YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

being mindful - Dhamma Wheel

being mindful

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
narvillives

being mindful

Postby narvillives » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:52 am

Hope this is the right place while not a question specifically about meditation per se, i did not know if it belonged in any of the other forums, but here goes. I having read about Buddhism quite a bit and started a meditation practice do seem to be more focused and mindful. At work i am generally alone washing dishes for 14+ hours a week, a co-worker pointed out this would be a good time to use for cultivating mindfulness. My question would be how? Is there an appropriate system to use to practice mindfulness more fully while doing simple repetitive tasks, any direct advice or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mikenz66

Re: being mindful

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:12 am

Welcome narvillives,

Here are some links on integrating meditation into daily life:

http://buddhanet.net/imol/wrkshp.htm
Specific page: http://buddhanet.net/xmed8.htm

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html
Specific Chapter: http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe15.html

As pointed out in those links, it's not an easy thing to start with. It's probably better to get started with sitting/walking under controlled circumstances first.

However, washing dishes is a fairly repetitive activity, with few distractions, and if you are doing it alone it should not be too hard to do it mindfully.

:anjali:
Mike

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:35 am

Greetings,

See also:

MN 10: Satipatthana Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

:meditate:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

kirk5a

Postby kirk5a » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:25 am

Don't confuse yourself with a "system." When washing the dishes, just wash the dishes.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

santa100

Postby santa100 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:46 pm

If distracting thoughts arise during work, a point of focus would help. Different schools use different points of focus. A good one is mindfulness of in-and-out breaths by focusing on your nostrils, feeling the breaths coming in and out. Another good one from the PureLand school is to keep reciting the phrase "Namo Amitabha". Give these a try and pick the one that works for you. Good luck..

David2

Postby David2 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:18 pm

chownah

Postby chownah » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:51 am

narvillives,
I think your co-worker is exactly correct and doing dishes is a perfect time to engage in mindfulness. My opinion is that being mindful is something like a skill that has to be developed....for most people being mindful while sitting is much easier than being mindful while standing and being mindful while standing is easier than being mindful while moving the limbs......so.......work on mindfulness while sitting and this should help you get established in mindfulness while doing dishes.......keep working on mindfulness while washing dishes as even that by itself will give benefit but in my opinion supplementing this with mindfulness while sitting will accelerate the process by a large amount.
chownah

DarwidHalim

Postby DarwidHalim » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:01 am

I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!

David2

Postby David2 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:06 am

DarwidHalim

Postby DarwidHalim » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:11 am

I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!

fijiNut

Postby fijiNut » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:52 am

Thich Nhat Hanh gives some solid advice about washing dishes and being mindful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aubF7v-MlMM

(starting from 3mins)
"When I was a novice washing dishes for the monk.. I did not have running water, hot water, soap. And I had to wash the dishes for 100 monks, we used coconut fibre and ash. If you know how to breathe and smile, washing dishes can be a wonderful thing.."

1) Follow in breath and out breath
2) Be mindful of your actions
3) Smile

:smile:

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”