Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Nightmares
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:47 am
Posts: 27
When I started practicing more consistantly my dreams became more vivid, I remembered more of them upon awakening, and while they were not all bad, there was a higher number of bad ones than I typically have (and they weren't my typical anxiety dreams either). I've been in the process of moving and that has completely disrupted my usual routine, so I've been rather lax over the past couple of weeks about nembutsu. My dreams have also returned to normal. It will be interesting to see what happens when I get back into the swing of things again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nightmares
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:28 pm
Posts: 700
Blacktea, these days my recitations are not so many (lots of work, I am also very tired) and I think my sleep is not so good. I realised that when i do more nembutsu, I may have better sleep, altought I may also have bad dreams as you.

I also think that doing somes "pauses" from practice can be good for me, because buddhism makes me think a lot about life and death, and sometimes that can be depressing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nightmares
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:07 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Posts: 4612
Location: Baltimore, MD
Nighthawk wrote:
If you don't mind sharing, what was the purification mantra you were taught?


It was the mantra of Vajrasattva, the Buddha of Purification in Tibetan Buddhism. It has 100 syllables and can be complex. The short version is OM VAJRASATTVA HUNG.

Kirt

_________________
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nightmares
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:04 am
Posts: 827
Nosta wrote:
I really advise you to read the ebook from the link I gave on my last post, if nightmares, bad visions and bad signs are something regular on your practice.

You will understand that they are just the reflex of bad karma - probably from previous lives - and also that they are just samsaras. Ignore the bad omens that you may find on your practice. Focus on what you have to do: nembutsu. Sensations are just sensations, be it good or bad, and a vision wont be a threat.

But if the bad visions you have are not during your practice, but while dreaming, it seems that you need much more practice. Who knows, only within years your bad dreams may stop. There are many factors here: heavy/bad karma from previous lives will affect your dreams, but also your current personality, your brain structure itself, what you do during the day, what you eat before sleep, etc. Finding the solution is hard.

I have bad dreams many times too and since young I have lots of trouble sleeping. There are some things that may help. One of them is physical exercise. I dont have a lot of time to do it (as a teacher, I must prepare classes for the next day when at home (at evening/night) and be in the school during the day, so I dont have any time for exercises, but when I do it, I will feel a LOT better and sleep much more.

I am to much of a thinker guy in a "thinking" job (I mean, a lot of bureaucracy & lot of stress dealing with classes), so the exercise is very important to me. Try that, it may help you too.

I read the link you provided but the teacher describes one experiencing evil hell realms. I don't I've ever experienced such a thing in my nightmares. I believe my nightmares are more related to my bad thoughts, deeds, and memories in this present life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nightmares
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:04 am
Posts: 827
black_tea wrote:
When I started practicing more consistantly my dreams became more vivid, I remembered more of them upon awakening, and while they were not all bad, there was a higher number of bad ones than I typically have (and they weren't my typical anxiety dreams either). I've been in the process of moving and that has completely disrupted my usual routine, so I've been rather lax over the past couple of weeks about nembutsu. My dreams have also returned to normal. It will be interesting to see what happens when I get back into the swing of things again.

black_tea, when did you start your nembutsu practice?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nightmares
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:47 am
Posts: 27
Nighthawk wrote:
black_tea, when did you start your nembutsu practice?


I really got more serious about it back in December -- started by silently reciting on the shuttle bus to and from work, and at other points in the day. Then in January began getting up early so that no matter what I would be sure to practice everyday. I think that's about the time I started having weird dreams including some icky nightmare type stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nightmares
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:04 am
Posts: 827
black_tea wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:
black_tea, when did you start your nembutsu practice?


I really got more serious about it back in December -- started by silently reciting on the shuttle bus to and from work, and at other points in the day. Then in January began getting up early so that no matter what I would be sure to practice everyday. I think that's about the time I started having weird dreams including some icky nightmare type stuff.

Keep it up and don't let up!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nightmares
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 12:15 am
Posts: 3
MattyNottwo wrote:
I think the nembutsu could be clearing out all the garbage. I read an article recently that said Buddhism is "not for happiness." It said something like, if all your garbage isn't coming out, then it will never be removed and transformed. Just my opinion anyway. I was so happy when I started practicing and then recently it was like every neurotic thing from my life I could imagine was coming up, and I felt I was doing something wrong because so many spiritual people are so "happy go lucky." But, I think it is too easy that way. Anyway, I could be wrong.


Something I read last night in Heart of The Shin Buddhist Path seems somewhat relevant to this topic: "I am able to know the dark shadow of my karmic evil only when I am immersed in the light of the Buddha's wisdom. And, significantly, in the dark depths of my ego-self, I encounter the light of wisdom for the first time." Suggesting perhaps that we can't experience wisdom without first fully knowing our negative side?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nightmares
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:38 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:53 am
Posts: 1468
From a completely different point of view:...

Dreams, whether nightmares or not, are the minds way of working out what's going on in your life. Nightmares tend to represent your fears (fear of loss, suffering, heart ache, phobias etc) so it might pay to look at your mindset during the whole day, even the week, rather than just the last thing you do before bedtime. I chant 108 nembutsu before bed and never had nightmares because of it.

It may also be worth noting, that just because we can't remember dreaming or having a nightmare, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It may be, because you are focusing your mind just before you go to sleep you are able to remember and be more aware of your dreams.

Gassho,
Seishin

_________________
http://tendaiuk.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nightmares
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:04 am
Posts: 827
Seishin wrote:
From a completely different point of view:...

Dreams, whether nightmares or not, are the minds way of working out what's going on in your life. Nightmares tend to represent your fears (fear of loss, suffering, heart ache, phobias etc) so it might pay to look at your mindset during the whole day, even the week, rather than just the last thing you do before bedtime. I chant 108 nembutsu before bed and never had nightmares because of it.

It may also be worth noting, that just because we can't remember dreaming or having a nightmare, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It may be, because you are focusing your mind just before you go to sleep you are able to remember and be more aware of your dreams.

Gassho,
Seishin

Seems like a more logical explanation.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LastLegend and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group