Christian Fundamentalists Target Tibetans

Anything goes (almost).

Christian Fundamentalists Target Tibetans

Postby plwk » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:56 am

“We were upset,” explains Tenzin. “They had told us we could learn English. We felt like fools.”

“[Missionaries say,] ‘Well, look at the miracles Jesus is able to perform, to turn water into wine and to heal the sick,’”
Elizabeth Reynolds, a Fulbright scholar researching Tibetan culture in Xining, explains.
“The Tibetan goes: ‘Is that all he can do?’ It’s believed that such special phenomena [already] occur around high lamas.”

To combat such indifference, radical Christians in the past have employed tactics such as tract bombing — undercover distribution of thousands of leaflets in Buddhist areas. In one blog, published in 2006, a young zealot gives a blow-by-blow account of tract bombing among Tibet’s “satanic” monasteries.
After his mission is complete, he observes: “Man how blinded these people are.”

More here
plwk

Re: Christian Fundamentalists Target Tibetans

Postby Wayfarer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:21 am

Considering the problems that the Tibetans face with the CCP, I don't see how this can really amount to much of a problem. What are the fundamentalists able to do, other than preach?

You know in the 18th Century a Jesuit priest named Fr Desideri reached Lhasa. He was given a lot of hospitality and allowed to proselytize as well as do his research activities. He learned Tibetan and debated the Lamas, and wrote a very insightful analysis of the teaching of Śūnyatā. Whilst he was opposed to some Buddhist doctrines, he accepted some aspects of their teaching and overall was treated with great civility. There is a Wikipedia account here.
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas
Wayfarer

Postby steveb1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:47 pm

Showing my prejudice here, but I think Christian fundamentalist missionaries are the worst of the worst. They invade a community and proceed to tell the natives that their spiritual traditions are false, satanic, and that to go on following those venerable ways will land the natives in Hell. Not a nice thing to be doing.
steveb1

Postby Wayfarer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:40 am

However, Christian fundamentalists are not usually involved in suicide bombings, hijackings, or other terrorists acts.

I also can't think of any Christian Fundamentalist one-party states or authoritarian governments.

I don't agree with Christian fundamentalism but I think that in nearly all cases it can safely be ignored.
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas
Wayfarer

Postby BuddhaSoup » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:09 am

jeeprs wrote:However, Christian fundamentalists are not usually involved in suicide bombings, hijackings, or other terrorists acts.

I also can't think of any Christian Fundamentalist one-party states or authoritarian governments.

I don't agree with Christian fundamentalism but I think that in nearly all cases it can safely be ignored.

http://youtu.be/sAn7baRbhx4
BuddhaSoup

Postby Kim O'Hara » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:23 am

steveb1 wrote:Showing my prejudice here, but I think Christian fundamentalist missionaries are the worst of the worst. They invade a community and proceed to tell the natives that their spiritual traditions are false, satanic, and that to go on following those venerable ways will land the natives in Hell. Not a nice thing to be doing.

Other people invade a community and kill the natives - selectively or indiscriminately, raping and mutilation optional.
:toilet:

Seriously, this topic is going to achieve absolutely nothing for anyone involved in the situation and is almost certain to lead to the (further) demonising of people who may be misguided but are sincerely trying to do the best they can for folk they think need help.
Can we stop before it degenerates further?

:namaste:
Kim
Kim O'Hara
Global Moderator

Postby Wayfarer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:05 am

Agree

:good:
Wayfarer

Postby Karma Dondrup Tashi » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:33 am

There is a circle of hell for Christian fundamentalists who have to be tied up while having their feet tickled by HHDL for all eternity.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Postby Kim O'Hara » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:14 am

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:There is a circle of hell for Christian fundamentalists who have to be tied up while having their feet tickled by HHDL for all eternity.

:popcorn:
Not bad ... but if you want a really great riff on the Christian hell, try book 4 in Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, Season of Mists, in which Satan closes down hell and God is eventually forced to appoint a couple of angels to re-open it.
:reading:

:namaste:
Kim
Kim O'Hara
Global Moderator

Postby Karma Dondrup Tashi » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:05 pm

Yes! Love Sandman ...
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:20 pm

steveb1 wrote:Showing my prejudice here, but I think Christian fundamentalist missionaries are the worst of the worst. They invade a community and proceed to tell the natives that their spiritual traditions are false, satanic, and that to go on following those venerable ways will land the natives in Hell. Not a nice thing to be doing.

Say whatever you want against Christian missionaries, but the fact is, with garlic, chilis, and a pinch of fenugreek, they are most delicious. The problem is in finding a large enough pot. So, I disagree. When it comes to missionaries, give me a nice plump Jesuit every time. :tongue:
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Postby corrine » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:14 pm

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

corrine
corrine

Return to Lounge