Natural Meditation

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Natural Meditation

Postby Ish » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:27 pm

When resting in natural meditation, i.e. eyes naturally open, mouth open, breathing as it is through the mouth and nose.

With the field of vision do we let it go "soft"? Like simply gazing as opposed to letting the vision be more clear/focused as it is in day to day life?

Thanks
Ish

Re: Natural Meditation

Postby Yudron » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:39 pm

Ish wrote:When resting in natural meditation, i.e. eyes naturally open, mouth open, breathing as it is through the mouth and nose.

With the field of vision do we let it go "soft"? Like simply gazing as opposed to letting the vision be more clear/focused as it is in day to day life?

Thanks

Because there is no object, it makes sense for it to be soft, eh?
Yudron

Postby ngodrup » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:11 am

In this kind of practice, at least in the beginning, there is an object. Space.
But since is is not a tangible object, what Yudron said. ;)

It is a bit odd isn't it? to focus on or in space?
ngodrup

Postby Free » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:23 am

Yes, be warm and receptive, bright-toned in mood. Be relaxed, and let what is already naturally and perfect manifest as it is without interfering,,, smile at it. :)
Free

Postby Karma Dondrup Tashi » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:13 pm

Hm sounds tricky like there are a lot of requirements to be in the real nature. Why no objects? Illusion isn't reality, I suppose?
:tongue:
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Postby Yudron » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:07 pm

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:Hm sounds tricky like there are a lot of requirements to be in the real nature. Why no objects? Illusion isn't reality, I suppose?

Yes, you can rest in the nature while practicing meditation with an object, but I don't think that is what the OP is asking about.
Yudron

Postby Ish » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:11 pm

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:Hm sounds tricky like there are a lot of requirements to be in the real nature. Why no objects? Illusion isn't reality, I suppose?

They aren't required, just quite normal if you are relaxed. Plus have the effect of slowing down the winds.

Thanks for responses I thought it was right as it feels correct.
Ish

Postby Karma Dondrup Tashi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:57 am

Yudron wrote:

Yes, you can rest in the nature while practicing meditation with an object, but I don't think that is what the OP is asking about.

My apologies whenever I play wise crypto-mystic I end up being an *ss. It would not be a bad idea to ignore the stuff I say honestly. :cry:
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Postby Yudron » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:25 am

I'm overly literal and prosaic. I don't think we will be making wedding plans anytime soon.
Yudron

Postby Ayu » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:27 am

Bad days come and go.
Because, if our mothers, who have been kind to us
From beginningless time, are suffering,
What can we do with (just) our own happiness?
From 10th of 37 Bodhisattva Practices
Ayu

Postby lobster » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:23 am

With the field of vision do we let it go "soft"?

I like the word soft.
Kind, gentle, passive, accepting.

Mindful, eyeful.

So easy. Anything else is hard.

:popcorn:
lobster

Postby haydenlaw » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:53 pm

I just find some point in my visual field and 'hang' my vision on it like an old coat - personally, I need some focus or I tend more to fall asleep. But that focus doesn't need to be active, or engage thoughts, just a point of rest. But this is just my thought.

Susan
haydenlaw

Postby heart » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:33 pm

haydenlaw wrote:I just find some point in my visual field and 'hang' my vision on it like an old coat - personally, I need some focus or I tend more to fall asleep. But that focus doesn't need to be active, or engage thoughts, just a point of rest. But this is just my thought.

Susan

I think the point you are making Susan is that not moving our eyes all the time actually makes recognition easier, yes?

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby haydenlaw » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:56 am

heart wrote:
haydenlaw wrote:I just find some point in my visual field and 'hang' my vision on it like an old coat - personally, I need some focus or I tend more to fall asleep. But that focus doesn't need to be active, or engage thoughts, just a point of rest. But this is just my thought.

Susan

I think the point you are making Susan is that not moving our eyes all the time actually makes recognition easier, yes?

/magnus

Yes. It allows a still field in which recognition might arise? Perhaps I could say that.

Susan
haydenlaw

Postby Heruka » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:11 am

conceptual working overtime.
Heruka

Postby heart » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:52 am

Heruka wrote:conceptual working overtime.

yes, even the smart comments comes from there, no? :smile:

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby heart » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:58 am

haydenlaw wrote:
heart wrote:

Susan

/magnus

Yes. It allows a still field in which recognition might arise? Perhaps I could say that.

Susan

I listened to ChNNR and he talked about doing three-fold sky practice within the space of your room. It actually becomes the same. You look towards something and then move the eyes fixation backwards from that object to the space between the object and your eyes and there you are. Eyes unmoving and without fixation on anything , very soft indeed.

/magnus
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby haydenlaw » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:07 pm

Thanks, Magnus.
haydenlaw

Postby muni » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:51 am

Ish, do you allow me to post this here, which is related to your title but maybe not what you asked...it is only short time available and therefore to open a new tread...

Thank you!

http://www.dharmata.org/teachings/
muni

Postby Ish » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:02 pm

muni wrote:Ish, do you allow me to post this here, which is related to your title but maybe not what you asked...it is only short time available and therefore to open a new tread...

Thank you!

http://www.dharmata.org/teachings/

Absolutely, thanks for posting, i'm watching it now :D .
Ish

Return to Dzogchen