Subscribing to topics?

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Vajratantrika

Subscribing to topics?

Post by Vajratantrika »

I may just not be seeing where this function is, or perhaps it is not currently available, but I am trying to figure out how to subscribe to a topic so that I can receive email notifications when others reply. I see the following in the FAQ
How do I subscribe to specific forums or topics?
To subscribe to a specific forum, click the “Subscribe forum” link upon entering the forum. To subscribe to a topic, reply to the topic with the subscribe checkbox checked or click the “Subscribe topic” link within the topic itself.
I do not see a checkbox to click for 'subscribe forum' or 'subscribe topic', nor do I see this option when posting a reply. Am I missing something or is this just not available at present?
May all sentient beings have happiness and its causes,
May all sentient beings be free of suffering and its causes,
May all sentient beings never be separated from bliss without suffering,
May all sentient beings be in equanimity, free of ignorance, attachment and aversion.
Huseng
Former staff member

Re: Subscribing to topics?

Post by Huseng »

Click "bookmark topic" at the bottom in the yellow bit.

In your user control panel look for manage bookmarks.
Vajratantrika

Post by Vajratantrika »

Huseng wrote:Click "bookmark topic" at the bottom in the yellow bit.

In your user control panel look for manage bookmarks.
Aha! Thank you Huseng. :namaste:

Silly me, I looked, but didn't see that before. Now I do. Thanks again for your help.
May all sentient beings be in equanimity, free of ignorance, attachment and aversion.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

If you have posted in a topic then you can just use the "View your posts" button at the top of the page. It'll show up all the threads that you have posted in and show you if any new posts have been made in the thread.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Vajratantrika

Post by Vajratantrika »

Thank you Greg!
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

I have just been referred to this page when I asked the same question. You can see why users are confused;

Most of us are used to forum software which will inform us either immediately, or daily, whatever, according to our preferences set, for receiving emails, when we subscribe to posts.

If you go to the "User Control Panel" -> "Overview" -> "Manage subscriptions" it will say
Below is a list of forums and topics you are subscribed to. You will be notified of new posts in either. To unsubscribe mark the forum or topic and then press the Unwatch marked button.
If you go to "User Control Panel" -> "Overview" -> "Manage bookmarks" it will say
You can bookmark topics for future reference. Select the checkbox for any bookmark you wish to delete, then press the Remove marked bookmarks button.
These two sections clearly have separate functionality, and one should not be confused for the other.

I think the moderators need to address this issue either through re-education or correction, because on the Internet bookmarks do not fulfil the function of subscription to forum threads. They are bookmarks only, as is pretty clearly stated by this forum software. So if the subscription function is not working, could you please either upgrade the software or remove it in the Admin control panel, or have it fixed. This would save a lot of unnecessary confusion.
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications

Return to “Suggestion Box”