YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Establish a Dhamma Foundation? - Dhamma Wheel

Establish a Dhamma Foundation?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
starter

Establish a Dhamma Foundation?

Postby starter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:33 pm

Hello Friends,

Since I've been swamped by my work-related stress and don't have time to meditate, contemplate or reflect as I'd like to, I'm wondering if I should continue such a life for many years to come or not, and if there's a possibility for me to work at a Dhamma Foundation, where I can use my Chinese and English background (I can also learn Pali) and my understanding of the Buddha's teaching/the Dhamma practice to contribute to the Dhamma.

One meaningful project would be to compare the Chinese agama, the Pali suttas and the selected components of the Tibetan canon to gain a more accurate, complete and comprehensive picture of the Buddha's teachings that retain the very essence of the Dhamma.

Another important project would be to translate this new "picture" into English, Chinese and some other languages.

I don't know if there is such a Dhamma Foundation or not. Would it be possible to establish one, if there's none?

Your input would be most appreciated.

Metta to all,

Starter
Last edited by starter on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Re: Establish a Dhamma Foundation?

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:23 pm

Perhaps as an ordained member of the Sangha would be the most likely available route to do that. As a lay person, you would need funding and resources to start such an endeavor and if you don't have a job, that is not likely to happen.

Bhikkhu Bodhi was the editor and president of the Buddhist Publication Society in Sri Lanka and then had the time and resources available to do his excellent work with the Pali Canon translations.

ground

Postby ground » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:44 am

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:41 am

Hi Starter,

I don't know if you can start a new dhamma foundation- be careful not to reinvent the wheel- look around- it maybe hard work. Everyone has to work for their money so money wont be easy to come by. Sometimes life is difficult and we rather distract ourselves doing what we crave for- dhamma. I was like this not too long ago- but life -ordinary going to work, dealing with the kids, daily struggle- kind of life is dhamma- that is where the really tough practice is- running away from it easy. Your on-cushion time is not practice, but merely a safe place to initially nurture your practice. Your practice begins when you open your eyes and work with your mind on a day to day basis. Life and dhamma are not separate. We crave for 'practice' in nice quiet settings- but we spend most of our time outside those settings-in that case how can we progress? The solution that I can find is that we can work with our minds looking at how it responds to the 'outside' world. Unless your ordain, that is. If you have no commitments that is not a bad thing. I have come to see that everyone has a role in life- the role of monks and nuns is to attain personal liberation and teach the dhamma. As lay people our role is to make a living and look after ourselves and family -and our personal liberation. Teaching the dhamma/dhamma work?-maybe- after you have completed other priorities. Otherwise confusion will eventually ensue. This is where I am right now and I'm sure opinions will differ.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

starter

Postby starter » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:57 pm

Hello Matheesha, TMingyur, David and Dymtro,

Many thanks for your helpful public and private advice. My initial thoughts about working at a Dhamma Foundation (better part time) are:

1) contributing my time/energy/knowledge/wisdom to the Dhamma instead of to the daily work -- although I can practice my patience, tolerance and mindfulness while doing my daily work, I thought I can also practice these while doing much more meaningful work that will not only benefit my own practice but also that of many other people (Well, probably I should overcome my aversion to the daily work first and then overcome my desire for the Dhamma work later -- I certainly haven't yet reached equanimity).

2) getting more time for my practice. Indeed the daily work is part of my dhamma practice and provides me with many opportunities to practice truthfulness, mindfulness, loving kindness, compassion, forgiveness, empathetic joy, generosity, gratitude, humidity, contentment, patience, tolerance ..., but I often don't even have time to reflect about these.

I'm also considering it would be nice to have a Dhamma Foundation in an English-speaking country, something like the Buddhist Publication Society in Sri Lanka, but with different tasks -- more oriented to serve as an internet guide for the practice of the lay Dhamma practitioners, especially beginners . "Access to Insight" has kind of served a similar role, but it has been run by one person with some particular focus. It would be good to establish and maintain a world-wide internet website by a Dhamma Foundation that focuses on the very essence of the Buddha's teachings and the carefully selected resources/guides for the Dhamma practice of the lay practitioners.

These are only some of my preliminary thoughts. Again your input has been and would be most appreciated. Metta to all,

Starter
Last edited by starter on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chownah

Postby chownah » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:05 am

Starter,
I think you should follow your dreams but do it with eyes wide open. Sounds like you are not willing to spend your life in a meaningless job and this realization will serve you well IF you can find a way to act on it....it is, however, for most people not an easy task to find meaningful work that will also provide the requisites.

In an attempt to help you with this dream of yours I ask you what exactly is your idea about what all a Dhamma Foundation is?.....I'm asking because it seems that the things which you have described as projects to be undertaken are all things that you could do pretty much on your own at home in your free time......so.....I'm wondering what your vision of a dhamma foundation is....what facilities would it have and what work would be done (both generally and on a daily basis)....and what your daily routine would be if you worked there. I'm asking as this might be helpful in clarifyilng just exactly what you are thinking of and just exactly what would be needed to realize it and whether it would fulfill your personal needs for meaningful work....etc.
chownah

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”