Lama Dawa Mirror Divination

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Re: Lama Dawa Mirror Divination

Postby Sherab Rigdrol » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:12 am

The reason why Lama Dawa was the person I had in mind was because of the specifics shown in the mirror.

Without getting too personal or detailed. I'm six months unemployed, 30, at the start of the Sade Sati (awful Saturn period in Vedic Astrology). I was looking for the best possible place to settle down, career specifics and the identity of my root guru. It's very difficult to settle down and practice the dharma when the survival instincts are kicking in. Mind you it gives me time to practice and meditate on the basics which my situation brings up, but obviously in order to have a productive practice there has to be some practical stability.

Sorry this is in the Nyingma forum, as it is a general discussion with this post....
Sherab Rigdrol
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: Lama Dawa Mirror Divination

Postby Pema_Nyizer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:44 am

Personally, I would not wait for some kind of "stability" in your environment or inner workings before starting/resuming practice. I confess my advice comes more from doing excatly what you speak of, and each time feeling silly upon restarting and being blown away from the wealth of benefits that near instantly render my rationale simply outragous to myself! haha

After all, your practice could be your solace in these times. When the teachings tell you that by turning your attention, prayers, etc outward to others , and in our tradition to ALL OTHERS (message deserves a couple re-reads from "When the teachings... to here), not only are you benefiting all sentient beings, but this act is hands down a beautiful, remarkable and wholesome way to heal yourself from many of the afflictions that you are describing in your post. You will most likely experience lower stress, discover an increase in mindfulness, recieve blessings, the list goes on and on. Not too mention some useful pride at your accomplishing this!

I think most importantly this could turn out to be a tremendously insightful section of your "up and down" cycles you have been likely having in this lifetime when seen through a more objective, meditation laced you. I can vouch personally as one who was at rock bottom this year who (this time) kicked my practice into high gear instead of burying the head, that there could not possibly have been a better thing for me to do for "myself and those I guard" (a term I have fallen in love with that is found in one of my sadhanas). I can't even tell you all the nasty little secrets for hurting Me (by me) were discovered and laid to rest on this particular bottom feeder run...

The root guru question would be nice to hear from Lama Dowa, however I think you have this one in your toolbox as well. Pray for Him constantly, and I bet you aren't singing to a wall... (keep "eye" peeled) Meanwhile go to any weekly practice/event(s) you can, you never know who might show up.

Thank you for posting about your troubles, that is braver than I, and is helpful to people like me trust me. Many blessings of all kinds, may your troubles end swifty and with great insight, and I will certainly think of you in my prayers.
"Mind is the energy display of awareness." ~The Venerable Khenchen Palden Sherab Rinpoche
User avatar
Pema_Nyizer
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Lama Dawa Mirror Divination

Postby byamspa » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:02 pm

Sherab Rigdrol wrote:The reason why Lama Dawa was the person I had in mind was because of the specifics shown in the mirror.

Without getting too personal or detailed. I'm six months unemployed, 30, at the start of the Sade Sati (awful Saturn period in Vedic Astrology). I was looking for the best possible place to settle down, career specifics and the identity of my root guru. It's very difficult to settle down and practice the dharma when the survival instincts are kicking in. Mind you it gives me time to practice and meditate on the basics which my situation brings up, but obviously in order to have a productive practice there has to be some practical stability.

Sorry this is in the Nyingma forum, as it is a general discussion with this post....


Sorry to hear about your situation! I was laid off 2 weeks ago, but found a position I am starting today right away.

I know this suggestion isn't very sexy, but what helped my mind a LOT after the initial shock was the 21 praises to Green Tara. The other thing is a prayer known as the 'Diamond Verses', which is good for removing obstacles. http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=The_Prayer_to_Guru_Rinpoche_for_Removing_Obstacles_and_Fulfilling_Wishes
Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
User avatar
byamspa
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:13 pm
Location: Waponi Woo

Re: Lama Dawa Mirror Divination

Postby Sherab Rigdrol » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:39 am

Pema_Nyizer wrote:Personally, I would not wait for some kind of "stability" in your environment or inner workings before starting/resuming practice. I confess my advice comes more from doing excatly what you speak of, and each time feeling silly upon restarting and being blown away from the wealth of benefits that near instantly render my rationale simply outragous to myself! haha

After all, your practice could be your solace in these times. When the teachings tell you that by turning your attention, prayers, etc outward to others , and in our tradition to ALL OTHERS (message deserves a couple re-reads from "When the teachings... to here), not only are you benefiting all sentient beings, but this act is hands down a beautiful, remarkable and wholesome way to heal yourself from many of the afflictions that you are describing in your post. You will most likely experience lower stress, discover an increase in mindfulness, recieve blessings, the list goes on and on. Not too mention some useful pride at your accomplishing this!

I think most importantly this could turn out to be a tremendously insightful section of your "up and down" cycles you have been likely having in this lifetime when seen through a more objective, meditation laced you. I can vouch personally as one who was at rock bottom this year who (this time) kicked my practice into high gear instead of burying the head, that there could not possibly have been a better thing for me to do for "myself and those I guard" (a term I have fallen in love with that is found in one of my sadhanas). I can't even tell you all the nasty little secrets for hurting Me (by me) were discovered and laid to rest on this particular bottom feeder run...

The root guru question would be nice to hear from Lama Dowa, however I think you have this one in your toolbox as well. Pray for Him constantly, and I bet you aren't singing to a wall... (keep "eye" peeled) Meanwhile go to any weekly practice/event(s) you can, you never know who might show up.

