Secular Buddhism

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Joseph89

Secular Buddhism

Postby Joseph89 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:30 am

Hi,
New to this forum and relatively new to buddhism. I am primarily interested in secular Buddhism, i.e., a view ( of life, the universe, everything) without religious, or metaphysical elements. Secular Buddhism seems to be an important topic in the west currently, with great interest being directed towards developing a doctrine of secular Buddhism (eg, Stephen Bachelor). However, so far my very limited reading of the Theravada literature suggests that the Theravada view may in fact embody a secular Buddhist view already. Specifically, if my readings are correct, there is a subsection within Theravada that views Karma and rebirth to be phenomenon that exist within one life-time. That is, whereas the standard view is that Karma has it's effects over past life times, current life times, and future life times, the view that I am interested in sees the "before, curent and after" relating to a person's current life time only.

If such a Theravadin view exists then this is fantastic, as it would amount to the secular Buddhism that many in the western world currently want.

So, to my questions (if someone may please feel the wish to respond): 1) is such a secular Buddhism possible within the Theravada tradition, and if so 2) can you direct me to any Sutta's or general Buddhist literature that support such a secular Buddhist view?

Thank you very much.

Joseph.

cooran

Re: Secular Bubbhism

Postby cooran » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:34 am

Hello Joseph,

Welcome! :group:

The Buddha taught about ''things as they really are''.
Please feel free to start a topic in the appropriate sub-forum for discussion - possible the Dhamma-Free-For-All sub-forum.

Hope you enjoy the discussions here.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Joseph89

Postby Joseph89 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:42 am

Thanks for the welcome Cooran. I'll take up your suggestion and post in the free-for-all section. I hope I don't attract too much bad Karma for spelling Buddhism wrongly.

Cheers,
Joseph.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:43 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Joseph89

Postby Joseph89 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:49 am

Thanks for the welcome Retro, I'll check out the link.

Cheers,
Joseph.

cooran

Re: Secular Buddhism

Postby cooran » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:50 am

Hello Joseph,

Subject spelling corrected. :tongue:

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Kare

Postby Kare » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:09 am

Mettāya,
Kåre

Joseph89

Postby Joseph89 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks Chris, you've probably saved me heaps of re-births!, but a little bit more seriously in terms of my replies, thanks Kare, as I'm beginning to feel that Theravadism is the right place for me. By the way I just spotted "the great rebirth debate" with 1515 replies. I've got some reading ahead of me.

Cheers,
Joseph.

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:59 am

Welcome Joseph!
If you are intending to read the great rebirth thread you can just read the first and last pages. Reading the 90+ pages is a hell realm!
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Joseph89

Postby Joseph89 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:04 am

Thanks for the advice Ben, as I really can't see myself going through a 1000+ entries.

Cheers,
Joseph.

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:03 pm

Hello Joseph...the " One Lifetime Model " is ceratinly alive and well in the Theravada...however I am not sure that the term " secular" adds much to the debate...I think that may be a concept which is a product of western thinking...There may be an alternative to both magical thinking and to secularism..
Anyway I look forward to your posts.

Nicro

Postby Nicro » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:25 pm

Ooohhh man.

Return to “Introductions”