YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Forbidden Woman - Dhamma Wheel

Forbidden Woman

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
pelletboy

Forbidden Woman

Postby pelletboy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:31 pm

Are women engaged to be married part of the list of Forbidden Women you can't have sex with? I read in one list that one "earmarked since birth" is a forbidden women? Does this count if she was engaged later in life yet not yet married? In another list it doesn't state an engaged woman as forbidden but it was replaced with a woman "kept by her husband." Which is which?

kirk5a

Re: Forbidden Woman

Postby kirk5a » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:34 pm

"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

robertk

Postby robertk » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:36 pm

Even a prostitute that has been paid for by another man is off limits- you are taking his temporary lover- what more to say of stealing someone's bethrothed.

pelletboy

Postby pelletboy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:46 pm

Fede

Postby Fede » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:51 pm

Ok, pelletboy, cut the crood... who is she?
Have you met someone?
Is she 'off-limits' in some way?
What concerns do you have about pursuing this?

I suspect many questions regarding the Moral fabric of the Precepts posed in a general way, hide a more specific motivation.
But hey! :shrug:

I could be waaaaay off bat here.

And if I am, I apologise.....
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/

pelletboy

Postby pelletboy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:28 pm

santa100

Postby santa100 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:33 pm

pelletboy

Postby pelletboy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:32 pm

Yo0u just can't discount that sex is a major part of the joys of the 6 sense heavens and the human realm. Its one of the main good points in the dhamma that reveals to people that many forms of premarital sex are not sin unlike Christianity which suffocates this aspect of life that would give many people such benefits in their emotional demeanor. Of course its a revelation that can benefit or destroy us depending on how mature we are. But still its the truth.

Tex

Postby Tex » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:56 pm

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”