Thank you for posting about your troubles, that is braver than I, and is helpful to people like me trust me. Many blessings of all kinds, may your troubles end swifty and with great insight, and I will certainly think of you in my prayers.


What else is sangha for? ;) But seriously my practice has deepened tremendously the past six months, and it's mostly been spent cultivating relative bodhicitta. When I mentioned survival/practicality I was talking about the money for travel for retreat/empowerments. Finding the knowledge of the root guru is so that if they live in the US I would most likely live in that city/town.

I enjoy that there are people on here who are not afraid to confess their challenges. To me that's true community, something which is seldom seen in ANY online community. Not to mention the amount of practical wisdom on this site is off the charts. I spent months lurking because for every question I had there was a topic addressing it with clarity and kindness.

byamspa wrote:
Sherab Rigdrol wrote:The reason why Lama Dawa was the person I had in mind was because of the specifics shown in the mirror.

Without getting too personal or detailed. I'm six months unemployed, 30, at the start of the Sade Sati (awful Saturn period in Vedic Astrology). I was looking for the best possible place to settle down, career specifics and the identity of my root guru. It's very difficult to settle down and practice the dharma when the survival instincts are kicking in. Mind you it gives me time to practice and meditate on the basics which my situation brings up, but obviously in order to have a productive practice there has to be some practical stability.

Sorry this is in the Nyingma forum, as it is a general discussion with this post....


Sorry to hear about your situation! I was laid off 2 weeks ago, but found a position I am starting today right away.

I know this suggestion isn't very sexy, but what helped my mind a LOT after the initial shock was the 21 praises to Green Tara. The other thing is a prayer known as the 'Diamond Verses', which is good for removing obstacles. http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=The_Prayer_to_Guru_Rinpoche_for_Removing_Obstacles_and_Fulfilling_Wishes


Very happy for your new job. Thank you for sharing these resources. I have never done 21 praises to Green Tara. When doing the Diamond Verses, do you repeat the prayer more than once in one sitting. Is it more powerful in English or Tibet, or does it not matter as long as one has pure devotion and aspiration?
Sherab Rigdrol
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: Lama Dawa Mirror Divination

Postby Konchog1 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:59 am

Sherab Rigdrol wrote:The reason why Lama Dawa was the person I had in mind was because of the specifics shown in the mirror.

Without getting too personal or detailed. I'm six months unemployed, 30, at the start of the Sade Sati (awful Saturn period in Vedic Astrology). I was looking for the best possible place to settle down, career specifics and the identity of my root guru. It's very difficult to settle down and practice the dharma when the survival instincts are kicking in. Mind you it gives me time to practice and meditate on the basics which my situation brings up, but obviously in order to have a productive practice there has to be some practical stability.

Sorry this is in the Nyingma forum, as it is a general discussion with this post....
Whoever your Root Guru is, he's the same as Padmasambhava. Like water mixed with water. I would think Vajra Guru mantras would help with all your problems.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
User avatar
Konchog1
 
Posts: 1342
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:30 am

Re: Lama Dawa Mirror Divination

Postby Sherab Rigdrol » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:11 am

Could you PM me them? Thanks.

As I'm still very wet under the ears with Vajrayana: Are the mantras, such as the Vajra Guru mantras, already fully charged. I have about 10 years of Hindu/Vedic practices before the dharma, and in those traditions mantras have to be charged by the Guru and unlocked.
Sherab Rigdrol
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: Lama Dawa Mirror Divination

Postby Yeti » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:59 am

One usually does a lineage prayer or supplication before doing mantra. The Seven Line Prayer is the most short and concise. You can recite it as many times as you like.

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Seven_Line_Prayer

http://www.quietmountain.org/links/teachings/7_Line_Prayer_To_Guru_Rinpoche/7lnpryr.htm

http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductExtract.asp?PID=17074

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Vajra_guru_mantra

http://www.rinpoche.com/gurumantra.html

You can recite the http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=The_Prayer_to_Guru_Rinpoche_for_Removing_Obstacles_and_Fulfilling_Wishes as many times as you wish. It is usually concluded with
Orgyen rinpoche la solwa deb
Galkyen barchey mijung zhing
Tünkyen sampa drubpa dang
Chokdang tünmong ngödrub tsöl
Precious master of Uddiyana, I supplicate you;
May obstacles and mishap not arise.
May good conditions be gathered and our wishes fulfilled.
Bestow the supreme and common siddhis.


FYI
http://www.lotsawahouse.org/topics/practices/

And FYI

I began my ngon.dro retreat not really knowing who my root guru was, even though He/it was staring me in the face. I had criteria like he should be able to converse in English etc. I was taught to put all my teachers within the refuge field and see the central figure of GR as embodiment of all of them. As I proceeded through my ngon.dro one lama's presence began to pervade my practice. Sometimes these practices are so amazing they can cut through even those holding dear useless fabrications that can imprison oneself in ones fixed views.

So if you just practice simply, and do your best not to get caught up in phenomena, you may discover your practice clearing ones path. Keep reading lots for inspiration.
"When a Dzogchen Yogi hears Shakyamuni Buddha turning the Wheel of the Dharma of the Four Noble Truths he hears Samathabhadra proclaiming the most profound Dzogpachenpo." - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
Yeti
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:30 pm

Re: Lama Dawa Mirror Divination

Postby Sherab Rigdrol » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:08 am

Wow! Thank you so much Yeti.
Sherab Rigdrol
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:07 pm

Previous

Return to Nyingma

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

>