YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

More teaching nuns are needed - Dhamma Wheel

More teaching nuns are needed

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Cilla

More teaching nuns are needed

Postby Cilla » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:37 am

tiltbillings

Re: More teaching nuns are needed

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:53 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:04 am

well said, Tilt.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

chownah

Postby chownah » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:55 am

While tiltbillings has expressed a key idea on this topic I think that there is another aspect to consider....it is people who have not come to grips with sexual tension in a mixed gender group and probably most of those same people are wanting to learn the dhamma for the purpose of overcoming this kind of clinging (among other things which they are trying to learn as well)....so doesn't it make sense that they should be provided with the best environment to facilitate their learning?...and if sexual tension is a problem then wouldn't it be beneficial to have same gender environments to enhance the learning experience?....I think that the obvious answer to this is that yes it would be beneficial for some and I think that tiltbillings and Ben would agree with this (but we'll see..maybe I'm wrong).
I think that the best person to solve a problem is the person who understands the problem best....so I guess the best thing is for those who see the problem of sexual tension in transmission of the dhamma to do something to eliminate or at least reduce the problem and I think that this is what Cilla is trying to do...so....good work Cilla!!!!.....keep putting forward your best efforts....have you considered teaching dhamma in a same gender environment?....
chownah

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:36 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:13 am

Meditation courses run at both IMC and SN Goenka's meditation centres are segregated. The men have their own areas, inc separate dining halls, walking areas, accommodation units and separate sections in the meditation hall. Most courses are run with both a male and a female assistant teacher. On the long courses the male students only see the male assistant teacher for interviews and the same for female students seeing the female assistant teacher. During the ten-day course its still quite usual for both assistant teachers to be present during interviews except if it is a large course.
Having said that, one comes to the realization very quickly that anything to do with any defilement relating to the opposite sex is something that occurs within the framework of one's own mind/body complex. It is, after all, just dhammas rising and falling.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:54 am

Try to make contact with . She is a Swiss national, but has spent many years in Chanmyay Yeitha in Burma, and speaks fluent Burmese. I don't know where she is now, but she seems to travel out of Burma to teach from time to time, and has taught at the Blue Mountains Meditation Centre in Australia.
• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:23 am

Hi Cilla,

You might find the talk by Bhikkhuni Seri (of WA) interesting: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9242

And Ajahn Vayama's talks: http://www.dhammaloka.org.au/downloads/ ... ayama.html

:anjali:
Mike

Cilla

Postby Cilla » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:59 pm

Thanks all for your input.

I do understand that one must deal with the issue in oneself. But my initial reason for making the suggestion was that i noticed that the buddha himself suggested setting things up so that it would be easier to avoid temptations to help make the mind for free from these things so that concentration on the dharma would be easier. Hence why the monks had to get rid of their belongings and all dress the same. Why they are only allowed to eat once a day. All those rules it seems to me were about making it easier to create the best conditions for attaining enlightenment via the path.

Even it seems his reluctance initially not to have nuns was it seems to me to keep segregation.

befriend

Postby befriend » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:11 am

segregating male teachers from female students would make things alot worse. look at Iran, men and women are not allowed to hold hands in public and literally cannot ski together on the same side of the mountain. no kissing in public, the men are so repressed that they literally have to engange in homosexual acts to cool there passions. you cant run from your problems. i mean there are a lot people out there. you dont have to get interested in someone just because they are of the gender you are attracted to. does this dhamma teacher look like brad pitt or something? metta.
nothing can destroy a man who has lived a pure life

Monkey Mind

Postby Monkey Mind » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:25 am

Two more links:
http://www.bhikkhuni.net/links.html
http://awakeningtruth.org

It's funny (speaking to Tilt's point), I'm a gay man and on the 10 day retreats I struggle with sexual urges during the first 4 days of the retreat, but eventually this subsides. Other gay men and lesbians have told me it is similar for them. My heterosexual peers say that they only experience mild sexual urges during the first few days, but on the last couple of days when segregation of the sexes ends, they feel like ravenous wolves.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710

befriend

Postby befriend » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:30 am

i dont mean on retreats i mean like going to a dhamma talk.

Cilla

Postby Cilla » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:54 am

I am not even talking about sexual urges because that's not the issue that comes up for me. Its more about basic attraction. I suppose at some point that translates into sexual urges. Or does it.

I suppose i see it as similar to a hungry person sitting in a room where there's a bbq going on. You know, its just hard to stay concentrated on what you are supposed to be there for. Isn't it?

Nevermind anyway.

befriend

Postby befriend » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:39 am

yea yea you might have a point i remember having attractive teachers in high school and catching myself daydreaming about them. hahha.

chownah

Postby chownah » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:19 pm

Maybe it would be better if teachers wore ugly masks and their speach was put through a distortion amplifier and they put foul smelling substances on their body before giving a lesson?.....
chownah

Zom

Postby Zom » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:50 pm

:D

Zom

Postby Zom » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:51 pm

Or maybe it is better just to find a boyfriend ? ))

(By the way this is quite a wide-spread situation when women attend dhamma/dharma lectures, temples, monasteries not to understand the teaching and work with their own mind, but to find "some good man" over there ,) But if you point on that - the usual reaction is denial and even irritation.)

Cilla

Postby Cilla » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:43 am

Zom

Postby Zom » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:36 am

Beneath the Wheel

Postby Beneath the Wheel » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:21 pm

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”