Buddhism and alcoholism/addiction

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Buddhism and alcoholism/addiction

Postby jungblood » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:36 pm

Hello friends,

Im a member of a 12-Step sangha in New York... Just wondering if there are any other recovering alcoholics or addicts (or indeed recovering anything elses!) here.. I would love to hear the experience of others in how the dharma integrates into recovery from addictions... Thanks folks... I hope you are all we....

hugs,
jungblood
jungblood

Re: Buddhism and alcoholism/addiction

Postby muni » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:16 am

Ups and downs of seeking "pleasure"............ and lasting peace, which is always available but hidden through our habitual temporary grasping, seeking to some outer happiness.
By Dharma practices, lasting peace can be revealed, bit by bit or without enforced great expectations. All depending.

Oh yes, there is a saying which goes like this:

When you drink no beer, your heart hurts.
When you drink beer, your head hurts.

Dharma helps for both. :smile: Good luck! :namaste:
muni

Postby Konchog1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:25 am

I've heard good things about the Twelve Step program, but how do you as a Buddhist practice step 3 (higher power)? How do the other Buddhists practice it?
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Konchog1

Postby shaunc » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:23 am

Alcoholism has been a big problem for me & I sobered up in 1988 (25 years ago). The 12 step program was very influential in my recovery & I still go to a meeting once a month or so. The higher power is a big part of the program. For me as a buddhist the triple gem is my higher power, however I see no reason various buddhas & boddhisatvas could not be used, Amitabha & kuan Yin immediately come to mind. For a lot of buddhists the higher power is a huge stumbling block in the 12 step program, but when I simplified everything I saw that the law of cause & effect (karma) was a much higher power than me & I found that I could apply it directly to my problem. I feel that some buddhists with addiction problems use the higher power & god emphasis as a cop out.
shaunc

Postby ball-of-string » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:16 pm

I like www.smartrecovery.org
They place an emphasis on taking responsibility for behavior, and understanding how the mind uses delusions to coerce addictive behaviors. It is very compatible with Buddhism...
ball-of-string

Return to Open Dharma