New on both counts..

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
LittleCat

New on both counts..

Post by LittleCat »

Hello everyone :) It's a pleasure to meet you all.

I'm 65, and new both to Buddhism and to this forum. Unfortunately, I have no teacher available, as I live in a very rural area, and because of many health issues, traveling is very difficult. I wish a teacher was in my near future, but there are none currently within my reach, so I will have to do the best I can for now.

I do, however, have the blessings of the written word, and am devouring anything I can lay my hands on. Currently I'm reading books written by His Holiness, the Dalai Lama, as well as scouring other resources online, and now I've found this forum :) This website is a life ring flung at a drowning person. Now, I will have at least some discourse with other believers.

Forgive me, but I may lurk a while, until I get my 'sea legs'. I'm having difficulty learning all the titles..other languages were never my strong point, and also, my mind isn't as sharp as it used to be. :shock: I'm lucky if I can remember where I put my glasses, or retain the names of people I've recently met, so you can imagine what words like Mahayana and Varjrayana do to me. I pray you'll be patient with my stumbling.

Thank you

LC
Punya

Re: New on both counts..

Post by Punya »

Hi LC. I hope you find DW a helpful support. :smile:
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Lucent

Post by Lucent »

Welcome to the forums. I'm new here too so I guess it's nice to know I'm not the only one. :) If you want I can help you scavenge for material online XD But I'm not sure if they were meant to be post online or not.

Anyway I hope to see you around the forums, and hope you find a teacher eventually.
JohnWB

Post by JohnWB »

Welcome aboard! I'm still getting my "sea legs" too. There's a lot of information to read here and enjoy! :namaste:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Welcome to Dharma Wheel LittleCat and don't be afraid to ask questions, we will try as hard as possible to oblige with answers!
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Welcome LittleCat! :hi:

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hi:

Vajratantrika

Post by Vajratantrika »

Hi LC,

Welcome to the forum. May it be a support in your Dharma path.

Also, not sure if you have ever seen this, but here is an online directory (helpful for locating Dharma communities/centers, etc for most traditions)
World Buddhist Directory

I believe there are aspiration prayers that may help in finding a teacher as well. If you are interested in this, I'll be happy to track some down for you.
May all sentient beings have happiness and its causes,
May all sentient beings be free of suffering and its causes,
May all sentient beings never be separated from bliss without suffering,
May all sentient beings be in equanimity, free of ignorance, attachment and aversion.
lobster

Post by lobster »

LittleCat wrote: traveling is very difficult.

We can usually find the dharma within more than without . . .
Always good to have companions keeping the wayward, such as myself on the straight and narrow :smile:

Return to “Introductions”