YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Don't just sit there, LEVITATE! - Dhamma Wheel

Don't just sit there, LEVITATE!

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Ben

Don't just sit there, LEVITATE!

Postby Ben » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:36 am

I thought some might find the following video of interest...

Enjoy!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Kim OHara

Re: Don't just sit there, LEVITATE!

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:42 am

:twothumbsup:
Kim

David2

Postby David2 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:37 am

Beautiful. :thumbsup:
Also see this:

The transportation technology of the future?
Maybe, but I guess it only works with small weights.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:45 am

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

David2

Postby David2 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:50 am

Fede

Postby Fede » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:31 am

Trivia.

I rise above such matters..... :meditate:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:33 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:36 am

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:48 am

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:50 am

You seem to be making light of the situation, bhante.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:53 am

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:08 am

Mawkish1983

Postby Mawkish1983 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:56 am

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:11 pm

I sent the OP link to a young relative (relatively young :tongue: anyway - mid-twenties) working in quantum physics and he sent me this link by way of explanation. Add it to Mike's links if you like.
He sent me a completely unrelated but equally cool tech story at the same time:

:namaste:
Kim

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:39 pm

Hi Mike, Keith and Kim,

Thanks very much! I'll review those files later. Keith, I very much look forward to your contribution on the topic - if and when you have time.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Fede

Postby Fede » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:45 am

"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/

Pondera

Postby Pondera » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:18 pm

I'll field this one. If you've ever tried to press two negative or two positive poles of a magnet together you should know that they oppose each other in the most sporadic of ways. In other words, they resist contact and also tend to fly off from each other. Mag Lev simply uses this property in such a way that the repulsion effect is obtained without the problem of the two magnets to fly away. For example, in Mag Lev, the magnetic rails simply won't budge because they're nailed down. And the train itself won't budge because the gravitational force properly attains equilibrium with the sporadic tendency for the two magnets to fly away. No cooling effects needed in this case. Only properly balanced weights and magnetic strengths with well designed mechanical constraints.

The other effect is different. It's a property of the superconductor. I read all this on Wiki, so I don't know what I'm talking about. But I can take a stab at it.

The thing you see hovering above the magnet is a superconductor. The word conductor simply means that the substance conducts electricity. In other words, it allows electrons to move freely about the substance. This property is most often found in metallic substances. Other non-metallic substances are often not conductors in the sense that their electrons stay put, often because they are integral to the stability of the substance.

A superconductor is a substance that allows electrons to move freely about without any form of resistance what so ever. In the case of a normal conductor the electrons meet with small forms of resistance. But not so with the superconductor. The superconductor is brought to a very low temperature. When it approaches the state where the electrical conductivity of the substance is nearly absolution, the magnetic field within the substance is diametrically expelled.

Normally, a magnetic substance forms a field of magnetism that emanates from the very core of its existence, locking and trapping other magnetic things in a very horrible way, I'm sure. But when it gets very, very cold magnetism decides it's had enough, says, "righto. We've had enough. If you're not going to come out of the cold, we're leaving!" And just like that it's gone and the electrons rejoice for their magnetic over lord of clinginess has given up total power.

But then this very cold object is put inside the context of another magnetic field, like the object above or below which the superconductor in the video is "pinned". Here the magnetic field of the other object attracts the superconductor and holds but not as it would were the substance to still be in the bond of its own magnetic field. So this is why the superconductor is trapped above or below the other object.

Another brilliant form of levitation can be seen in the night sky. The moon levitates above the earth in a similar fashion according to the mutual bond of gravity. How exactly these objects stay in relative position with one another is still a topic of discussion among scientists and lay men alike. However, one thing is clear. The moon and the earth are like atoms. Anyone can see that though gravity binds them, there is truly no contact betwixt the two. Like the atoms in our being, no contact exists, though consciousness binds us to the material fabric.

chownah

Postby chownah » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:19 am

For those who don't understand what has been said because it is too technical but still would like to know about the basic difference between maglev and quantum levitation I think the answer is that they both rely on magnetism as the force to do the lifing.....the difference is just in the way the magnetic force is made.....the main difference from a practical standpoint is that existing maglev trains rely on magnets which have electrical resistence and thus create a residue of heat (which is wasted energy) while the quantum levitation relies on magnets which have no electircal resistence and so create no residue of heat.....as Buddhists we might think of this as "magnetism with residue" and "magnetism without residue".
chownah

Pondera

Postby Pondera » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:45 am

And...and...with Mag Lev the polarity of the magnets are the same.

And with quantum pinning they're not. They're opposites.

chownah

Postby chownah » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:42 am

As Pondera points out there is also a difference in the arrangement of the magnetic fields....existing maglev technology utilizes the repuslion of two like poles (a north magnetic pole will repel another north magnetic pole and a south magnetic pole will repel another south magnetic pole....we say "like poles repel".).....I can not do videos on my internet connection so I'll have to rely on Pondera's description which seems to indicate that in quantum levitation they have arranged things so that opposite poles work together to do the lifting (a south magnetic pole will attract a north magnetic pole and visa versa...we say " opposite poles attract".) You can do lifting by either repelling (pushing) or attracting (pulling) so its a matter of engineering to determine which to use and for what reasons.
Also I want to point out that it is very possible to build a maglev with magnets with no residue of waste heat by using superconducting magnets but the technology to do this is not yet cost effective but it is heading in that direction and in the future it very well may be possible to do that.
chownah

Return to “Lounge”