YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Is suffering bad???? - Dhamma Wheel

Is suffering bad????

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
DarwidHalim

Is suffering bad????

Postby DarwidHalim » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:10 pm

Dear Members,

Has Buddha ever mentioned suffering is bad?

Or

He just mentioned there is suffering and full stop there. (and the way to avoid it).
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!

David2

Re: Is suffering bad????

Postby David2 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:20 pm

Well, I don't know anyone who tries to have as much sufffering as possible.

Suffering is suffering... you can't enjoy your life while you are suffering - that is bad indeed.

The Buddha often talked about the consequences of Dukkha... these consequences are Samsara.
Those consequences are really bad - suffering follows suffering, that is the wheel of Samsara.

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:45 pm

"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

ground

Postby ground » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:49 pm

chownah

Postby chownah » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:04 am

I think that suffering is a symptom that thinks aren't going right and there is a better way possible.
chownah

jackson

Postby jackson » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:34 am

Greeting DarwidHalim,
I'm with TMingyur on this one, I think suffering can be a good thing, provided it is handled in the right way (that is not rejecting, but allowing it to be as it is so that we may learn from it and let it go). I remember reading a quote from the Dalai Lama when I was fairly new to Buddhism which went something like "As you progress in the practice you actually begin to appreciate suffering", or something like that. I didn't really understand what it implied back then, but now it seems to me that what he meant was that suffering can have great benefit, for I've noticed with myself that the times I'm most motivated to practice and gain the most insight are the really difficult times. So is suffering pleasant? Absolutely not. Does suffering have benefits? It most certainly can, provided we show it the respect it deserves and open up to what it has to teach us.
Just my two cents, hopefully it is of value to you!
With metta,
Jackson
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”