Tulpas

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
sahaja

Tulpas

Postby sahaja » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:59 pm

Anybody ever built a tulpa? Either as a part of or extension of dream yoga or for any other reason for that matter.

Dronma

Re: Tulpas

Postby Dronma » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:01 am

The purpose for practising Dream Yoga is NOT at all to create tulpas and such things.... :coffee:
"My view is as vast as the sky, but my actions are finer than flour"
~ Padmasambhava ~

Pero

Postby Pero » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:11 am

What's a tulpa?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

Lingpupa

Postby Lingpupa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:25 am

Yes, if you wondered what a tulpa is and why we should be interested, see Lobsang Rampa. (Look, I was a young teenager when I read it, OK?)
All the best
Alex Wilding
"Kathmandu report" at
Blog struggling for rebirth at
Benchen and Back digital edition still on Amazon - see

kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:06 pm

A tulpa is a mentally created kind of emanation body that in the best cases looks and reacts just like a real person. However Alexandra David-Neel claimed that she had created a tulpa in one of her books - when I read that I put the book down in the bookstore and didn't buy it. She claims were impossible (from memory - the tulpa was seen by others and became difficult to control) but maybe see experienced a kind of extended vision from her ill-advised efforts.

Kirt

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Adamantine » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:44 pm

Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha

kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:55 pm

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Dronma

Postby Dronma » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:06 pm

Generally, I agree with what Kirtu is saying here. :thumbsup:
Evans-Wentz, Alexandra David-Néel and a few other pioneers, who re-discovered Tibetan Buddhism in the beginning of the last century, had made a lot of serious misinterpretations.
This can be easily seen by everybody who reads their books today, and he/she has received some good knowledge through real teachings.
However, I cannot see how the notion of "tulpa" is related with Dzogchen, and why the OP has posted this question here..... :shrug:
First of all, Dzogchen is for going beyond all duality!
Tulpa is exactly the opposite. It can be done after many-many years of intense practice, and it can easily imprison the creator in deep dualistic view. Because, instead of doing practice for discovering and establishing his/her real nature, he'll spend all his life for creating "though/form entities" for reasons that are totally unclear to me.
What is the benefit if at the end of my life, my last words will be: "I am here dying, and in front of me is my tulpa"..... :rolling:
"My view is as vast as the sky, but my actions are finer than flour"
~ Padmasambhava ~

krodha

Postby krodha » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:22 am

Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Adamantine » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:53 am

Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha

krodha

Postby krodha » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:18 am

dakini_boi

Postby dakini_boi » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:01 am

If you're going to go through that much trouble, why not just generate a Yidam?

sahaja

Postby sahaja » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:47 am

krodha

Postby krodha » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:34 am

Andrew108

Postby Andrew108 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:12 am

The Tulpa phenomenon has no real basis. It's a fantasy. If thought forms manifested physically then there wouldn't be any schizophrenics because we would be able to see who they were talking to.
Also Sahaja, Dzogchen isn't about building up insight. It's more about self-existant wisdom. One aspect of this wisdom is the effortless self-liberation of phenomena. Phenomena self-liberate themselves. It's good to have confidence in this.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.

Namgyal

Postby Namgyal » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:34 pm

florin

Postby florin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:08 pm

"Bow down to me for I thirst for an infinite ocean of blood, since the innumerable torrents of floods at kalpa's end that terrify all world systems do not even wet the tip of my tongue"

Karma Dondrup Tashi

Postby Karma Dondrup Tashi » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:07 pm

The emanation of a tulpa is hardly a controversial idea. Chenrezig has as many arms as necessary to help all sentient beings.

The question is - of what use would this sort of thing be to a person without the guidance of a tantric guru?

I suggest anyone interested in the answer to such a question should google the words "egregore" and "schizophrenia".

Western occultism is littered with charlatans and victims of ego inflation.

Karma Dondrup Tashi

Postby Karma Dondrup Tashi » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:15 pm

krodha

Postby krodha » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:42 pm

Well my apologies for feeding the fire on this thread. Just for the record I'm in no way advocating for tulpa phenomena being a valid aspect of buddhism or dzogchen, and support whatever anyone wants to do with this thread :smile:

Return to “Lounge”