Lost my job

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.
byamspa

Lost my job

Post by byamspa »

earlier today

Anyway right now i'm in shock and pretty much devastated. I'm ok financially for now, but i'm just like 'what do i do now?'

Need help!
Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
greentara

Re: Lost my job

Post by greentara »

I understand how you feel. It happened to me years ago and I also went into inner shock, outwardly I tried to maintain a cool facade. There was a lot of soul searching and asking myself...'couldn't you see it coming? How did this come about?'
Anyway after alot of effort I managed to get myself quite an interesting job in a completely different field. I know the job situation is lousy with politicians fudging the stats, ignore the power play; you never know what can come up. You havn't done anything wrong. I've long ago come to the conclusion that things just happen.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Green Tara
Green Tara
Green Tara.jpg (25.35 KiB) Viewed 4924 times

OM TARE TUTTARE TURE SOHA
byamspa

Post by byamspa »

Thanks Yudron.

I'm thinking a lot.
1) advantage: got more time for practise now
2) i wonder if i could do something other than IT thats more of use for society.
3) and i have an interview tomorrow, we'll see what happens.
Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
plwk

Post by plwk »

If this is helpful? Whilst hunting for another one, one can try volunteer work at animal shelters, charitable & Dharma organisations, or at the very least, try a flexible part time work that gets one some kind of income, gives one some leeway for future job interviews and occupy the passing time, just to keep the mind positive?

Probably also, one can use this time to catch up on Dharma studies and practice?
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

I'm very sorry. However the response depends on many factors.

Do you live in a Northern European social democracy? If so, you will probably be ok.

Do you live in the US? Do you have > $250,000 in the bank per person who is dependent upon you and have no debt? If so, you will probably be okay for a year or more. If not, then you will need to start planning immediately.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
byamspa

Post by byamspa »

kirtu wrote:I'm very sorry. However the response depends on many factors.

Do you live in a Northern European social democracy? If so, you will probably be ok.

Do you live in the US? Do you have > $250,000 in the bank per person who is dependent upon you and have no debt? If so, you will probably be okay for a year or more. If not, then you will need to start planning immediately.

Kirt
Im in the us, with almost no debt, just a car payment, and a lot of money tied up in various investments. My spouse is still working too. So i'm better off than a lot of people.

i have some time to think about things, i'm pretty burned out on IT.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

byamspa wrote:

Im in the us, with almost no debt, just a car payment, and a lot of money tied up in various investments. My spouse is still working too. So i'm better off than a lot of people.

i have some time to think about things, i'm pretty burned out on IT.
It's unimaginable to me that you are burned out on IT but then the labor situation and how IT has developed as an industry is also nearly unimaginable. Where are you living? Can you live without a car? Almost no debt is not no debt. Will your spouse support changes if they need to be made?

A lot better off than most people: this is saying nothing in what is a de facto economic Depression with no end in sight.

I spent all my money trying to create a company with little return, so don't do that.

Since you are in the US, If you have < $250,000 for yourself and your spouse in liquid assets (so $500,000) then you are more or less insolvent. Other people would set this bar as low as $50,000 per person (with no debt). It depends on where you live of course.

If you can start your own company and generate your own income within 6 months without losing money then this is often the safest course of action.

As you yourself noted, engaging in Dharma activities, as long as your spouse supports this action, is also a good course of action.

You will probably need to get into a support group immediately if the interviews do not pan out within 1 month.

You will need to follow your own intuition on what to do next.

Kirt
Last edited by kirtu on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
BuddhaSoup

Post by BuddhaSoup »

byamspa wrote:

Kirt

i have some time to think about things, I'm pretty burned out on IT.
It sounds like you are a talented person, who is a bit burned out. I disagree with the other poster who claims that you are somehow in a precarious position. You're really not. You're actually nicely positioned to consider a "Plan B" in terms of vocation, but don't be too quick to leave a profession in which you're skilled. It may be true that you keep networking, readjust spending as your spouse will be the primary income source, and perhaps do some consulting part time while you consider the next step. I've found one way to manage burnout in my profession (law) is not to leave law practice, but to find other vocations and pursuits to balance the burnout factor that my vocation brings me. Leaving my vocation would be a folly, as unfortunately I'm not competent at anything else. :)

Burnout is a real psychological phenomenon. It may not be that IT is the issue, but the factors in your last job that lead to burnout. Maybe try to stay the course, do the work that you have talent in, and look to add some color and variety to your life.

Getting sacked can be a trauma for a lot of people. For you, my sense is that it's just a "hit the reset button" opportunity for you, and I am glad for that. Your last company didn't fire you, they just made a huge mistake, and lead you to some new open doors.

