Tripitaka Container, or Sutra Container

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Tripitaka Container, or Sutra Container

Postby Aemilius » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Some days ago, at night, I saw that originally the Tripitaka was carried around in a special container and it had great influence, majesty and magical power, as you can imagine. This is the original story, of it there is hardly anything left, at least I have never heard much anything... There are still in some countries a habit of carrying around the the Tripitaka in a kind of procession once a year, this may be a distant reflection of the original Tripitaka Container and its ceremonial arrival.
Then I saw, in this nightly panorama, that the occidental story of the Ark of the Covenant is really based on the existence of this first Tripitaka Container, and that the Ark of the Covenant derives from the power and influence of the Tripitaka Container.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ark_of_the_Covenant
svaha
Aemilius

Re: Tripitaka Container, or Sutra Container

Postby Sonrisa » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:10 pm

I have never heard of the Ark of the Covenant being based on the Tripitaka container.

Can you please elaborate? This sounds interesting.
Namo Amitabha
Namo Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva
Namo Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva

May I continue to practice loving-kindness and compassion for sentient beings. May my friends and loved ones be free from suffering. May those who have hurt me also be free from suffering.

Hatred is like throwing cow dung at someone else. You get dirty first before throwing it to someone else.
Sonrisa

Postby Huifeng » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:11 am

"originally"?
Huifeng

Postby Aemilius » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:10 pm

Huifeng wrote:"originally"?

In this view the Mahayana Tripitaka acquired a written form much earlier than generally accepted, that is in the first century after Tathagata's parinirvana. Like it or not, it is something that I have repeatedly experienced to be the truth, over the decades.
That word in the first sentence is probably not quite right, in its place should be: "during the first century after Tathagata's parinirvana".
svaha
Aemilius

Postby Huifeng » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:35 am

And your evidence of this is ...?
Huifeng

Postby Astus » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:05 am

Interesting, although I don't quite understand how one can "experience" something that happened more than two thousand years ago. I'd be interested in some evidence too.
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

"Neither cultivation nor seated meditation — this is the pure Chan of Tathagata."
(Mazu Daoyi, X1321p3b23; tr. Jinhua Jia)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T2076p461b24-26)
Astus
Former staff member

Postby Aemilius » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:19 am

Astus wrote:Interesting, although I don't quite understand how one can "experience" something that happened more than two thousand years ago. I'd be interested in some evidence too.

That's why it is in this section "personal experience". Time doen't exist independently, 2000 years is like a millisecond when you start to get somewhere, beyond that come all the things of a really vast time scale, that are described in the Mahayana sutras,....
svaha
Aemilius

Postby Indrajala » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:56 pm

Aemilius wrote:
Astus wrote:Interesting, although I don't quite understand how one can "experience" something that happened more than two thousand years ago. I'd be interested in some evidence too.

That's why it is in this section "personal experience". Time doen't exist independently, 2000 years is like a millisecond when you start to get somewhere, beyond that come all the things of a really vast time scale, that are described in the Mahayana sutras,....

So you saw something from many centuries ago in a vision?
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby Will » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:18 pm

Huseng wrote:
Aemilius wrote:

So you saw something from many centuries ago in a vision?

Yes, I think that is what is being said - which may explain Aemilius' previous expressed notions.

Visions have no truth just because we experience them. Confirmation is needed.
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby Aemilius » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:33 pm

Will wrote:Visions have no truth just because we experience them. Confirmation is needed.

I also don't take them too seriously, I could equally well tell you what I dreamed last night or few days ago, and it wouldn' t need to be more true that that. I thought that sharing one's inner experience is the purpose of this section, is it not ?
Dreams and visions have an inner logic, at the time of their occurrence they seem true and logical, what would be a rational confirmation? -I don't know.
According to what I have read about buddhist history not very much is known about the approximately 20 early schools of buddhism, all kinds of things can have been existence that have since then disappeared without a trace.
What are valid sources of knowledge in your view ?
svaha
Aemilius

Postby Will » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:20 pm

Aemilius: What are valid sources of knowledge in your view ?

See the new thread Pramanas...
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Return to Personal Experience