‘Unfriending’ annoying people hurts their feelings

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
plwk

‘Unfriending’ annoying people hurts their feelings

Post by plwk »

“Unfriend” someone on Facebook whose posts you find annoying? A new study finds that that person may avoid you, forever. More here
uan

Re: ‘Unfriending’ annoying people hurts their feelings

Post by uan »

plwk wrote:
A new study finds that that person may avoid you, forever.

That might be a win-win situation.

Since this is a Buddhist forum, I have to wonder, how many rebirths would it take before the person avoiding you "forever" decides it was more a figure of speech? :lol:
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

I've been "unfriended" by people I thought I was on good terms with.

It isn't so much about hurt feelings, but just the question as to why. Did I post something offensive?

Life goes on nevertheless.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

uan wrote:
plwk wrote:
A new study finds that that person may avoid you, forever.

That might be a win-win situation.

Since this is a Buddhist forum, I have to wonder, how many rebirths would it take before the person avoiding you "forever" decides it was more a figure of speech? :lol:

:rolling: :rolling:
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
wayland

Post by wayland »

There's an "acquaintance" setting you can park people on so that you don't need to un-friend them. You don't then get to see their posts, which can be a relief.
muni

Post by muni »

While I throw all unfriendly ones in a special bin ( huge size) out of my peace in mind;
"Unless the inner forces of negative emotions are conquered, strife with outer enemies will never end". Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

We want peace.

“Spending your time with true spiritual friends will fill you with love for all beings, and help you to see how negative attachments and hatred are. Being with such friends, and following their example will naturally imbue you with their good qualities, just as all the birds flying around the golden mountain are bathed in it’s golden light.”
Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Thrasymachus

Post by Thrasymachus »

I don't really see how facebook is beneficial in any way. There are photo sharing sites, email and other useful venues that replicate their functionality without the vanity and superficiality. I only see it causing drama, narcissism and hurt feelings over nonsense as mentioned in this article. Ultimately if you don't have someone's phone number or know their real address or email, you don't care to know them much in the first place.

It seems modeled on the crappy celebrity magazines in the United States like People Magazine, US Weekly, etc., where they share the facile, unexamined opinions of celebrities, where their photographer stalkers or publicists post pictures of them at mundane venues like gas stations, coffee shops, or glamorous settings like premieres, and where we can learn who they are dating or broke up with, etc. It encourages Joe Public to have the hubris to mirror that prima-donna behavior and try to compete with each other for following and likes as if they were airheaded celebrities themselves. I am always amazed when I look around me that people actively choose to expend so much effort to live as poorly as possible. Can it just be a dream, a nightmare?
Roland

Post by Roland »

"Seek truth in meditation, not moldy books. Look in the sky to find the moon, not in the pond."
- Persian proverb

Return to “Lounge”