Is it possible to get a religious vaccine exemption?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Thrasymachus

Re: Is it possible to get a religious vaccine exemption?

Postby Thrasymachus » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:43 am

@ball-of-string:
Try to find out your employers vaccination policy if they have one. According to one I listened to, Alan Phillips stated that even most hospitals don't have one and that most often even when they actually have one it is in contravention to individual Constitutional and other legal rights, since they are ignorant of such matters! So it is not easy and it can often turn into a one person vs a behemoth organization, one-sided struggle. That is why I am so worried and anxious, finally I get a chance at a living wage, and it might dissipate for appearing difficult simply because I want control over what goes into my own body.

I found who is based in New York. Sadly going the free route without a lawyer, does not seem like it has large chances of success, indeed it could lead to you losing your job or a prospective one. For example, if I didn't use due diligence I would have tried to research the ingredients and adverse effects of whatever is in the montaux test and convince the administering nurse or doctor it was a bad policy that I refuse, which is almost a recipe for failure. Rather from what I understand, the best chance is to use your constitutional right to freedom of religion and to make your employer realize they cannot dictate that.

Dan74
Founding Member

Postby Dan74 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:39 am

My wife and I both had the Mantoux TB test. Our three children were vaccinated multiple times - it's quite strict here in Australia. We are a very healthy family so far.

Thanks to vaccines polio cases have been reduced from hundreds of thousands to under a thousand per year and small-pox completely eradicated. Yes, there are people who react badly to vaccine, a very small minority.

Interesting that you said you did house painting which involved breathing significant amounts of toxic chemicals but a trace amount of mercury worries you. Am I missing something?

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:33 am

A clear case of the devil finding work for idle hands. ;) Conspiracy theorising is definitely an idle middle class phenomenon. When you are rich you are too busy making more money or enjoying yourself, when you are poor you are too busy trying to make money and feeling sorry for yourself.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Thrasymachus

Postby Thrasymachus » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:58 am

DGA
Former staff member

Postby DGA » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:19 am

Lhug-Pa

Postby Lhug-Pa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:19 am

Jikan, here's a link I posted in reply to you in another thread (perhaps you didn't see it because I'd edited into my post after you'd already replied):

http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/

http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/about/

Don't know if it's non-'conspiratorial fringe' enough.... It is worth a read in any case.

And I'd imagine that there aren't a whole lot of peer-reviewed journals with articles about the dangers of vaccines, considering that most doctors who contribute to peer-reviewed journals are most likely on big-pharma's payroll. There are some peer-reviewed journals on the dangers of vaccines out there if you look.

Thrasymschus, if I were more familiar with the tests you're asking about here, I would share what I'd learned.
This probably isn't the best forum to ask about these things, seeing that many of the views commonly found here are pretty conventional/mainstream, despite it being a Buddhist forum. Many of the views expressed here related to how contemporary society 'functions' are what I would expect to see on either a atheist-skeptics forum or a conventional-Christian forum.

Instead of intelligent discussion around here, we often get knee-jerk-reaction words like "paranoia", "conspiracy", "tinfoil hat", "new age", etc.; known to some as "slide-words" i.e. words that are used in a such a manner meant to stop people from questioning. One doesn't have to be paranoid to see that society is headed for even more extreme failure if things don't change soon (for example B. Obama obviously didn't bring the promised "Change"; we only got even more warmongering, more corporatism, and less civil liberties. I didn't think any administration could outdo the Neocon Bush administration when it comes to corruption; looks like I was incorrect there).

Not only is this samsara, but it is also the Kali Yuga; and it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone—considering how approximately 1% of the population controls approximately 90% of the world's financial wealth—that there are small groups of people conspiring to do whatever it takes to stay in 'control'.

Bottom line: Unless it's absolutely necessary to not avoid them; avoid GMO's, vaccines, fluoride, synthetic-chemical pesticides & pharmaceuticals, etc., don't support—whether republican or democrat—warmongering politicians (which is almost every single one of them these days, at least in the U.S.), and try to find a completely honest livelihood (i.e. one that doesn't support any of the above-mentioned negativities) if possible. I know that with most jobs nowadays we have to compromise just to get by, so take what you can get at least temporarily (until that non corporatist organic-farming-for-a-living-wage career becomes available), and just do your best, practice Dharma, and don't worry about it.

And also don't go up in Buddhist forums and try to make people who question things out as "conspiracy nuts", etc. Some people work to expose corruption not out of having too much time on their hands, but out of compassion for those who are ignorant about what's going on. Yes, Dharma practice is the best way to eliminate ignorance. And I also applaud those expose the 1% liars currently in 'power', that is the 1% who wants to keep the wars & corporatocracy going.

Contemporary doctors may have something to offer (besides toxic vaccines & synthetic-chemical pharmaceuticals), however as practitioners of Buddha Dharma, we should promote time-tested traditional methods like Ayurveda and Tibetan Medicine more.

P.S.

Like I've mentioned before, vaccines might come in handy in some very rare circumstances; and I would even be willing to give them a little more of a chance if they weren't totally .

Lhug-Pa

Postby Lhug-Pa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:28 am

Thrasymachus

Postby Thrasymachus » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:54 am

Last edited by Thrasymachus on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:47 am, edited 5 times in total.

Lhug-Pa

Postby Lhug-Pa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:56 am

LastLegend

Postby LastLegend » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:45 pm

It's hard not to ingest poison these days of age unless you grow your own food.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)

Bodhidharma [my translation]
―I come to the East to transmit this clear knowing mind without constructing any dharma―

Dan74
Founding Member

Postby Dan74 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:14 pm

Lhug-Pa

Postby Lhug-Pa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:39 pm

greentara

Postby greentara » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:32 pm

No one has mentioned Telomeres, they have been compared with the plastic tips on shoelaces because they prevent chromosome ends from fraying and sticking to each other, which would scramble an organism's genetic information to cause disease or death.
Some elderly people can smoke, drink and eat large amounts of refined food with apparently no ill affects. One could conclude that their telomeres have not frayed.

Lhug-Pa

Postby Lhug-Pa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:14 pm

Simon E.

Postby Simon E. » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:50 am

Folks, next Fall DO get your flu shot. :thumbsup:
" My heart's in the Highlands
my heart is not here.
My heart's in the Highlands
chasing the deer."

Robert V.C. Burns.

krodha

Postby krodha » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:29 pm

I haven't had a flu shot in probably 20+ years (I'm 30) and I can't remember the last time I had the flu, probably when I was very young. My son is now 4 and he's never had a flu shot either, and no flu. It's unnecessary in my opinion.

Dan74
Founding Member

Postby Dan74 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:18 am

Fu Ri Shin

Postby Fu Ri Shin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:48 am

"Once delusion is extinguished, your wisdom naturally arises and you don’t differentiate suffering and joy. Actually, this joy and this suffering, they are the same."

— Chinese hermit, Amongst White Clouds

Dan74
Founding Member

Postby Dan74 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:10 am

Fu Ri Shin

Postby Fu Ri Shin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:19 am

"Once delusion is extinguished, your wisdom naturally arises and you don’t differentiate suffering and joy. Actually, this joy and this suffering, they are the same."

— Chinese hermit, Amongst White Clouds

Return to “Lounge”