Christian Fundamentalists Target Tibetans

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
plwk

Christian Fundamentalists Target Tibetans

Post by plwk »

“We were upset,” explains Tenzin. “They had told us we could learn English. We felt like fools.”

“[Missionaries say,] ‘Well, look at the miracles Jesus is able to perform, to turn water into wine and to heal the sick,’”
Elizabeth Reynolds, a Fulbright scholar researching Tibetan culture in Xining, explains.
“The Tibetan goes: ‘Is that all he can do?’ It’s believed that such special phenomena [already] occur around high lamas.”

To combat such indifference, radical Christians in the past have employed tactics such as tract bombing — undercover distribution of thousands of leaflets in Buddhist areas. In one blog, published in 2006, a young zealot gives a blow-by-blow account of tract bombing among Tibet’s “satanic” monasteries.
After his mission is complete, he observes: “Man how blinded these people are.”

More here
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Re: Christian Fundamentalists Target Tibetans

Post by Wayfarer »

Considering the problems that the Tibetans face with the CCP, I don't see how this can really amount to much of a problem. What are the fundamentalists able to do, other than preach?

You know in the 18th Century a Jesuit priest named Fr Desideri reached Lhasa. He was given a lot of hospitality and allowed to proselytize as well as do his research activities. He learned Tibetan and debated the Lamas, and wrote a very insightful analysis of the teaching of Śūnyatā. Whilst he was opposed to some Buddhist doctrines, he accepted some aspects of their teaching and overall was treated with great civility. There is a Wikipedia account here.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
steveb1

Post by steveb1 »

Showing my prejudice here, but I think Christian fundamentalist missionaries are the worst of the worst. They invade a community and proceed to tell the natives that their spiritual traditions are false, satanic, and that to go on following those venerable ways will land the natives in Hell. Not a nice thing to be doing.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

However, Christian fundamentalists are not usually involved in suicide bombings, hijackings, or other terrorists acts.

I also can't think of any Christian Fundamentalist one-party states or authoritarian governments.

I don't agree with Christian fundamentalism but I think that in nearly all cases it can safely be ignored.
BuddhaSoup

Post by BuddhaSoup »

jeeprs wrote:However, Christian fundamentalists are not usually involved in suicide bombings, hijackings, or other terrorists acts.

I also can't think of any Christian Fundamentalist one-party states or authoritarian governments.

I don't agree with Christian fundamentalism but I think that in nearly all cases it can safely be ignored.
http://youtu.be/sAn7baRbhx4
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

steveb1 wrote:Showing my prejudice here, but I think Christian fundamentalist missionaries are the worst of the worst. They invade a community and proceed to tell the natives that their spiritual traditions are false, satanic, and that to go on following those venerable ways will land the natives in Hell. Not a nice thing to be doing.
Other people invade a community and kill the natives - selectively or indiscriminately, raping and mutilation optional.
:toilet:

Seriously, this topic is going to achieve absolutely nothing for anyone involved in the situation and is almost certain to lead to the (further) demonising of people who may be misguided but are sincerely trying to do the best they can for folk they think need help.
Can we stop before it degenerates further?

:namaste:
Kim
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Agree

:good:
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

There is a circle of hell for Christian fundamentalists who have to be tied up while having their feet tickled by HHDL for all eternity.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:There is a circle of hell for Christian fundamentalists who have to be tied up while having their feet tickled by HHDL for all eternity.
:popcorn:
Not bad ... but if you want a really great riff on the Christian hell, try book 4 in Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, Season of Mists, in which Satan closes down hell and God is eventually forced to appoint a couple of angels to re-open it.
:reading:

:namaste:
Kim
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Yes! Love Sandman ...
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

steveb1 wrote:Showing my prejudice here, but I think Christian fundamentalist missionaries are the worst of the worst. They invade a community and proceed to tell the natives that their spiritual traditions are false, satanic, and that to go on following those venerable ways will land the natives in Hell. Not a nice thing to be doing.
Say whatever you want against Christian missionaries, but the fact is, with garlic, chilis, and a pinch of fenugreek, they are most delicious. The problem is in finding a large enough pot. So, I disagree. When it comes to missionaries, give me a nice plump Jesuit every time. :tongue:
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
corrine

Post by corrine »

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

corrine

Return to “Lounge”