YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Should every child learn meditation at school? - Dhamma Wheel

Should every child learn meditation at school?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Should every child learn meditation at school (if you could decide)?

yes
43%
no (if so why not?)
57%

Total votes: 28

David2

Should every child learn meditation at school?

Postby David2 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:42 pm

Meditation is such a beneficial, important thing... like math or the ability to read and write.

What's your opinion: Should every child learn meditation at school (if you could decide)?
Are there any reasons why not every child should learn meditation at school?

Yes, I know, most politicians and teachers have not yet noticed the importance of meditation... But in something like 500 - 1000 years, who knows if meditation is not much more common in society than today?

Clarence

Re: Should every child learn meditation at school?

Postby Clarence » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:48 pm

I voted No. There is a separation between church and state. We should keep it that way. If meditation could/would be taught strictly secular, then I would be okay with it. Otherwise, not. That is still a long way ahead.

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:59 pm

No, how many school teachers are experienced meditators and can teach it, and to do it meditation is something you've really got to want to do.

When I was at school occasionally we'd be led through relaxation or imagination exercises, this is probably a good enough teaser.

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:05 pm

Some things people have to come to on their own. If you force it on them, they come to reject it.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:07 pm

Whose meditation?

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:12 pm

If you teach meditation, then the rest will want prayer taught too, which in the U.S., would most likely be in the name of Jesus.

I think it is best to keep church and state separate. Being raised Jewish and gone from schools on Jewish holidays, I have the battle scars to show that church and state are best kept apart.

befriend

Postby befriend » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:44 pm

mindfulness of breathing is already being taught in many schools. and they dont even mention the word buddhism when they teach it. there is nothing religious about watching your breath. is it buddhist to taste and apple, is it christian to listen to a bird. meditation is almost as healthy as exercise because it makes you loving and happy which im proves quality of life and the immune system stops bullying and prevents suicide. i dont like exercising but i do it because its good for me. even if you dont like meditation you should do it because its good for you.
nothing can destroy a man who has lived a pure life

befriend

Postby befriend » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:45 pm

you "force" science class on kids, but i guess learning how to find the atomic mass of plutonium is more important in life than understanding how to let go of resentment and self loathing.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:48 pm

befriend

Postby befriend » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:52 pm

the reason kids in school meditate is not the same reason us buddhists meditate. buddhists meditate to reach the deathless and save all beings from infinite suffering. kids in school meditate because it calms the mind, makes them pay attention, it makes them kinder, improves body language, makes them happier, healthier, empathetic, and is a way of controlling temper tantrums. how do you not want to live in a world where every child has experience with metta or mindfulness, is that not THE most intelligent thing to do to develop world peace. what if sadaam hussein practiced metta as a child every day. we can try to disarm the nukes, or we can get rid of where nukes come from, delusional emotions.

David2

Postby David2 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:53 pm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:54 pm

befriend

Postby befriend » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:55 pm

minduflness of breathing or metta, those are the most simple and nont religious meditations, its not like there chanting some brahmin chant. i learned yoga in gym class, do you consider that forcing hinduism on kids?

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:58 pm

befriend

Postby befriend » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:02 pm

ive already cast metta and mindfulness into a religious context?, by saying tasting an apple doesnt belong to any religion? people who would teach these meditation techniques would be people who have experience with meditating in this way.

befriend

Postby befriend » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:06 pm

im not saying mediation CANT have a religious context, of course it can, but you can teach it to people in a secular way, and still help people. LIFE is about being happy and alleviating suffering, i dont even know what your argument is. is there any drawbacks to teaching meditation in schools in a secular way?

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:08 pm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:12 pm

befriend

Postby befriend » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:14 pm

mindfulness doesnt come out of buddhism, its not a belief, buddha discovered it, then he practiced it THEN came buddhism. you dont care about alleviating childrens sufferings, preventing bullying, and suicide, attention defecit disorder, because people might confuse it with mysticism????? where is your compassion in all this, i dont care if i tell a woman to put sunblock on her baby from my car window, in the middle of the summer at noon. you know why? because i dont want that baby to be in hell for the next 3 days. oh no, dont want to break societies proper etiquitte. everyone complains about war. no one does anything to solve it even when the answer is knocking on there door.

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”