That's my two cents.
byamspa

Post by byamspa »

BuddhaSoup wrote:
It sounds like you are a talented person, who is a bit burned out. I disagree with the other poster who claims that you are somehow in a precarious position. You're really not. You're actually nicely positioned to consider a "Plan B" in terms of vocation, but don't be too quick to leave a profession in which you're skilled. It may be true that you keep networking, readjust spending as your spouse will be the primary income source, and perhaps do some consulting part time while you consider the next step. I've found one way to manage burnout in my profession (law) is not to leave law practice, but to find other vocations and pursuits to balance the burnout factor that my vocation brings me. Leaving my vocation would be a folly, as unfortunately I'm not competent at anything else. :)

Burnout is a real psychological phenomenon. It may not be that IT is the issue, but the factors in your last job that lead to burnout. Maybe try to stay the course, do the work that you have talent in, and look to add some color and variety to your life.

Getting sacked can be a trauma for a lot of people. For you, my sense is that it's just a "hit the reset button" opportunity for you, and I am glad for that. Your last company didn't fire you, they just made a huge mistake, and lead you to some new open doors.

That's my two cents.
My spouse is being supportive. We plan on liquifying some tied up money and I plan on making 'finding a job' my current job. However, there goes my retreat i was planning this summer.

This is not going to be easy, but i'm trying to see the positive. I hated that job anyway. Maybe i'll find something i like better.
BuddhaSoup

Post by BuddhaSoup »

T
his is not going to be easy, but i'm trying to see the positive. I hated that job anyway. Maybe i'll find something i like better.
You will. Reset button officially pushed.
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

Good-luck with it all. I understand that pulling a quid is first & foremost in the house-holders life. Give a bit of dana & see if it brings you a bit of luck.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

If you want a job in another field,

Recite Tara, Amitabha, a mantra, or anything and wish to land a good job.

I work in the field of mental health service, and I am burning out too. But I am taking a vacation to Vietnam in 3 weeks.

Peace my friend, and take care.
It’s eye blinking.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Love pays attention to these limited beings, thinking, "May limited beings have physical happiness."
Compassion pays attention to them, thinking, "May limited beings not have suffering (pain)."
Joy pays attention to them, thinking, "May limited beings have mental happiness."
Equanimity pays attention to them, thinking, "May limited beings stay in great equanimity, free from adherence and refusal. "

May you have all this too.
byamspa

Post by byamspa »

Thank you everyone for the good thoughts! I have like 5 (not kidding) recruiters talking to me this morning. Here's keeping my finger's crossed something good comes my way.

may all beings benefit from all actions, mundane and sublime, pure or obscured.

--byamspa
lobster

Post by lobster »

I have like 5 (not kidding) recruiters talking to me this morning
:woohoo:

May the buddhas be with you
Good luck

OM YA HA HUM :namaste:
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Exalted Goddess, Mother Tara, you dwell within the mother, the unborn sphere of phenomena. Giver of ease to all sentient beings, please protect us from every peril.

Mother Goddess, please protect sentient beings who wander cyclic existence—my mothers whose minds have fallen under the sway of afflictions, and do not recognize that they themselves are dharmakaya.

Authentic Mother Goddess, please protect those in whose minds Dharma has not sincerely arisen—those who, following after mere expressions, have been deceived by base doctrines.

Mindful Mother Goddess, please protect those distracted by evil activities –those who, though having seen the natural mind, so difficult to comprehend, do not habituate it.

Goddess of Nondual Mind, please protect those who, no matter what they do, are bound by the mental imprints of dualistic grasping at the mind that is self-arisen nondual wisdom.

Omniscient Mother Goddess, please protect those who are ignorant of the meaning of knowable things—those who, though having dwelt in the true meaning, are not aware of the dependent relations of cause and effect.

Perfect Mother Buddha, please protect those beings—disciples who still do not see that all things, endowed with the attribute of unelaborated space, are inseparable therefrom.

When Lord Jigten Gonpo beheld a vision of the Seven Noble Taras in the Echung Cave, he supplicated them [with this prayer, which] is known as The Seven [Verses of Supplication to Tara for] Protection. It is renowned for its extremely great blessing.

Translated by Ari Kiev

Lord Atisha's Homage and Supplication to Tara

Om. Homage to she who protects from the eight perils! Homage to she who blazes with auspicious splendor! Homage to she who blocks the door to evil destinies! Homage to she who guides on the path to the higher realms! You have continually accompanied me. Pray protect me evermore with compassion!
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
byamspa

Post by byamspa »

You guys are great! I'm finding it a little hard to stay positive, so this helps so much.

I've already had one interview, and i really liked the place, hopefully they will call me back. I have another schedule for this afternoon.
byamspa

Post by byamspa »

Update, i just accepted a position!

Thanks for everyone's prayers and good wishes etc. May all beings benefit and know happiness.

om tare tuttare ture soha!
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

byamspa wrote:Update, i just accepted a position!

Thanks for everyone's prayers and good wishes etc. May all beings benefit and know happiness.

om tare tuttare ture soha!

Now prayers that you can have time to practice! Om Tara Tuttare Ture Soha.

Return to “Prayers and Aspirations”