Treeleaf Sangha

tigerdown

Re: Treeleaf Sangha

Post by tigerdown »

Dan74 wrote:
But frankly, isn't our time better spent practicing than doing the circles around this thread? I mean it is rare to encounter the Dharma, it's a great blessing and we should all feel immensely grateful to the Buddha all the way down to our teachers who pass it on to us. I am sure we do. And if Jundo is an imperfect vessel, so what? Whose teacher is perfect? All we can hope for is that people's practice takes root and then they will find the way, even with the most imperfect teacher.
Now, finally, there is a reasonable voice in this thread! :anjali:

Except that some of us find Jundo and Taigu actually pretty powerful teachers, but that is my own experience. :smile:

T
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Dan74 wrote:I confess, I find this thread a bit sad.

We have on one hand people expressing reservations about Trealeaf online format, people expressing reservations about Trealeaf teacher, Jundo, and a number of Trealeaf members defending both.

Well, to what end?

If they teach adharma at Trealeaf, lets discuss that. If there are some pertinent revelations about Jundo, lets see them. Otherwise this just goes to undermine people's practice there. It is corrosive without offering anything.

Jundo and I have disagreed many times in the past. He may not conform to my idea of a "first-rate teacher," but that's just my opinion and I may well be wrong (I have been in the past due to reading too much into this medium). So if folks have no access to real-world Sangha, why deny them an opportunity to practice with Trealeaf? Why rubbish the place and the teacher and undermine their practice?

I think if we have reservations, they are best kept to ourselves. If we have facts to offer - that's another story.

And if people have access to a real-world Sangha, I think they should experience it. In fact I think it is good to experience several teachers.

But frankly, isn't our time better spent practicing than doing the circles around this thread? I mean it is rare to encounter the Dharma, it's a great blessing and we should all feel immensely grateful to the Buddha all the way down to our teachers who pass it on to us. I am sure we do. And if Jundo is an imperfect vessel, so what? Whose teacher is perfect? All we can hope for is that people's practice takes root and then they will find the way, even with the most imperfect teacher.
Worth quoting in full I think, particularly as the page has turned.
The voice of reason indeed. Which of course begs the question whether reason is seen as desirable to all parties in the debate.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I think this is a fitting point to close this discussion. If anybody feels they have anything important or relevant to add (that has not already been said) please feel free to contact me.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Zen”