenings, which is undeniably interesting. I would absolutely love to have a teacher, but I'm finding it hard to find one. There are Dharma centers within Toronto, but I lack the funds to travel there to continually investigate various centers/teachers. Although I have many books on Tibetan Buddhism, it's very frustrating being deprived of a teacher within a tradition where Gurus are absolutely essential. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
:namaste:



Look here to Khenpo Sonam Rinpoche, try to arrange an
interview with him:

http://www.riwoche.com/sonam_rinpoche.html

http://www.riwoche.com/torontotemple.html
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2954
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Re: The Third Eye

Postby Motova » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:43 pm

Adamantine wrote:
Motova wrote:I appreciate the feedback. I'm not attached to the phenomena. I just see pretty colours and experience some extra sensory happenings, which is undeniably interesting. I would absolutely love to have a teacher, but I'm finding it hard to find one. There are Dharma centers within Toronto, but I lack the funds to travel there to continually investigate various centers/teachers. Although I have many books on Tibetan Buddhism, it's very frustrating being deprived of a teacher within a tradition where Gurus are absolutely essential. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
:namaste:



Look here to Khenpo Sonam Rinpoche, try to arrange an
interview with him:

http://www.riwoche.com/sonam_rinpoche.html

http://www.riwoche.com/torontotemple.html


Thank you very much. :twothumbsup:

Have you any experience with the center/lineage/teachers?

:namaste:
Motova
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: The Third Eye

Postby justsit » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:09 pm

You may also want to visit Nalandabodhi Toronto. Not sure if they have a resident lama right now. Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche taught there last fall, and may be returning in fall 2013.
User avatar
justsit
 
Posts: 641
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: The Third Eye

Postby T. Chokyi » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:11 pm

You can click here right now and then click
the M3U on the page to the right below:

http://icecast.ylon.net/

This is Chogyal Namkhai Rinpoche chanting live.

You don't have to do anything, but you might like to hear.

Maybe for now just listen along to the chanting?
User avatar
T. Chokyi
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 11:19 am

Re: The Third Eye

Postby Karma Dorje » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:55 pm

Motova wrote:I appreciate the feedback. I'm not attached to the phenomena. I just see pretty colours and experience some extra sensory happenings, which is undeniably interesting. I would absolutely love to have a teacher, but I'm finding it hard to find one. There are Dharma centers within Toronto, but I lack the funds to travel there to continually investigate various centers/teachers. Although I have many books on Tibetan Buddhism, it's very frustrating being deprived of a teacher within a tradition where Gurus are absolutely essential. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
:namaste:


Where exactly are you located? There are many centers throughout Ontario... perhaps one is closer.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
~Arthur Carlson
User avatar
Karma Dorje
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:35 pm

Next

Return to Tibetan Buddhism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aussiebloke, Dan74, Fruitzilla, gentle_monster, rai, Soar, Tanaduk, valdemar, xabir, zenman and 24 guests

>