YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

How to make it? - Dhamma Wheel

How to make it?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
DarwidHalim

How to make it?

Postby DarwidHalim » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:18 pm

Dear Members,

During Buddha's time, there is a story a man achieve arhat state simply by mopping the floor.

How to achieve Enlightenment through playing video games?
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!

daverupa

Re: How to make it?

Postby daverupa » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:22 pm

DarwidHalim

Postby DarwidHalim » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:31 pm

Have you heard an Arahant named Culaphantaka?
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!

Zom

Postby Zom » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:13 pm

I suppose this story is post-canonical, let's say, just a myth.
It is said, that he was a dumb.
But in canon there is a sutta, where Buddha says, that it is impossible, that a dumb could reach arahantship. Direct controversy.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:25 pm

It would be impossible to gain any insight while playing video games, I would say. Enlightenment entails the relinquishment of attachment and delusion, both of which are running at full speed when playing games.

was not able to learn even one verse of the scriptures. The Buddha realised his potential for Arahantship and gave him a piece of white cloth to rub, while reciting "Rajoharanam" = "removing the dirt."

While rubbing the cloth with his hands, the white cloth become soiled, and Cūlapanthaka Thera gained the perception of the repulsiveness of his own body, which was excreting dirt. Based on this perception, he gained insight leading to Arahantship. Simultaneously with the attainment of Arahantship, he gained psychic powers.

The best policy is: "Work when you work; play when you play." If you're not ready to relinquish sensual pleasures yet, then play games from time to time, mindful of the fact that it is deluded behaviour. Likewise with watching movies, etc. It is not the path to nibbāna.

When you're tired of suffering, give up such entertainments and do some serious meditation work while observing the eight precepts, which should be regarded as the basic requirement for a meditation retreat.
• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:36 pm

chownah

Postby chownah » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:36 am

santa100

Postby santa100 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:07 am

Thank you Bhante for the great link (http://www.aimwell.org/DPPN/cuula_panthaka_th.htm ). From the story:
"As Cūlapanthaka carried out these orders he noticed that the cloth became dirty, and as he concentrated his mind on the impermanence of all things, the Buddha sent a ray of light and exhorted him about the necessity of getting rid of the impurities of lust and other evils..."

So, theoretically speaking, any video game that helps concentrating the mind on impermanence of all things, or the necessity of getting rid of impurities, would work just fine. I've tried Doom, Quake, Age of Empires, Tekken, Street Fighter, etc...but none so far been able to give rise to those kind of insights though... :tongue:

Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:10 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”