YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

does anyone here do kasina meditation? - Dhamma Wheel

does anyone here do kasina meditation?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
nicholas

does anyone here do kasina meditation?

Postby nicholas » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:46 am

i've read about it in depth in visuddhimagga and saw where it is mentioned briefly in the canon. does anyone practice it? what is it like? how does the experience differ from mindfulness of breathing/vipassana? how do you go from looking at the kasina to shutting your eyes? visuddhimagga just says to shut and open your eyes thousands of times or something roughly like that (i'm not going to look it up and quote it since that's not what i need to know), until the sign arises and then you go back to your hut or something and wait for the counter sign. but it's not very precise. does anyone know where there are more in depth instructions? are they in the canon any where? as far as i saw the buddha just makes a quick reference to them once or twice (but then again i don't own the whole canon...).

PeterB

Re: does anyone here do kasina meditation?

Postby PeterB » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:25 am

I dont practice it now...but I have in the past and found it very effective in raising awareness of mind states...particularly the emotions.
I do think that it is highly desirable to say the least to seek out hands on instruction... as with all forms of meditation. Kasina practice might be a bit harder to find though.
In the absence of hands on I would suggest leaving it alone.

:anjali:
Last edited by PeterB on Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clarence

Postby Clarence » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:04 am

Pa Auk Sayadaw teaches Kasina. You can read about it in his "Knowing and Seeing".

Zom

Postby Zom » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:50 pm

From my personal understaning I've got reading suttas, kasinas are to be practised in the jhana state, not before (everywhere in the suttas kasinas are described within the context of jhana) and so I find Visuddhimagga's kasina practice incorrect. :weep:

And that's what Ajahn Lee told:

In practicing meditation, if you direct your mind along the right path, you'll see results in the immediate present. At the same time, if you lead yourself astray, you'll reap harm in the immediate present as well. For the most part, if meditators lack the training that comes from associating with those who are truly expert and experienced, they can become deluded or schizoid in a variety of ways. How so? By letting themselves get carried away with the signs or visions that appear to them, to the point where they lose sense of their own bodies and minds. Playing around with an external kasina is a special culprit in this regard. Those who lack sufficient training will tend to hallucinate, convinced of the truth of whatever they focus on, letting themselves get carried away by what they know and see until they lose touch with reality, making it difficult for any sort of discernment to arise. For this reason, in this guide I have taught to focus exclusively on the body and mind, the important point being not to fasten on or become obsessed with whatever may appear in the course of your practice.

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:11 pm

A friend of mine did a multi-month kasina retreat locally a couple of years ago, but with at Tibetan-style teacher, where the emphasis was more on the different emotions arising from different kasinas (and they were specifically instructed to not approach it as a jhana practice), so that's not particularly relevant to this topic, except to say that that kasina techniques do exist.

I recally Bikkhu Bodhi saying something similar to Zom, that kasina practice can be so powerful that it can be problematic if done without guidance.

:anjali:
Mike

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:41 pm

I was taught it in a Theravadin context Mike, by a Theravadin Bhikkhu and he made no reference to Jhana states at all. It was as you said, specific to the clarification of emotions.
Kasina practice should not imo be done without hands on guidance.
But then imo neither should any other Buddhist practice.
With no exceptions.

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:29 am

In the thread which was split from this one I have made it clear that i should have said " any other Buddhist meditation practice...imo."

Ben

Postby Ben » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:33 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:35 am

Ajahn Sudhiro - Benefit and danger of kasina meditation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkwehwlY ... re=related
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

- Theravada texts
- Translations and history of Pali texts
- Sutta translations

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”