YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

What's wrong with Buddha's '6th sense'? - Dhamma Wheel

What's wrong with Buddha's '6th sense'?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
DarwidHalim

What's wrong with Buddha's '6th sense'?

Postby DarwidHalim » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:45 am

Dear Members,

When Buddha reach enlightenment under the boddhi tree, he actually 'reluctant' to teach. 'Someone' came and Told him that they are people out there with little dust in their eyes. Those people will be able to understand the teaching. Afterwards, he started his teaching. What is wrong with his '6 sense'?
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!

ground

Re: What's wrong with Buddha's '6th sense'?

Postby ground » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:12 am

Why should there be something wrong? What do you feel to be wrong?

Kind regards

DarwidHalim

Postby DarwidHalim » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:21 am

Why he cannot see there are people with little dust in their eyes until 'someone' inform him?

Does it mean that if that 'person' never appeared, there is no Buddhism today?
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!

ground

Postby ground » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:35 am

plwk

Postby plwk » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:16 am

One interpretation I have heard in one Dhamma talk about this is that the Dhamma cannot be forced on others but rather must be requested from to be taught. So, perhaps it's not about the Buddha not knowing but rather the Brahma himself understood the importance of requesting for the Dhamma to be taught to all.

Hence, one can notice today that there is also this tradition of requesting for Dhamma from the Ordained (and in some other chants, for Precepts, before meditation sitting sessions, dana and etc.)

One can read about it
And

chownah

Postby chownah » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:23 am

DarwidHalim,
This is something I have wondered about for a long time....how can it be that the rightly awakend Buddha can be so out of touch with the human condition that he is not aware that some are able to benefit in short time from his teaching?....it really boggles the mind to think that the Buddha could have been in that condition...it's like being autistic......or in a drug stupor.....in another place in the Tipitaka it talks about when he was born and how he already knew his destiny as the Thatagata....so did he forget this while growing up?....My guess is that the entire thing has been made up and is just a story....on the other hand it doesn't really matter I guess.
chownah

santa100

Postby santa100 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:58 am

Thanks Plwk for the "Why the Buddha hesitated" link (ref: http://dharmafarer.org/wordpress/wp-con ... itated.pdf). It's 29 pages and gave a thorough analysis. A great reference..

pegembara

Postby pegembara » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:59 am

And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:11 am

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

ground

Postby ground » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:56 am

What manifested was wisdom and not "a fool's compassion".
After cessation of perception and feeling, i.e. consciousness He was capable of stirring perception and feeling "at will". Therefore He began to teach and since He only stirred what was not "His" He manifested supreme skillfulness. Whose suffering should be perceived if neither "a being" nor "a person" is perceived?

kind regards

piotr

Postby piotr » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:50 am

Hi,

you should ask about 7th sense ;)
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...

chownah

Postby chownah » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:49 am

I think it is only natural that the Buddha would think a bit about teaching after reaching enlightenment....it's hard to imagine that the Buddha would just reflexively start teaching without giving it some thought first......I think the topic of this thread is why did someone have to come and inform him of the human condition and sort of "talk him into" teaching. But now I see from a link given that it wasn't a "someone" who did this but it was Brahma Sahampati, a Maha Brahma of the Akanittha heaven......so I guess for me this puts the whole thing into perspective...or should I say that this tends to conform to the view I previously expressed that this is just a story........I guess......
chownah

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:07 am

I dont think its " just a story " even if it is not historical.
The Buddha was not a docetic, pretend, human being. He did not cease to be a human being.
The account shows quite clearly I think that the task of imparting something which was both radical and infinitely subtle gave him pause. This is only an issue if we impute literal omniscience to the Buddha. In other words if we say that merely being The Awakened One is somehow not good enough. He has to be a God too.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:46 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:48 am

Too right. :anjali:

Zom

Postby Zom » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:53 am

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”